Malazan Empire: New ICE interview with a didbit covering what books are next. - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New ICE interview with a didbit covering what books are next. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

This first was spotted on Westros. Credit where credit is due

http://clarkesworldm...mont_interview/

"What are you working on now and how does it expand upon the previous books and the world of Malaz?

I have a contract with Bantam for four more Malazan novels. I'm really excited by the chance to follow through with these. The first tackles the Korel, or Fistian, subcontinent. It centers on Malazan entanglements there, the Stormriders, and a local religious cult. After that I'll turn to Darujhistan, then events on the continent of Jacuruku, and finally I'll finish up by revealing Assail. All these four fit in with and complete Steve's and my main arc for the world as a whole."

A book for Jacuruku, interesting. Once ICE is finished, we should have every major continent on the world covered.

#2 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:42 PM

Leaving Assail for last...bastard.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#3 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

Jackuruku... hmm... I'll have to reread those sections of RotCG with the freaky mages and things attacking Traveller and the Thel Akai...

Apart from the fact that Iron Bars passed through there we don't know much about Jackuruku (present day) do we?
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

I can't believe it will be 10 years - at least - after Assail was brought up that the mystery is solved. It's an even bigger mystery than the Tyrant of Darujhistan. It's good to know how the novels will progress though. Thanks to TTH and ROTCG we have a fair idea what the next two will be about, but as to the last two...hopefully we get some knowledge in TCG and ICE's next two that will help fuel speculation as to what's going on..
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

Local religious cult, eh? Perhaps it will be the Chanters that got mentioned in the Lees of Laughter's End.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

neat. thanks blackz'.

- Abyss, psyched.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

Great find

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#8 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

Excellent interview.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#9 User is offline   Mistress of the Deck 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Books, casual PC games, Nintendo DS games, music (mainly 70's punk), politics, current affairs.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:38 AM

I have to admit that I'm now actually looking forward to reading the rest of ICE's Malazan novels - I didn't think much of Night of Knives as it didn't give nearly enough information about Kellanved and Dancer (given the title), but Return of the Crimson Guard was excellent and a worthy addition to the Malazan series even though the timeline between RotCG and Toll the Hounds took a bit of figuring out, not to mention 2 or 3 reads of each book!

Lets hope the next book is as good as RotCG. ;)

B)

"Now that's a laugh, isn't it? The most deadly seducers are the ones encouraging conformity. If you can only feel safe when everybody else feels, thinks and looks the same as you, then you're a Hood-damned coward...not to mention a tyrant in the making."

#10 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:20 AM

Good interview! I must say that it's always nice to hear about the background stuff with SE and ICE, there is just so much depth there that it feels...extraordinary, I suppose. *sigh*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#11 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

I would have to say that both NoK and RotCG place just bellow DG, MOI, BH and RG. I really like the focus on the Empire because thats what I really care about, big bad C's like Rake and the like don't hold me like Laseen and Rel and the mortals. I very much look forward to the other ICE novels, is it cause im a born Alaskan?
HAIL THE MARINES!

#12 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

unless all alaskans are inherently masochist no it is not.
sitting down here in the campfire light, waiting on the ghost of tom joad.

#13 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:41 AM

wow

Well, Stonewielder will probably involve stuff form NoK epilogue as its "behind the scenes" plot. Hopefully, there will be more Jaghut.

Darujhistan novel will obviously deal with the Tyrant and Seguleh.

Will Jacuruku have something to do with the Crippled God?

I recall in a much older interview that ICE's last book will complement tCG, meaning we won't get full closure form tCG alone. I wonder, does that mean we'll have to wait till the Assail book for that?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#14 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

My god - I will be past 40 by the end the Malazan story arch...disturbing!
'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

#15 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

Look on the bright side, there are currently unborn infants who will have been dead for thirty years before ASOIAF is finished.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#16 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:20 AM

Any word on if the Stonewielder MS has been handed in? Bantam UK said a while back there were expecting it in late 2009 for late 2010 publication.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#17 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

View PostTremolo, on 08 November 2009 - 05:27 PM, said:

So how do you think I feel about it? :D

@Illy
:D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

View PostSombra, on 28 November 2009 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostTremolo, on 08 November 2009 - 05:27 PM, said:

So how do you think I feel about it? :D

@Illy
:p

You were old even before the story started. Let's hope there is still a life in fantasy after 40, eh. :D

This post has been edited by Tremolo: 29 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

#19 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

View PostTremolo, on 29 November 2009 - 05:46 PM, said:

You were old even before the story started. Let's hope there is still a life in fantasy after 40, eh. :D

Smartarse. :D

I lead a very rich and fulfilling fantasy life - does that count?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#20 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

View PostWerthead, on 25 November 2009 - 05:20 AM, said:

Any word on if the Stonewielder MS has been handed in? Bantam UK said a while back there were expecting it in late 2009 for late 2010 publication.

I've emailed the editor so I'll let you know when he replies.

Edit : The manuscript has been handed in - the estimated publication date is late 2010 as Werthead posted. I've also been told that when it is available (next year some time) we should be able to post a prologue, so let's hope that is the case :D
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users