• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Mistborn Trilogy Eat steel and die!

#21 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

was about to quote that too, but I was distracted by ponies.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#22 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

OK after reading a tiny bit, introduction of Vasher, then Sirri - is this Kelsier and Vin all over again? Come on!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#23 User is offline   DeuceDrizzle 

• Recruit

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

I thought the Mistborn Trilogy was really well done, and I enjoyed it immensely. I actually recommended it to my wife (who has never ready ANY fantasy), and she loved it too. That being said, I thought Elantris was a little blah... I liked all the Raoden point of view portions, and the ending of the book was well done, but overall I thought its pacing was off and could have been better. The world has potential, though, so we shall see what he does with it going forward.

This post has been edited by DeuceDrizzle: 24 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

#24 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

View PostGothos, on 24 May 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

OK after reading a tiny bit, introduction of Vasher, then Sirri - is this Kelsier and Vin all over again? Come on!

Haven't you only just started? A bit early to write them off as clones :D
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#25 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

I'm mostly expecting them to be joined by some sage/scholar/wise guy in a few chapters, along with maybe Sirri falling in love with a fourth character... oh and let's not forget the God King.
I'm really reluctant to go on - I loved Mistborn, but right now it sounds a bit like polishing shit and calling it gold.

edit: Allright, so maybe I'm being overly critical for the sake of being overly critical. I'll go through this book.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 25 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

#26 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Basically you haven't read enough Lightsong chapters yet.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#27 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Eh, Lightsong was fucking pointless. He's good for a few laughs because of his attitude, but he only ever does one critical thing for the plot, and hell, Vasher could probably have done it, too, had Lightsong been written out.

I managed to get through Warbreaker, but Sanderson couldn't prose his way out of a paper bag, and the magic system isn't as impressive or interesting as Allomancy/Hemalurgy/Feruchemy.

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

View PostGothos, on 25 May 2011 - 07:00 AM, said:

I'm mostly expecting them to be joined by some sage/scholar/wise guy in a few chapters, along with maybe Sirri falling in love with a fourth character... oh and let's not forget the God King.
I'm really reluctant to go on - I loved Mistborn, but right now it sounds a bit like polishing shit and calling it gold.

edit: Allright, so maybe I'm being overly critical for the sake of being overly critical. I'll go through this book.

Give it a longer chance. He turns a few things on their ears, and folk like the GodKing and even Vasher and Sirri are not what you expect them to be. Certainly not clones of Vin and Kelsier.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

View PostDeuceDrizzle, on 24 May 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

That being said, I thought Elantris was a little blah... I liked all the Raoden point of view portions, and the ending of the book was well done, but overall I thought its pacing was off and could have been better.

ELANTRIS was his first book...so yeah there are some things he hadn't done right yet...but by the time you reach his latest original book THE WAY OF KINGS, I think you'll forget about the stuff you found off in his first book.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:40 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 May 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostDeuceDrizzle, on 24 May 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

That being said, I thought Elantris was a little blah... I liked all the Raoden point of view portions, and the ending of the book was well done, but overall I thought its pacing was off and could have been better.

ELANTRIS was his first book...so yeah there are some things he hadn't done right yet...but by the time you reach his latest original book THE WAY OF KINGS, I think you'll forget about the stuff you found off in his first book.

Agreed, I really enjoyed The Way of Kings :D
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#31 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

I really did not enjoy Warbreaker nor Elantris at all. I only read them because he was the guy finishing the WoT books.

With that said Way of Kings is AMAZING.

Havent read Mistborn. Dont think I will. Isnt the main char a chick? Not that it matters.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#32 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

View PostBrujah, on 26 April 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

I really did not enjoy Warbreaker nor Elantris at all. I only read them because he was the guy finishing the WoT books.

Havent read Mistborn. Dont think I will. Isnt the main char a chick? Not that it matters.

I thought Mistborn was a very good story. I also liked Way of Kings, but had a hard time reading Elantris (mostly due to Brandon overload at the time; Kaladin and Kelsier and Raoden were all blending together). I haven't read Warbreaker.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#33 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostBrujah, on 26 April 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

So far I think Mistborn is his best work but The Stormlight Archive has more potential.

And yes the main char is a chick.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 26 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

MISTBORN feels like a totally different experience to WOK...to me at least.

#35 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

For me, whilst I did enjoy the Stormlight books, I gave up about three quarters of the way through the first Mistborn book. It just didn't grab me, I found the story dull (orphan girl discovers hidden, powerful talent and is nurtured by wise teacher...), the characters unengaging (especially the girl whose name I forget) and the whole premise faintly ridiculous. Shame, just never worked for me.
Victory is mine!

#36 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostFist Gamet, on 26 April 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

For me, whilst I did enjoy the Stormlight books, I gave up about three quarters of the way through the first Mistborn book. It just didn't grab me, I found the story dull (orphan girl discovers hidden, powerful talent and is nurtured by wise teacher...), the characters unengaging (especially the girl whose name I forget) and the whole premise faintly ridiculous. Shame, just never worked for me.

That's a pity, because the ending is pretty clever. I'd recommend you maybe push through to the end of the book, although I'd say stop there since the next two are mainly more of the same until another good ending for the third book.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#37 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Just restarting the first book after more than two years (lost it on holiday)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users