• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wizards

#1 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

Just finished Storm Front and I'm wondering about wizards.

There's obviously the White Council and whatnot, but what about other wizards? There's Dresden and that seems it. So would I be correct in my assumption that they're exceedingly rare and uncommon?
I still heart Goodkind.

#2 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

You see more in later books.

But Dresden basically says that most arent in the public eye they way he is so they sort of go under the radar.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Fair enough. I'm sure it's answered later, but why did he choose to 'go public'?
I still heart Goodkind.

#4 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

i don't think its ever specifically addressed per se,

its just part of his whole 'helping the helpless' kind of schtick. you can't get help for supernatural problems
from the police, etc, so he sees himself as filling that role.

At least thats the impression i get. could be way off base.
meh. Link was dead :(

#5 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on May 10 2009, 02:34 PM, said:

i don't think its ever specifically addressed per se,

its just part of his whole 'helping the helpless' kind of schtick. you can't get help for supernatural problems
from the police, etc, so he sees himself as filling that role.

At least thats the impression i get. could be way off base.

Right on. I can understand that then. I'm just starting Fool Moon and already there is talk of Archangels and demon Demigods. Sounds fun :p
I still heart Goodkind.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:46 AM

Wizards seem to just be a title the "priviledged" magic wielder use or is given.

A lot of people are born with talents, like being able to read your fortune in a cup of tea leaves, speaking to the dead, making plants grow, etc. but few are born with enough power to qualify for a position in the Wizards council.

This means that there are a lot of people who never get trained by experienced magic users and do a lot of dangerous or illegal experiments. This is a subject that will become more apparent later in the books and its one of Dresdens biggest problems with the White Council.

#7 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

I think in Blood Rites Dresden says there's about 400 wizards globally, and he's quite high up among them in terms of power. Not certain about that number though, would have to check...
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#8 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

Lmfao just started the third book and am laughing my ass off when he yells at his Godmother, "You shouldn't make contracts with a minor!"

Oh God. I like these books :)
I still heart Goodkind.

#9 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

View PostTraveller, on May 11 2009, 09:23 PM, said:

I think in Blood Rites Dresden says there's about 400 wizards globally, and he's quite high up among them in terms of power. Not certain about that number though, would have to check...

Spoiler

Bad Jitsuiker, bad. No spoilers, Assail is only on the third book.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

Let's just say there are quite a few, spread out around the world, at various levels of power and invovlement in thesupernatural. Not millions, not even tens of thousands, but more than a few.

It becomes clearer as the books progress and i won't spoil it.

Harry went public, at least in part, because he thought he could help people by acting more overtly.

- Abyss, laughing that it took Assail all of three days to go from book 1 to book 3 and yes, we've locked in another one...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

View Postjitsukerr, on May 12 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

Bad Jitsuiker, bad. No spoilers, Assail is only on the third book.

Oops, sowwy!
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#12 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

View PostAbyss, on May 12 2009, 06:09 AM, said:

Let's just say there are quite a few, spread out around the world, at various levels of power and invovlement in thesupernatural. Not millions, not even tens of thousands, but more than a few.

It becomes clearer as the books progress and i won't spoil it.

Harry went public, at least in part, because he thought he could help people by acting more overtly.

- Abyss, laughing that it took Assail all of three days to go from book 1 to book 3 and yes, we've locked in another one...

Hahaha they're very short, it's so easy to read them. I'm just about done with the third. Need to go buy more.

Man I am busting up laughing. Such simple humour, but so funny. He went to Bianca's bloody party dressed as a vampire with a friggin Knight of the Cross all geared up.

Oh man, I've no idea why I'm laughing so hard at this, but it seems very humourous to me.
I still heart Goodkind.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

View PostAssail, on May 12 2009, 03:08 PM, said:

... He went to Bianca's bloody party dressed as a vampire with a friggin Knight of the Cross all geared up.

Oh man, I've no idea why I'm laughing so hard at this, but it seems very humourous to me.

I seem to recall it was reading that bit where i thought 'ok Butcher, you got me'. Michael's chat with the dragon and the bit further on when they charge the vampires just confirmed it.

- Abyss, ...fan.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on May 12 2009, 01:01 PM, said:

... He went to Bianca's bloody party dressed as a vampire with a friggin Knight of the Cross all geared up.

I seem to recall it was reading that bit where i thought 'ok Butcher, you got me'. Michael's chat with the dragon and the bit further on when they charge the vampires just confirmed it.

- Abyss, ...fan.

Seriously. I love how he throws humour around, it really makes for a good book. It's not always just serious stuff.

Michael is a badass by the way, I love this guy.

Edit: Just finished the 3rd book. Probably will go buy more. Friggin sad man. Ah well. Atleast it seems we'll get to see the White Council owning some Vampires over the next couple of books. And holy shit, are we going to see Dresden unleashed for once when he's NOT half dead? I want to see him at full power wailing on some guy.

This post has been edited by Assail: 13 May 2009 - 12:59 AM

I still heart Goodkind.

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:22 AM

View PostAssail, on May 12 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on May 12 2009, 01:01 PM, said:

- Abyss, ...fan.

Seriously. I love how he throws humour around, it really makes for a good book. It's not always just serious stuff.

Michael is a badass by the way, I love this guy.

Edit: Just finished the 3rd book. Probably will go buy more. Friggin sad man. Ah well. Atleast it seems we'll get to see the White Council owning some Vampires over the next couple of books. And holy shit, are we going to see Dresden unleashed for once when he's NOT half dead? I want to see him at full power wailing on some guy.

Oh, just you wait, Dresden is about to get a rather strong power-up... in two books time.

And Michael is probably my favorite second character, after Mouse. But you'll meet him later. Michael is such a stereotype white knight but set in comtemporary chicago, hunting ghosts and vampires with Dresden is about the coolest thing ever.

#16 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:24 AM

I want mouse as my dog.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#17 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:27 AM

I'm amazed that Abyss has kept his role as Mister secret for this long.

My second favorite character is Gentleman Johnny. Although, the mercenary... ccan't remember his name right now.... is pretty cool too.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 13 May 2009 - 03:30 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#18 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 12 2009, 10:27 PM, said:

I'm amazed that Abyss has kept his role as Mister secret for this long.

My second favorite character is Gentleman Johnny. Although, the mercenary... ccan't remember his name right now.... is pretty cool too.

Kincaid

Butters (maybe its the polka thing) and Bob are my favorite non-major characters.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:36 AM

Yeah, there we go. Thanks. Non-major characters... I actually like Lea.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#20 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:11 AM

I'm kinda pumped to see how it all turns out. Just bought the next three. Read all there blurbs and was shocked to see one stating that Susan will have a new man her life. This makes me angry.
I still heart Goodkind.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users