• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hi, I'm a PC. Hi, I'm a hypocrite.

#1 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:41 AM

Okay, first of all, this is not about PC versus Macs. I'm sure they're both fine products and we can all hate Linux together, etc etc

However, I find that Mac's PC-vs-Mac commercials have been getting increasingly annoying because of their increasing hypocrisy. This all culminated in full when I saw their newest one, wherein they poke fun at PC because he supposedly has a lot of legal fine print. If you feel like watching the video, here's the youtube link:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ydh30ZyNu9c

Aside from this being a stupid thing to try and defame a company about, it's also ridiculously hypocritical. Apple thinks that they have very little legal fine print? Well I went up to the Legal page of the Apple site, opened up they're itunes policy agreement, and here's apple being ever-so-minimalist in their fine print:

Posted Image

Highlighted section said:

You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.

Source: http://images.apple....docs/itunes.pdf

Who the fuck would use freaking *itunes* for making WMDs? And yet they felt the need to include that, but also think they have such a moral high ground they can accuse others of having overdoses of legal jargon.

/angry yelling

This post has been edited by D'rek: 28 April 2009 - 03:44 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:43 AM

Holy shit thats funny D.

Mac. Stopping the creation of WMD's. One nerd at a time.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

See, I'm a huge Mac fan but it eats at me that they've sat around and produced these dirty ass, low blow commercials basically flaming Mac. I remember reading an article in which Microsoft buoyed Macintosh back in the late 80s with a couple million and as a result Mac endured and fledged into a huge, highly successful company. I mean shit, sure it was almost 20 years ago, but have some gratitude and respect.
I still heart Goodkind.

#4 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:59 AM

View PostAssail, on Apr 28 2009, 12:44 AM, said:

See, I'm a huge Mac fan but it eats at me that they've sat around and produced these dirty ass, low blow commercials basically flaming Mac. I remember reading an article in which Microsoft buoyed Macintosh back in the late 80s with a couple million and as a result Mac endured and fledged into a huge, highly successful company. I mean shit, sure it was almost 20 years ago, but have some gratitude and respect.

They did twice actually, just before the iPod was released because mac was starting to go under again.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#5 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

View PostDarkwatch, on Apr 27 2009, 09:59 PM, said:

They did twice actually, just before the iPod was released because mac was starting to go under again.

Oh really? See, I like the product but that's just low as hell. Those commercials should have been cut the fuck out long a go, just out of common decency for what Microsoft has done for them.
I still heart Goodkind.

#6 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:24 AM

View PostAssail, on Apr 28 2009, 01:22 AM, said:

View PostDarkwatch, on Apr 27 2009, 09:59 PM, said:

Oh really? See, I like the product but that's just low as hell. Those commercials should have been cut the fuck out long a go, just out of common decency for what Microsoft has done for them.

It's business I guess. Making commercials to bring down others instead of showing yourself off.
Most people know those commercials are shit so I wouldn't make a case about them.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, well, the whole Mac/PC thing is just a waste of space. Really, Mac is being a bit low about it...I just respond with the Dell/Mac Webcam pic. :lol:

tbh, advertising putting down your competition should be banned. It's just wrong - if you can't sell your product based on it's merits alone, and expect other people to compare them, then your product sucks and you shouldn't be selling it.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

That kind of advertisement is actually banned in Denmark. So, yeah, it should be forbidden :lol:

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

God forbid the law be used for something useful. Obviously Danish laws are different than American: as long as the ad doesn't directly mislead (note: not indirectly) it is okay to air on television, or whatever.

Over here, in capitalist land, it's all about putting down your competition. Every chance you get, actually.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

It's actually the same way in South Africa, adverts that mention any of your competitors are against the law. It actually makes for some incredibly clever advertising, since the advertisers have to be very subtle if they want to take a jab at each other. There've been some very funny adverts by BMW and Mercedes especially.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Well they always make sure to say "PC" instead of Microsoft. How very clever of Apple/McIntosh or whoever runs that company.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Apr 28 2009, 12:29 PM, said:

Well they always make sure to say "PC" instead of Microsoft. How very clever of Apple/McIntosh or whoever runs that company.

The South African ones are way more subtle :lol: For instance Mercedes made an advert where someone drives their Mercedes off of one of the more notoriously accident prone roads along table mountain, with the driver emerging unscathed after rolling for 20+ metres. A little while later BMW made an advert, shot from the same angles on the same piece of road. The car drives the entire stretch of road without any accidents, followed by a tagline reading "BMW: Designed to beat the bends". I think they still got in trouble for that, but it was very cleverly done.

Edit - hmmm, sorry if I've taken this off topic a little.

This post has been edited by alt146: 28 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#13 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

I quite like how Microsoft have turned it back on them by having those "I'm a PC" ads with lots of interesting people. The execution is rather annoying though, particularly that current ad with the vile child and his robots *shudder* It is getting to be as interesting as watching the McDonalds v Burger King ad wars.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#14 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Well....maybe some songs can be turned into sonic weapons?

Seriously though, this is just more American govt. paranoia. If they stopped for a second to realise how silly they're being...
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#15 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Apr 28 2009, 04:06 AM, said:

I quite like how Microsoft have turned it back on them by having those "I'm a PC" ads with lots of interesting people. The execution is rather annoying though, particularly that current ad with the vile child and his robots *shudder* It is getting to be as interesting as watching the McDonalds v Burger King ad wars.

I agree, they've done a nice group of commercials with the whole "I'm a PC, I'm a PC, WE'RE A PC!" world wide shit.

I, for one, hope they make a joint commercial in which the Burger King, Jack from Jack in the Box and Ronald McDonald fight to the bloody death. Kind of like the chicken vs Peter Griffin scene.
I still heart Goodkind.

#16 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

OK, could whoever deleted my post here let me know why it was deleted in the first place? As far as I could tell it wasn't breaking any site rules, and I know I'm not just imagining posting it as the gif I attached to the post is still there in my list of attachments.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#17 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on Apr 28 2009, 08:23 AM, said:

OK, could whoever deleted my post here let me know why it was deleted in the first place? As far as I could tell it wasn't breaking any site rules, and I know I'm not just imagining posting it as the gif I attached to the post is still there in my list of attachments.

There is a mystery post deleter abound! Quick, to the Bridgeburner Mobile!

This post has been edited by Assail: 28 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

I still heart Goodkind.

#18 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

Super Mod and up are the only ones with that power in the Inn, The mystery isn't very big.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#19 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on Apr 28 2009, 08:28 AM, said:

Super Mod and up are the only ones with that power in the Inn, The mystery isn't very big.

Are you really going to refuse a chance to Sherlock Holme it up? REALLY?
I still heart Goodkind.

#20 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

Oh you can still play Sherlock Holmes, You have to figure out which of the SuperMods or Admins did it.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users