Malazan Empire: Just bought NoK ... in what order is this book to be read in? Is this the prologue? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just bought NoK ... in what order is this book to be read in? Is this the prologue? I want to know in what order I should read the malazan books

#1 User is offline   Ameera 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hi guys, I just bought this book by Esslemont, but I had no idea there were other books by Steven untill I got to see this website...

So could any1 tell me in what order one should read all the books??

like 1,2,3..

#2 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

Well, you can read Night of Knives now and you'll be fine with Erikson, but reading it after Midnight Tides and before Bonehunters (no.6) is probably better, as characters are introduced there that are in Night of Knives. With Return of the Crimson Guard, it's best to read that after Reaper's Gale (no. 7) and before Toll The Hounds (no. 8).

So, this is my recommended reading order:
- Gardens of the Moon (Erikson)
- Deadhouse Gates (Erikson)
- Memories of Ice (Erikson)
- House of Chains (Erikson)
- Midnight Tides (Erikson)
- Night of Knives (Esslemont)*
- Reaper's Gale (Erikson)
- Return of the Crimson Guard (Esslemont)
- Toll the Hounds (Erikson)

* Can read at the beginning, as chronologically it is before any of the other books.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 12 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#3 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

This book chronologically happens before all SE books. However unles you would want some serious spoilers I would say to read it at least after Gardens of the Moon, although I think that it would be better if you read it before The Bonehunters because many characters of NoK are also in TBH.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

Do NOT read it now. It will ruin a lot of the mystery of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

You should read it before Bonehunters.

#5 User is offline   Beliar 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

I'd agree,

I find myself wanting to read NoK to answer and give more info on area's that kept me interested in the earlier books, If i was to know it all before hand (ie readin it before the others) i would not have enjoyed the mystery behind the books half as much, and probably given up.

I'v read up to and including Reapers Gale and am now startin on NoK as my local bookstore didnt have any in stock when i went to buy it along with RG. It will be interested to find out what questions it answers for me i know that much.

#6 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:20 AM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 12 June 2009 - 09:40 AM, said:

This book chronologically happens before all SE books. However unles you would want some serious spoilers I would say to read it at least after Gardens of the Moon, although I think that it would be better if you read it before The Bonehunters because many characters of NoK are also in TBH.

This is what I've been looking for, an excuse to read it even though I'm not very far along in the SE series. And since it happens chronologically before GotM, I prefer to risk spoilers in order to get a fuller picture as it unfolds in Malazan time..

#7 User is offline   Abberon 

• Fist

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

View PostLousy, on 26 March 2010 - 04:20 AM, said:

This is what I've been looking for, an excuse to read it even though I'm not very far along in the SE series. And since it happens chronologically before GotM, I prefer to risk spoilers in order to get a fuller picture as it unfolds in Malazan time..

I would seriously wait. NoK was written for fans of SE's books. Unless you're a few books into the series, I sincerely doubt you'd get as much out of the book as I did. I read it after the Bonehunters (which I wouldn't recommend) but I would recommend waiting until you're 3-4 books into MBotF before bothering. SE doesn't hold your hand and explain every detail of his world, but ICE does it even less, so it's better if you have a fairly good understanding of past and future events before bothering.

I loved NoK, but I don't think I would have liked it at all unless I was already deeply interested in the old Malazan Empire.

#8 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

Yeah, NoK isn't so much an introduction to the "Malaz" world as it is a "bet you always wanted to know what happened that night"-style flashback.

I don't know how much introduction it can do in the span of one night with just a handful of characters, most of whom never appear in the main sequence, or if they do, not until much later. Plus, it doesn't really directly connect with the regular series--though it does spoil some of its revelations.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

Just to complicate the debate, while i did read NoK between RGg and TB and I do think it fits really well in that order, I do not think there is anything that problematic in reading it even before GotM.

The one 'big' revelation isn't that big, imnsho. Also, NoK is a much, MUCH simpler read than GotM or any subsequent SE book and NoK might take away some of the 'i don't know what's happening' angst some people experience in GotM and/or DG.

- Abyss, timeless.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:02 AM

Thanks for the input folks, but it is too late - I have begun! Well, actually only had time for the Prologue. I can promise this, if I find myself wandering a bit lost early on, or feeling too 'spoiled', I will likely set it aside until I'm farther along in the main series.

#11 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

Heh. How will you recognize when you're being spoiled? Heck, the entire book basically is one big spoiler.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#12 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:27 AM

Good point, Z. However, there's enough complexity to the series that spoilers may be an aid, though I'd hate to make it a crutch..

#13 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

NoK spoils a minor mystery that gets resolved in the beginning of DG, if I recall, so in the big picture it's not that big a deal.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 06 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

#14 User is offline   Juss 

• Recruit

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

I read NoK before starting SE's MBotF, NoK didn't make much sense and it took me a lot of time finishing it, I finished it because the story is pretty amazing though. After NoK starting MBotF still took some 'getting into'. All in all I do not recomend reading NoK before finishing house of chains.

#15 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

whenever doing a reread i normally start with NoK then GoTM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic