Malazan Empire: THE WARRIOR - short story in Mean Streets anthology - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

THE WARRIOR - short story in Mean Streets anthology SPOILERS SPOILERS up to SMALL FAVOUR SPOILERS not blocked...

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

in case you missed it... SPOILERS SPOILERS
MEAN STREETS THE WARRIOR SPOILERS
MAJOR SMALL FAVOUR EVENT FINALE SPOILER
SPOILERS
FUCKING SPOILERS

Finally read this. Finally, FINALLY a Dresden short story in an anthology that is worth reading.

Honestly, the previous shorts have been 'ok', certainly decent Butcher writing, but this was a short on par with his usual Dresden crack fun.

Liked this. Michael was perfect and it was a nice coda to what happened to him in SMALL FAVOUR.
I really enjoyed how even crippled and half blind, Michael with a baseball bat is still a force to be reckoned with.

The Uriel guest appearance and chat with Harry was priceless. And i liked his remark that even Michael can lose it when his kids are involved.

Anyone else read this yet? Thoughts?

- Abyss, never doubted Archangels enjoyed whiskey...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hmmm, I hadn't even heard of the Mean Streets anthology, I will have to give it a try. His other short stories were good as far as satisfying my Dresden cravings, but you're right they weren't stellar. I will let you know what I think of The Warrior as soon as I can get my hands on it.

This post has been edited by teholbeddict: 13 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#3 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

Yup I've read it, and I agree that it's easily the best Dresden short yet.

re: Uriel
Spoiler

This post has been edited by vaiski: 14 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

#4 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

I think that, when it comes to Uriel, we can be pretty much guaranteed that he operated on the fringes of what is deemed 'good'. Killing the first-born children? And Mab respects how he operates. I think that when it comes to good on that level, the mere human interpretation can be left by the wayside, and actions taken by entites can be as mercurial-seeming or downright capricious to a mortal's interpretation as any action by the Faerie Queens.

Even the Denarii occasionally do good to further their own ends, after all.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Uriel wasn't exactly all sweetness and light. He didn't exactly say what happened to Alicia was awful and horrible or that Michael's injuries were unfair, etc. He was also fairly upfront about using Harry and others. I imagine Uriel to be quite cold-blooded when he feels it's just.

He did give us some clarification on just what happened at the end of SMALL FAVOUR, tho', which i was happy about. It always bugged me how Michael was taken out climbing a ladder, shot in the back (side, chest, leg, head...).

- Abyss, wonders if we'll see the Order again, since the swords' story is not yet done.

#6 User is offline   kmgrey 

• Recruit

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, I think it's much, much better than the rest of the Dresden short stories (all of which I have enjoyed). I think the chat between Harry and Uriel at the end is one of the best scenes in the entire series.

I also thought it was a good example of Harry working in relatively "low magic" mode and having to rely more on his wits.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

As an aside, i've finished the other stories in the anthology. Simon R Green's NIGHTSIDE short is pretty much typical for him. The Nightside setting and sheer random sf/fant stuff happening around the story is more interesting than the actual story.

The Kat Richardson's GREYWALKER story is weak anthology fodder. I skipped large chunks of the story after a bit. Nothing to inspire me to pick up anything else she's written.

Thomas Sniegoski's REMY CHANDLER story was quite good. I see he's mostly a YA writer but has done two adult urban fantasy books with this character. Will check them out eventually.

Overall, WARRIOR is still by far the strongest story in the book.

@KMGrey - i agree, and it was neat to see Harry actively not relying on magic, especially at a point post SMALL FAVOR where he's gotten more powerful.

- Abyss, bcs 'splody needs the hitty kicky sometimes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users