• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quotes about Kolanse and the Wastelands Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Father of High House Reason 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could post references and quotes from the books about Kolanse and the Wastelands in here. (Someone can then add it to the encyclopedia.)

I quickly tried to read the prolouge discussion but it's too long.

Before page 230 in RG (I've lost the reference as I'm building at the same time as writing this) there is a reference to Kolanse or the Wastelands about a civilisation that went to far and used up all its natural resources and is consuming itself.

If someone knows where this quote is I'd be pretty happy.

There is a "fragment" quoted on p14 RG by the poetess TEsora Veddict which a reference to wasteland in the metaphorical sense, but you never know with SE if there is hidden meaning in it. It refers to children (also a metaphor)

There is a description of a KCCM on Factor BReneda Anict, Expedition into the Wildlands, Official Annals of Pufanan Ibryis, pp62-63 RG.

An expedition (the same as above?) into the wildlands turns back at the sight of what the author says is dragons (could be our flying KCCM friends in fact) Four Days into the Wildlands, Thyrdis Addanict, p85 RG.

Sorry I should write posts before doing building work. :p

#2 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

Well, what I remember:

*The people there worship a Lord of Death.

*It is a protectorate of Lether (or somesuch)

*There may be a form of civil war happening there.

I remember that quote, by Factor Breneda Anict, the text was Journey Into The Wastelands. It didn't mention Kolanse, if I remember rightly. And I don't think Kolanse appears on any maps.

That's about it...have you tried Malazica for more info?

EDIT: Seems you know some things I already said-never mind.

Found the quote-it's lengthy so it is on page 135.

This post has been edited by Ain't_It_Just_: 13 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

My comments in blue

Ain't_It_Just_, on May 13 2009, 03:36 AM, said:

Well, what I remember:

*The people there worship a Lord of Death. They have a god of death in whatever pantheon or system they use, but the death god is not exlusive (and its probably just Hood)

*It is a protectorate of Lether (or somesuch) No it isnt

*There may be a form of civil war happening there. see below

I remember that quote, by Factor Breneda Anict, the text was Journey Into The Wastelands. It didn't mention Kolanse, if I remember rightly. And I don't think Kolanse appears on any maps. right, no maps have shown the eastern half or so of the continent yet

That's about it...have you tried Malazica for more info?

EDIT: Seems you know some things I already said-never mind.

Found the quote-it's lengthy so it is on page 135.

MT, p. 372 for me (UK mmpb, old version)

[...] a privilege that, in the days of Brys's grandfather, would not have been tolerated in a young, fit Letherii. Four years of military service beginning in the seventeenth year had been mandatory. In those days there had been external threats aplenty. Bluerose to the north, the independent, unruly city-states of the archipelago in Dracons Sea, and the various tribes on the eastern plain had been pressuring Lether, driven against the outposts by one of the cyclical expansionist regimes of far Kolanse
Bluerose now paid tribute to King Ezgara Diskanar, the city-states had been crushed, leaving little more than a handful of goat-herders and fisherfolk on the islands, and Kolanse had subsided into isolation following some sort of civil war a few decades past.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

redmask also comments on the situation in kolanse. he muses on how the letherii in the awl'dan will only be able to tame the soil for a generation before it returned to wildland and he compared it to the overfarming in kolanse which caused desert to spread like wildfire.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users