Malazan Empire: BACKUP - short novel featuring Thomas - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BACKUP - short novel featuring Thomas spoilers for all Dresden books allowed, no blocks required

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

I figure now that we have a Butcher subforum i can actually raise this and not worry about spoiling...

From my original post elsethread...

I liked. This story sits on its own and doesn't tie in to any previous book to closely. Worth a read if you're past the sixth book in the series. Not overpriced either, altho still more of a 'limited edition' price for a short story. I like Butcher's work and want to
support him so he gets my dollars.

Butcher gives Thomas his own voice but maintains the 'feel' of the Dresden books nicely. Good fun and worth reading.

Butcher goes inside Thomas' head. The question of course was whether JB could write a story from inside Thomas' head and still make it as interesting as Harry's perspective.I'm happy to say he pulls it off without resorting to Thomas' 'voice' being just like Dresden's. Sure, there are similarities, but we'll push that off on them being brothers and hanging out all the time.I liked this. Thomas' situation, having to run around Harry without Harry knowing he was there, was a nice touch and well pulled off. It wasn't too contrived, nor does it make Harry seem like (too much of ) a patsy for not realizing what's going on - ie: Thomas fools Harry becaise Thomas is clever, not because Harry is a putz.I really liked how Thomas' vampire nature came into play as well.

When all was said and down, and he had the badguy witch at his mercy, he chowed down.

This was a nice touch - for all his efforts at being 'good' and not being like the rest of the White Court, Thomas still indulges his hunger in a fatal to the victim way given a 'justifiable' meal.

Now that TURNCOAT has come and gone, BACKUP holds a bit more significance. Thomas' demon was always closer to the surface than we thought.

Sure there was that scene in SMALL FAVOUR iirc with the jogging and the water bottle, but this made it even more clear, for all his loveable sidekick ways, Thomas is dangerous, inherently evil, and likely to do things Harry wouldn't be okay with even before Shagnasty worked him over.

- Abyss, enjoyed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users