• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wizards

#21 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:17 AM

Just keep reading. Lots of revelations and character building to come in the next... 3 to 5 books.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#22 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 12 2009, 09:17 PM, said:

Just keep reading. Lots of revelations and character building to come in the next... 3 to 5 books.

Good stuff. I seriously cannot wait. It's killing me, I'm trying to do school work and Summer Knight is sitting right beside me. Arghghhhghghghgh
I still heart Goodkind.

#23 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

Summer Knight is good stuff. The next one after that... Blood Rites or Death Masks... can't remember, is one of my favorites in the series so far.

Dresden has some fantastic villains.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 13 May 2009 - 04:19 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:26 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 12 2009, 09:18 PM, said:

Summer Knight is good stuff. The next one after that... Blood Rites or Death Masks... can't remember, is one of my favorites in the series so far.

Right on right on. Yah, Death Masks is next. I'm looking forward to it. 20 book series with a capping trilogy though? Jesus I hope Butcher can keep it up.
I still heart Goodkind.

#25 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:27 AM

That's what formula's are good for and why they will help here. We need worry about the humor, not the plot.

#26 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:36 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 12 2009, 09:27 PM, said:

That's what formula's are good for and why they will help here. We need worry about the humor, not the plot.

Oh yeah I'm not too fussed about him losing his plot, I mean thus far it's been fairly easy to follow and probably just as easy to write. You're right, I hope to God it doesn't get unfunny...
I still heart Goodkind.

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

I don't think you should expect a happy ending out of a series that caps off with an apocalyptic trilogy.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

View PostAptorian, on May 12 2009, 11:22 PM, said:

View PostAssail, on May 12 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

Seriously. I love how he throws humour around, it really makes for a good book. It's not always just serious stuff.

Michael is a badass by the way, I love this guy.

Edit: Just finished the 3rd book. Probably will go buy more. Friggin sad man. Ah well. Atleast it seems we'll get to see the White Council owning some Vampires over the next couple of books. And holy shit, are we going to see Dresden unleashed for once when he's NOT half dead? I want to see him at full power wailing on some guy.

Oh, just you wait, Dresden is about to get a rather strong power-up... in two books time.

And Michael is probably my favorite second character, after Mouse. But you'll meet him later. Michael is such a stereotype white knight but set in comtemporary chicago, hunting ghosts and vampires with Dresden is about the coolest thing ever.

Michael is part of the reason the series takes such a jump from good to great in book 3. There's something awesome about the sheer balls it takes for a writer to almost casually write God into a vampires vs wizards story and make it work.

View PostEddie Dean, on May 12 2009, 11:24 PM, said:

I want mouse as my dog.

View PostEddie Dean, on May 12 2009, 11:35 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 12 2009, 10:27 PM, said:

I'm amazed that Abyss has kept his role as Mister secret for this long.

My second favorite character is Gentleman Johnny. Although, the mercenary... ccan't remember his name right now.... is pretty cool too.

Kincaid

Butters (maybe its the polka thing) and Bob are my favorite non-major characters.

There are so many great supporting characters in this series. I think Marcone is an excellent non-villain villain, and Mouse pretty much steals every scene he's in from the moment he's introduced (GRAVE PERIL, i think it was).

Thomas is probably my favourite, but that's by a thin margin over Murphy and Michael. My fondness for Butters rests squarely on his appearance in DEAD BEAT.

View PostAssail, on May 13 2009, 12:11 AM, said:

I'm kinda pumped to see how it all turns out. Just bought the next three. Read all there blurbs and was shocked to see one stating that Susan will have a new man her life. This makes me angry.

I confirm Assail is now on the Dresdencrack.

View PostAssail, on May 13 2009, 12:26 AM, said:

Right on right on. Yah, Death Masks is next. I'm looking forward to it. 20 book series with a capping trilogy though? Jesus I hope Butcher can keep it up.

I loved DEATH MASKS. So MUCH good villainy goodness in that book.

View PostAssail, on May 13 2009, 01:36 AM, said:

Oh yeah I'm not too fussed about him losing his plot, I mean thus far it's been fairly easy to follow and probably just as easy to write. You're right, I hope to God it doesn't get unfunny...

View PostAptorian, on May 13 2009, 11:45 AM, said:

I don't think you should expect a happy ending out of a series that caps off with an apocalyptic trilogy.

Maybe, not a happy ending, but the humour is an aspect of how Butcher writes the series and i doubt he'll ever remove it entirely. He's had Harry cracking jokes in some seriously dire situations up until now and i don't see that stopping.... "I don't believe in faeries!" anyone....?

- Abyss, is not Mister but played him on TV...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

View PostAbyss, on May 13 2009, 10:02 AM, said:

Seriously. I love how he throws humour around, it really makes for a good book. It's not always just serious stuff.

Edit: Just finished the 3rd book. Probably will go buy more. Friggin sad man. Ah well. Atleast it seems we'll get to see the White Council owning some Vampires over the next couple of books. And holy shit, are we going to see Dresden unleashed for once when he's NOT half dead? I want to see him at full power wailing on some guy.

Oh, just you wait, Dresden is about to get a rather strong power-up... in two books time.

And Michael is probably my favorite second character, after Mouse. But you'll meet him later. Michael is such a stereotype white knight but set in comtemporary chicago, hunting ghosts and vampires with Dresden is about the coolest thing ever.

Michael is part of the reason the series takes such a jump from good to great in book 3. There's something awesome about the sheer balls it takes for a writer to almost casually write God into a vampires vs wizards story and make it work.

I want mouse as my dog.

My second favorite character is Gentleman Johnny. Although, the mercenary... ccan't remember his name right now.... is pretty cool too.

Kincaid

Butters (maybe its the polka thing) and Bob are my favorite non-major characters.

There are so many great supporting characters in this series. I think Marcone is an excellent non-villain villain, and Mouse pretty much steals every scene he's in from the moment he's introduced (GRAVE PERIL, i think it was).

Thomas is probably my favourite, but that's by a thin margin over Murphy and Michael. My fondness for Butters rests squarely on his appearance in DEAD BEAT.

I'm kinda pumped to see how it all turns out. Just bought the next three. Read all there blurbs and was shocked to see one stating that Susan will have a new man her life. This makes me angry.

Maybe, not a happy ending, but the humour is an aspect of how Butcher writes the series and i doubt he'll ever remove it entirely. He's had Harry cracking jokes in some seriously dire situations up until now and i don't see that stopping.... "I don't believe in faeries!" anyone....?

Lmao I can totally see Harry pulling that shit on Mab. Oh God. So Elaine just popped back up, curious if she's going to be replacing Susan once Susan comes out with her 'new man' down the track in Death Masks.

Edit: Yes I can confirm my addiction to Dresdencrack. IT'S JUST SO CHEAP AND EASY!

This post has been edited by Assail: 13 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

I still heart Goodkind.

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

View PostAssail, on May 13 2009, 09:51 PM, said:

I want mouse as my dog.

Kincaid

Lmao I can totally see Harry pulling that shit on Mab. Oh God. So Elaine just popped back up, curious if she's going to be replacing Susan once Susan comes out with her 'new man' down the track in Death Masks.

Edit: Yes I can confirm my addiction to Dresdencrack. IT'S JUST SO CHEAP AND EASY!

Hey guys, are we quoting some long posts in here?

#31 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:02 PM

View PostAptorian, on May 13 2009, 01:01 PM, said:

I want mouse as my dog.

Kincaid

I'm not sure, are we? XD
I still heart Goodkind.

#32 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

View PostAptorian, on May 13 2009, 04:01 PM, said:

I want mouse as my dog.

Kincaid

That's the word on the street, Apt.

So, do you think you like Dresden more than Tairy, Assail?

#33 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 13 2009, 01:03 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on May 13 2009, 04:01 PM, said:

I want mouse as my dog.

Kincaid

That's the word on the street, Apt.

Hmm, in seriousness. There is honestly a lot more depth (In my opinion of course lol) to the Sword of Truth novels then there are to Dresden. I do find the Dresden Files to be a more entertaining read though.
I still heart Goodkind.

#34 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

Theres more depth because a new world/creatures/whatever was created for the series. Butcher just used ours and traditional monsters. I've read SOT all the way through (and actually liked some of it), but it doesn't compare with Dresden.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#35 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

View PostAssail, on May 13 2009, 04:13 PM, said:

Aptorian said:

Hmm, in seriousness. There is honestly a lot more depth (In my opinion of course lol) to the Sword of Truth novels then there are to Dresden. I do find the Dresden Files to be a more entertaining read though.

There is hope for you yet.

- Abyss, cut that long post crap off at the knees.

#36 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on May 13 2009, 01:16 PM, said:

View PostAssail, on May 13 2009, 04:13 PM, said:

Aptorian said:

There is hope for you yet.

- Abyss, cut that long post crap off at the knees.

Lol does that mean you agree with my statement?

Perhaps there is hope for YOU yet :p
I still heart Goodkind.

#37 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

View PostAssail, on May 13 2009, 10:13 PM, said:

I... what? ... I don't even...

There's more character development and world building in the first Dresden book than in ther entire sword of truth series. And there's close to none of that in the first Dresden Book :p

There is no depth in the Sword of Truth, just layers of sodomy and misogony mixed in with strange psychobabble.

Don't start to compare Dresden and Dicky Rahl... I might get an anurisme.

#38 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

Oh dear. I shouldn't have opened my big mouth.

#39 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostAptorian, on May 13 2009, 01:33 PM, said:

View PostAssail, on May 13 2009, 10:13 PM, said:

I... what? ... I don't even...

There's more character development and world building in the first Dresden book than in ther entire sword of truth series. And there's close to none of that in the first Dresden Book :p

There is no depth in the Sword of Truth, just layers of sodomy and misogony mixed in with strange psychobabble.

Don't start to compare Dresden and Dicky Rahl... I might get an anurisme.

Oh God, the urge to argue is building! But I will control myself... for now Apt :p Sodomy? I do not remember this is SoT hahaha.
I still heart Goodkind.

#40 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

The Sword of Truth series is sodomy of the mind.

- Abyss, ...ew.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users