Malazan Empire: Where to Start? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where to Start? Cos I am too lazy to read anything in this forum...

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:57 AM

Hey guys!

Looking to buy some new good books and have heard some god things about Jim Butcher. What do your recommend I get first?

I would read the reviews and discussions but it is now 2am and I needz ma sleepz.
Thanks. :p
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

Errr, the first book, Storm Front?

#3 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:36 AM

sounds logical, and I agree.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on Apr 27 2009, 02:57 AM, said:

Hey guys!

Looking to buy some new good books and have heard some god things about Jim Butcher. What do your recommend I get first?

I would read the reviews and discussions but it is now 2am and I needz ma sleepz.
Thanks. :p

There are ten books in the series so far, plus some short stories spread over the internet and omnibuses. While the books are each written in a manner that makes it possible to pick up any of the books seperatly and at least understand most of what is happening (I read Fool Moon before Storm Front), it is still by far the best choice to read the book sin the right order.

Each book adds a little piece of a slowly evolving storyline where you see Dresden grow and the stakes getting higher.

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:34 AM

Perhaps he is asking about whether he should read the Codex Alera series first or The Dresden Files first. Codex Alera is good, but it is not nearly as original as the Dresden Files. Codex Alera is "classical fantasy", while Dresden is novel.

I say start with the Dresden Files. But, I also recommend Codex Alera as well.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

I say start with Dresden book 1 Storm Front.

but then, i haven't read Codex yet.

- Abyss, stands by Dresden crack.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

I started the Codex last week, read the first one and I liked it. I'll continue the series because 1) I usually read all of a series, 2) it is Jim Butcher, and 3) It was an interesting start.

Not on the same level to me as Dresden files, but still a good series so far.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

From what I've heard it's only with the later Codex books the series really hits it stride, of course I've also heard people say the series in general is crap as well as great.

I really should try one of them out one of these days.

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

RE: Codex Alera

Definite slow start, but still novel. The main protagonist is a bit.... annoying. By book two he is definitely readable, by book three he is interesting, and by books four and five he is definitely entertaining. However, there are multiple protagonists with POV's. A couple are annoying and never change, sadly. It isn't the best series ever.

Leave no doubt: This series leaves easy to read clues to some things. However, there are definitive mysteries in the series despite that. Books four and five were infinitely superior to books 1 and 2. I expect big things from the final book, Book Six.

While somewhat predictable, the magic system combined with very good strategic and massive warfare combine to make highly entertaining reading, for those who like... Jordan's views of massive battles: (From the top down. However, the main protagonist is often involved in unit fighting, so it isn't entirely Jordan like).
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users