• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wizards

#41 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

Eyes bleed instead of other... leakage. Double eww.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#42 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

Harry has shown the most character development out of any other character I have ever read (IMO) of course that could just be because he has starred in like 11 of his on books but still the Harry from book 1 is not the same Harry in Turncoat, its a gradual progression and Im intrerested to see where he ends up.

/dres-head

This post has been edited by Zanth13: 13 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#43 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:46 AM

True. Harry has in fact aged a decade more or less in the time of the books. JB even typically takes the step of confirming in each book that it's been a year since the previous book's events. He's picked up new tricks, gotten tougher and wiser and his relationships have changed accordingly. The Harry/Murphy dynamic has gone thru any number of changes, by example and without spoiling.

- Abyss, dres-head... heee
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#44 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:00 AM

View PostAbyss, on May 13 2009, 08:46 PM, said:

True. Harry has in fact aged a decade more or less in the time of the books. JB even typically takes the step of confirming in each book that it's been a year since the previous book's events. He's picked up new tricks, gotten tougher and wiser and his relationships have changed accordingly. The Harry/Murphy dynamic has gone thru any number of changes, by example and without spoiling.

- Abyss, dres-head... heee

I suppose I agree with you. It seems he's just become much more jaded in his views of the world and is a lot more uncaring about how he gets to the root of things, just that he does.

I've just about finished Summer Knight, really looking forward to see how this pans out. Especially with Elaine and whatnot.
I still heart Goodkind.

#45 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:44 AM

Wow, I think Assail and I are keeping pace in the Dresdenverse... I had to come to work this morning just as
Spoiler
just before the climax of Summer Knight.

So four books in, and hooked, am I. I still have the fifth book with me (a loaner), but I suspect I will have to go shopping this weekend for books 1 to 11 (or is it 12?). I strongly suspect I'll be caught up and hankering for #12 (or 13, as the case may be) in another couple of weekends...

This post has been edited by Skywalker: 14 May 2009 - 05:45 AM

Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#46 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

View PostSkywalker, on May 13 2009, 10:44 PM, said:

Wow, I think Assail and I are keeping pace in the Dresdenverse... I had to come to work this morning just as
Spoiler

So four books in, and hooked, am I. I still have the fifth book with me (a loaner), but I suspect I will have to go shopping this weekend for books 1 to 11 (or is it 12?). I strongly suspect I'll be caught up and hankering for #12 (or 13, as the case may be) in another couple of weekends...

Dude fucking TRIPPY. Right as I just finished reading the part where Elaine leaves him to die, I come and check here and you talk about it.

This post has been edited by Assail: 14 May 2009 - 06:26 AM

I still heart Goodkind.

#47 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:38 AM

View PostAssail, on May 14 2009, 11:51 AM, said:

Spoiler

Dude fucking TRIPPY. Right as I just finished reading the part where Elaine leaves him to die, I come and check here and you talk about it.

First of all, f'yeah, its trippy all right.

Second of all, I blame my wife and damn job for dragging me away from the book kicking and screaming. You sir, are a sorry excuse for a reader if you could just leave the book and go check the forum.

GET BACK TO IT NOW. and don't spoil the end for me. :)
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#48 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

View PostSkywalker, on May 13 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

Second of all, I blame my wife and damn job for dragging me away from the book kicking and screaming. You sir, are a sorry excuse for a reader if you could just leave the book and go check the forum.

I was getting some food lol, thought I might check in real quick. Anyway so here's what happens!

:wallbash:

Edit: LMFAO. Alls I have to say is
Spoiler

EDIT: Bad Assail, best part of the end :D

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

I still heart Goodkind.

#49 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

View PostAssail, on May 14 2009, 01:47 AM, said:

View PostSkywalker, on May 13 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

I was getting some food lol, thought I might check in real quick. Anyway so here's what happens!

:)

Edit: LMFAO. Alls I have to say is
Spoiler

EDIT: Bad Assail, best part of the end :)

It is an awesome part of the end. But I liked
Spoiler
better.

I'm reading Death Masks now, it's so sick. I can fly through these a book a day they're so addicting. lol

#50 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

Those two lines in SUMMER KNIGHT are pure wincrack in text form - funny, yet action-perfect - even in the midst of the awesome that is that finale. Butcher nailed it there, and then came DEATH MASKS....

I think that was the point where i decided Butcher likes to have a least 3-4 'movie moment' one-liners in every book. His dialogue is generally great fun, but the one-liners are priceless.

Another fun element of SUMMER KNIGHTS was
Spoiler

- Abyss, believes...

#51 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

I'm on Blood Rites now. Unfortunately, my funds for Dresdencrack have temporarily dried up, so I'll have to wait a bit to get the rest of the series. Especially since I finally corrupt...er talked my wife into PnP RP and I'm getting Spirit of the Century.

That's being done by the same company doing the Dresden Files RPG too, with essentially the same rules. :)

#52 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

Damn thread makes me want to go out and get my next fix!

I finished Dead Beat a few weeks back, and I haven't got the next one as I'm trying to pace them a bit.

....resistance failing though!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#53 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

Giveitup. Resistance is futile. You cannot have come out of DEAD BEAT without a deep rooted need for more dresdencrack.

- Abyss, ...is yo pusher...

#54 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

View PostAbyss, on Jun 2 2009, 09:14 AM, said:

Giveitup. Resistance is futile. You cannot have come out of DEAD BEAT without a deep rooted need for more dresdencrack.

The throwaway lines in Dresden are almost as hilarious as Neal Stephenson's too. I was rolling today when I read his response to what he wanted on his vegetarian pizza.

#55 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

View PostRangerSG, on Jun 2 2009, 09:37 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on Jun 2 2009, 09:14 AM, said:

The throwaway lines in Dresden are almost as hilarious as Neal Stephenson's too. I was rolling today when I read his response to what he wanted on his vegetarian pizza.

Spoiler

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#56 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

I like hte end of turn coat when Harry says:

Spoiler

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#57 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, i had a brief moment of like 'did butcher just use the word
Spoiler
in a Dresden book? can he DO that???' but i got over it :)

I also liked back in PG - "
Spoiler
...and somewhere i can't remember where he does a riff on Indiana Jones' 'Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?' but i can't remember the exact line.

- Abyss... "Aptorians. Why did it have to be aptorians?"

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users