Malazan Empire: Movies you need to see. - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Movies you need to see. In the same vein as Apt's music thread.

#1 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

Not sure if this is more appropriate to the Ye Olde Big Movie thread or whatever; if it is could a mod delete/move it?

Anyway, I watched the movie Doubt today, and it was a very powerful movie. I was quite impressed. That got me thinking about great movies that I might have missed that are just as if not more powerful and brilliant in their storytelling. My movie knowledge is middling compared to some of you guys, so I thought I'd ask you what are some brilliant movies. I'm not talking about action movies like Die Hard or blockbusters like Iron Man that are just generally awesome; what I am talking about is movies that have a great story, great acting and are considered the benchmarks of film-making - movies that are a must see to really gain an appreciation of film-making.

So fire away! I'm looking forward to your suggestions.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#2 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

It's really tough to think of movies that are considered the benchmark of film making. How far back do you want to go?
Do subtitles put you off.

I re-watched an old swedish movie, "The Seventh Seal" by Ingmar Bergman a while ago, and it is truly an iconic film. It's a slow movie but i really enjoyed it.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#3 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

A Clockwork Orange
Pi (The symbol, which I cannot type)
Memento
American Psycho
Requiem for a Dream

Are the ones I have seen that aren't popcorn flicks but actually well acted/thought out movies.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

Brilliant movie. Great script, amazing acting, fantastic special effects, what's not to love...

#5 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Not a benchmark in the art of film making but Some Like It Hot is the best comedy ever made, imo. Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis in an all girl band. What's not to love?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#6 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

View PostAptorian, on Jul 7 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

Brilliant movie. Great script, amazing acting, fantastic special effects, what's not to love...

You made baby jesus eat raptor jesus and then bless goat jesus with this post.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

Doubt was really really good.

Shawshank Redemption is my favorite all time story movie...

Taking Chance was a great movie i watched recently with Kevin Bacon, no action at all but really really powerful

Reign Over Me Sandler and Cheadle are awesome in this movie (IMO) very powerful.

a few others that come to mind would be Crash and Weatherman
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hmm...

Okay, some serious suggestions:

Fight Club: Very surprising and interesting first time you see it, and it can be watched again and again.

Blair With Project: Back when it was released that film really fucked with me. I am still not comfortable in the woods.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly: Perhaps one of the best films ever. Certainly the best Western I think I've seen.

John Carpenters "The Thing": One of the best Sci-fi/Monster films I've ever seen. 30 years after it was made and the effects and anamatronics still looks amazing.

Scream: Amazing film back when it came out, it was modern, introspective towards the genre and full of great ideas. Revitalised the slasher genre.

Saw: Like the above, when it came out it was a saltwater injection to the horror industry and showed you could have a great plot in your horror film as well as crazy death scenes.

#9 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

If you want a good western

the Unforgiven is great... I think that was the name of it.

Shawshank is a great movie, but I don't view it as thoughtprovoking which is what I thought the OP was looking for.

If you just want a list of great movies, then every movie in this thread (sans Transformers 2 and, imo, Saw) are great to watch.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:31 PM

Bladerunner - to this day unmatched in the sci fi genre.

Chuck Norris: The Octagon - because back in the 80s, the only thing cooler than ninja was Chuck and this movie has BOTH.

Dark City - highly underrated sf flic that never got the luv it deserved. Arguably did the Matrix before The Matrix.

Fried Green Tomatoes - just kidding.

- Abyss, part time film nut.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

I'm looking for both, essentially. Films that really stand out among their peers, whether it be of an awesome story, a brilliant acting performance a la Heath Ledger as The Joker or a particularly thought-provoking story.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#12 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

Got to have some Kurosawa in here:

Shichinin no samurai (seven samurai) - the remake (magnificent seven) is good, but the original is excellent.

Yojimbo - Toshiro Mifune at his finest (though Sanjuro's pretty damn good too). Yojimbo has also been remade, this time as A Fistful of Dollars and again as Last Man Standing.

Kakushi-toride no san-akunin (The Hidden Fortress) - see the film that inspired large chunks of Star Wars.

on a US note:

Schindler's List remains very powerful for a good reason,

and American History X is good too.
meh. Link was dead :(

#13 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

Apart from The Seventh Seal I don't actually agree with any of anyone's suggestions so far. A lot of them are films that are worth seeing, some of them are films I rather like. But those aren't my criteria for films that people should see. Those should really change the way you view film and what can be done with it. So:

Last Year At Marienbad: This is a film about something... what that might be is rather hard to tell. It messes with both time and narrative like nothing on earth. If you're prepared to put in the work it requires, which is quite a bit, it'll reward you in spades. And it looks absolutely ravishing.

Rashomon: The benchmark for unreliable narrative in film.

Citizen Kane: Pretty much invented modern film technique...

2001: A Space Odyssey: Space, time, destiny, humanity... it's all up for grabs here. But what we're really interested in here is how to create a totally believable imaginary world, down to the finest detail. If only 2001 had really been like this...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

Very much agree with 2001. Possibly the best sci-fi ever created.
Some of my picks

Apocalypse Now an amazing operatic Vietnam film.
Platoon Not sure if its a film that everyone MUST see. Its the best "regular" Vietnam film i think.
Alien The greatest sci-fi horror film.
Casablanca No explanation needed.
Gone with the Wind As above
Once Upon a Time in the West Leone's Western magnum opus
The Hustler Paul Newman, whats not to like?
12 Angry Men A claustrophobic classic.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 07 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

#15 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

Wings

The Broadway Melody

both extremely innovative and did things way before you thought such things were even possible.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#16 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

Boondock Saints - greatest movie ever
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

Weekend with Bernie

#18 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Jul 7 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

Not a benchmark in the art of film making but Some Like It Hot is the best comedy ever made, imo. Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis in an all girl band. What's not to love?

It is a good film, but I knew it'd be a woman that suggested it! My gf has made me watch it at least 50 times, but will she watch any film I suggest? Im a bossy sod, but she takes the bloody galetta.

I recommend City of God. Great film, watched it scores of times, amazing script, fantastic acting considering all those kids were just picked up off the street. Fantastic director and whoever the cameramen were, just superb.

#19 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

Of course, if you want a real cinematic education, you might as well start working through Hitchcock's films. Something I keep meaning to do myself.

As for performances, I don't think Ledger as the Joker was anything that amazing. It was good but movies used to rely on performances like that. I think it is subjective but Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke and Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront are pretty special in my book.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#20 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

Bent wins 1 million interents for beating me to the punch

boondock saints great film
some like it hot still a classic
the 13th warrior my love for this film can not expressed through the medium of the internet
remember the titans/ any given sunday both are great for a long watch, but Titans is just a bit better

ETA: cross post with mezla, for the most part, the current generation of actors are shit compared to the greats.
one film recently that had (imo) a great script and fantastic connection between the actors was in Bruges I'm going to be there in november and eagerly await my first midget actor sighting

This post has been edited by Macros: 07 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users