Malazan Empire: Finnest - what is it? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finnest - what is it? Stupid question, sorry!

#1 User is offline   BalkanPower 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:59 AM

Hi people,

I understand the Finnest is an object (?) where part of the Jaghut Tyrants power was stored. Without it, the tyrant can't access all his powers. Is that right?

If so, then i don't understand how paran could have fought the finnest?

Can anyone explain a bit more about the finnest?

Thanks a lot!

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

That is a good question.

A finnest is a Jaghut creation. It's a kind of vessel for power. In the case of the Raest finnest, it had been used as a prison, denying Raest his power.

Why it suddenly turned into something that seemed intelligent is uncertain. I guess the best bet is that Raest power, as the finnest came closer to the Tyrant, was taking over the finnest.

I wouldn't think too much of it.

#3 User is offline   BalkanPower 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Aptorian, on Jun 16 2009, 09:05 AM, said:

That is a good question.

A finnest is a Jaghut creation. It's a kind of vessel for power. In the case of the Raest finnest, it had been used as a prison, denying Raest his power.

Why it suddenly turned into something that seemed intelligent is uncertain. I guess the best bet is that Raest power, as the finnest came closer to the Tyrant, was taking over the finnest.

I wouldn't think too much of it.

Thank you for the answer. The finnest being "alive" when paran fought it was the thing that threw me off:)

#4 User is offline   Night Hawk 

• Corporal

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

BalkanPower, on Jun 16 2009, 02:59 AM, said:

Hi people,

I understand the Finnest is an object (?) where part of the Jaghut Tyrants power was stored. Without it, the tyrant can't access all his powers. Is that right?

If so, then i don't understand how paran could have fought the finnest?

Can anyone explain a bit more about the finnest?

Thanks a lot!

That's exactly what it is. It's an object in which a Jaghut stores most of their power for safekeeping. Paran fights the finnest I believe either because of its proximity to Raest or Raest inhabiting it as
Spoiler
I actually think it's a little from column A and a little from column B if I remember right
"Too much talk."

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

The Finnest should be within the Azath (it grew right around the Finnest after all), but I'd surmise that even though the Azath surrounded the Finnest, it could not overcome the raw power in it. That whole battle with the Finnest, Paran and Tool is a bit odd though, we don't even know where that is (probably a pocket warren relating to the Azath). As for the Finnest being alive, we learn from later books that
Spoiler
, so maybe a part of Raest's soul/person/existance was trapped in the Finnest along with his power by the other Jaghut, hence its seeming alive-ness...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   Night Hawk 

• Corporal

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:35 AM

D'rek, on Jun 16 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

Spoiler
, so maybe a part of Raest's soul/person/existance was trapped in the Finnest along with his power by the other Jaghut, hence its seeming alive-ness...

That sounds familiar! Nice observation!
"Too much talk."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users