Malazan Empire: HoosierDaddy - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HoosierDaddy This week, get to know HoosierDaddy.

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

I was thinking that it would be fun for everyone if I were to do an interview of a forum member every 1-2 weeks or so, and then post it in the Inn for all to see. The first week's guinea pig volunteer is your very own, HoosierDaddy!

Questions are mine, answers all submitted by HD.

Enjoy:

1) How were you introduced to the Malazan series?

A couple of friends had originally introduced me to epic fantasy with the Wheel of Time. They both had great taste in fantasy, and when both recommended Gardens of the Moon I read it and was hooked. This was probably only 4 to 5 years ago, because I remember the library was just getting Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice in as hardcovers, so desperation drove me to ordering used books when I could afford them

2) What brought you to Malazan Empire forums?

I began lurking as questions began, inevitably mounting, about just what in the hell was going on in some scenarios. The more I read, the more I liked the debate in the forums, and how it was done politely for the most part. Then, right before TtH, I joined.

3) How did you choose your username?

I'm an American (Fill in the blank). I was born in raised in Indiana, whose motto is "The Hoosier State." (It's because we are all rednecks and don't speak right). So, when you so Hoosier Daddy in Redneckese, it sounds like "Who's your daddy?" Lol. So just a little love for my stomping grounds mixed in with poor humor.

4) Do you remember your first post? What was it and who responded?

Of course. My first post was in the GotM Forum, under the "Other Names" for the first book. I got repped for it. My first topic was about Black Coral, in the Memories of Ice Forum, and how I thought that "Black Coral" would have a big impact because it was the only time the Andii had ever "fully unveiled" Galain, and I thought it might make M.D. vulnerable.

5) Which members do you feel a special connection with?

Lots. I like generally everybody on here. My heart belongs to the Tricksters though. This is such a welcoming place it is almost unbelievable.

6) What are your favorite parts of the forum?

The only forums I do not post in are the writing section (because I suck at writiing) and Gnoll Barrow (because I don't role-play). Otherwise, the Inn and Book Discussion forums are my favorites.

7) What brought you to the habit of using avatars from old sitcoms?

I have no idea. Drunken shenanigans, I think. Plus, they make me laugh. And, if they make me laugh, hopefully someone else will laugh too.

8) What have been your favorite forum "events"?

I was here, but did not take part in, the great Folken avatar day. The Princess Bride episode was fantastic, as well as Saved by the Bell day. Overall though, the release of Toll and the rampant activity on the forum was probably the best thing. I'm betting DoD blows it out of the water.

9) What members would you particularly like to meet in real life?

Wow. Huh. Let me think, I'm planning on meeting Slow Ben not too long from now. The Tricksters, Hetan and Mal so I can both thank them for the forum and then try to reward them by stealing the DoD proof pages. Apt would be interesting I think. I wish I could go to one of the Manky Barbecues, that'd be a blast. Shit, if any of the regulars lived close I'd go have a beer with any of them (assuming they are old enough). People here are pretty funny, and it's hard to come by people interested in the same reading material sometimes, and I love to talk books.

10) What would you estimate is your weekly alcoholic intake?

Lol. By far more than is healthy or even slightly bad for me. Tehol says sleeping (read passing out) on my couch is going to ruin my back.

11) If you were stranded on a desert island with only one MBotF, which one is it?

Tough. Midnight Tides.

12) If you met Steven Erikson and you could only ask one question, what would it be?

Who are in and what is the purpose of the Jade Statues?

13) Who is you favorite character from the series?

Tie. Tehol and Hellian.

14) What are your opinions about "rep"?

It's useful. Provides a measure of community moderation if used correctly. And, it's fun getting repped. Others would disagree.

15) Who wins?

Well, if SE really said what he did.... All of us, for discovering MBotF.

16) How jealous are you of the people who could attend the UK barbecue?

Really jealous. It'd be nice to get all the American and Canadian regulars together. Too bad our continent is sprawling and poorly connected with cheap transport.

17) Do you do any creative writing yourself?

I have attempted. It does not work out. Sadly, I was built to analyze and differentiate, as opposed to create. I would love to have the talent, if I could have any job in the world it would be as an author.

18) When not reading MBotF, what are you typically curling up with?

I just smashed through Brent Week's trilogy last week. I'd say, definitely outside of fantasy, it is Stephen King, easily.

19) Do you keep a personal library, or do the books just cycle through your possession?

I just spent $200.00 last month buying random books that I needed for my book shelves. Books are my hobby, I guess.

20) Please bare one random little known fact about yourself for the peanut gallery please.

I'd hesitate to think about what was so horrific I haven't said it on here yet... the Pub is full of random HD story telling. Hmmmm. Therer are a certain amount of cds that exist, with me rapping on them. Amazingly enough, I was the best bad rapper. I hear about it to this day from friends. They used to play them at house parties in college and then laugh riotously when everybody would stop talking and just start looking around with "what in the hell is this?" faces on.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

Interesting...

It seems like a more formalised way of getting to know your fellow forumites. It seems like an amusing way to waste a bit of time. There are those of us who are more... private... than others. I'll be intrigued to see how you'd get on with interviewing someone who's slightly more cagey.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

I'm surprised the fact that he's a man-whore didnt come up.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

Excellent idea. Do Darkwatch next.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#5 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

Nifty!

#6 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:47 PM

This is a great idea.
Error: Signature not valid

#7 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

I'm very glad I've gone out the other side of the stage where you spend far too much money on every book you can get your hands on... though more out of neccessity than desire I suppose.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

I AM YOUR GUINEA PIG GOD! KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:59 AM

Great idea! I reckon they could be done more often, though this might be because I am not a patient person ;)
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#10 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

lol, great idea
me likey

are the questions going to be similar for all or reflect on each member's unique quirks?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

Some will be stock, some are specialized. Like how much I drink a week. I am NOT airing that amount anywhere.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

Good idea Shinrei! I'm looking forward to the next 'interview'.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#13 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:37 AM

I like this idea!

Might I recommend that after each interview once you've picked who your next will be (and gotten their permission) you let us know in the previous interview thread (ie tell us #2 in here) so we can give you suggestions of questions to ask that person based on our own inside jokes. Of course you get to pick which ones are good enough for the interview!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#14 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:39 AM

I can't believe the rapping part hasn't gotten some raised eye-brows.

D'reks suggestion is a good one. Perhaps 5 to 7 of the questions you are asking Shin/Sorrit.

#15 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:46 AM

These interviews all need to be archived. The good thing about taking suggestions for the next interview is that you can do long ones with minimal effort.
Error: Signature not valid

#16 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:51 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on Jul 20 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

These interviews all need to be archived. The good thing about taking suggestions for the next interview is that you can do long ones with minimal effort.

archiving is a good idea, too. Perhaps copy the OP of each interview thread into a single thread in the Hall of Fame? We don't really need to save the comments after I presume.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#17 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:52 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jul 20 2009, 08:39 PM, said:

I can't believe the rapping part hasn't gotten some raised eye-brows.

I dont know about everyone else, but i'm saving those jokes for a more opportune time. ;)
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#18 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:53 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on Jul 20 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

Excellent idea. Do Darkwatch next.

Wasn't there already a whole thread about that?
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:54 AM

You were willing to take a mannequin wearing a pink sweater to a bar, but not willing to enlighten us as to your most Holy Inquis?

#20 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:56 AM

I did enlighten everyone about the Holy Inquis.
I'm referring to Mezla's thread.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users