• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#361 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ah, it's up to me then? Bloody hell, I'm no good at listing the good things about something, I'm more of a complainer, really!
Allright, so let's get down to the gist of it:

1. In Morrowind, enemies are not levelled (with the exception of generic guards and some unique NPCs like a lich in Tribunal)
2. In Morrowind, artifacts are not levelled either, and numerous ones have unique models to set them apart from the regular gear
3. In Morrowind, you have more skills - Spear, Short Blade, Long Blade, Medium Armor, Unarmored, Enchant, Axe and Blunt weapon are either gone or merged in Oblivion. It allows for more personalization of your character and some of them actually make more sense (Oblivion forces people using daggers to develop Strength, as opposed to Speed in Morrowind)
4. In Morrowind, there are no limits as to how many skill levels you can gain in a level from a trainer.
5. In Morrowind, there is no quest compass, nor fast travel to points you have on your map. Travel across Vvardenfell is considerably more involving and immersive.
6. In Morrowind, magicka doesn't regenerate continuously. This makes it an actually limited resource, at least in comparison to Oblivion.
7. In Morrowind, you can fail casting spells, creating potions and, most importantly, hitting things with your weapon. This takes us to another point - in Morrowind, weapon skill affects only your chance to land a hit, as opposed to increasing damage in Oblivion.
8. In Morrowind, you can't cast spells with your weapon (and shield) drawn. Good or bad? I think it's better. Also, blocking is character-based, not player-based.
9. In Morrowind, the whole world doesn't automatically know that an item you have is stolen. You can sell stolen items to unwitting merchants who are not the guy you robbed.
10. Merchants have gold limits in both games, but in Morrowind, exhausting a merchant's gold reserve actually means something. Instead of getting right back up to the limit like in Oblivion, time has to pass for the merchant to replenish his supply. If you're going to make a limit like this in a game, Morrowind's system is the one which makes more sense.
11. Expanding on what I've mentioned in point #2, all quest rewards in Morrowind are level-independant - money, artifacts, items. So if I complete the Imperial Legion questline at, say, level 8 or 10, I won't be fixing Chrysamere and Lord's Mail into stunted, nerfed, laughable little trinkets.
12. In Morrowind, Speechcraft isn't a retarted minigame. Neither is picking locks.
13. In Morrowind, fatigue actually drains when you run. Fatigue also reduces your chance for a successful spellcast.
14. In Morrowind, you can kill quest-essential NPCs. They can also be killed during the quest by other NPCs, not just knocked out.
15. In Morrowind, you can actually wear a shirt and pants under your armor.
16. Morrowind also has plenty more types of weapons.
17. In Morrowind, if you murder someone with no witnesses, nobody will know.
18. In Morrowind, merchants usually have their stock available within the game world on shelves, in chests and so on.
19. In Morrowind, cities aren't separate instances but are lodged straight in the game world.
20. Last, but not least, factions. In Morrowind, factions have attribute and skill requirements for advancement. There are also mutually exclusive factions in the form of High House Hlaalu, Redoran and Telvanni. Some quests between different factions may create conflict. And there are PLENTY more fucking factions to join.
21. Addendum: low-level trainers are available easily. Master trainers are hard to find. That different trainers offer training only to a certain level (their own) is fucking awesome.
22. Addendum #2: stacking up skillups for leveling is significantly easier with skills gained after reaching 10/10 still count towards multipliers.
23. Addendum #3: 9 pieces of armor instead of 6. More customizable.
24. Wasn't going to go there but I will: the world. The goddamn world. Cyrodiil was retconned into something absolutely boooring.

Now, what Oblivion, admittedly, has going in it's favour:
1. Sneaking and stealth. Significantly superior to Morrowind's.
2. No storage limit of containers.
3. Houses not in the middle of the wilderness!
4. Skill perks. I really liked that idea, especially lowered encumberance for armor types.

I'll leave differences in alchemy out of the discussion as I'm not entirely on either side of the fence there.

Need more?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#362 Guest_ImpiusMotus_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

I wouldn't play Oblivion without the mods. It is definitely the mods that keeps me going.
Most of those reasons you listed don't really bother me anyways, I never cared much about the leveling and all that, I mostly just play Oblivion to roleplay, I don't really treat it as a game.
Immersion is my most favored factor in a game. And Oblivion (even unmodded) is more immersive than Morrowind.
I did really love Morrowind, I played it for a couple hundred hours. But so far I've gotten over 2000 hours on Oblivion, and still going, but of course, that is because of the mods.

And I actually do have quite a large mod count, I long ago exceeded 274 (the limit) and have been using Wrye Bash since.

Again, most of those issues don't bother me. And the ones that did bother me were easily modded out :no

And you can't say graphics don't matter.

Oblivion is more immersive and alive.

#363 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

View PostImpiusMotus, on 06 July 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

And yet the world itself is far duller. It's so 'generic fantasy.' Like you I didn't really care about the levelling aspects because I loved the role-playing more. To this end, the highly original and atmospheric region in Morrowind was far more interesting to me than the fairly stock fantasy style of Oblivion. The amount of attention given to the Dunmer culture was staggering.

Plus Oblivion never had a dude fall to death from the sky in front of your eyes because of his ridiculously enchanted boots.

Oh, and Use of Weapons, yes, get it on PC, unless you like paying more for the privilege of not being able to use hundreds of awesome mods.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#364 Guest_ImpiusMotus_*

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

View PostKanubis, on 06 July 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

View PostImpiusMotus, on 06 July 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

And yet the world itself is far duller. It's so 'generic fantasy.' Like you I didn't really care about the levelling aspects because I loved the role-playing more. To this end, the highly original and atmospheric region in Morrowind was far more interesting to me than the fairly stock fantasy style of Oblivion. The amount of attention given to the Dunmer culture was staggering.

Plus Oblivion never had a dude fall to death from the sky in front of your eyes because of his ridiculously enchanted boots.

Oh, and Use of Weapons, yes, get it on PC, unless you like paying more for the privilege of not being able to use hundreds of awesome mods.

Morrowind's concept is far more unique and original, I know.
Morrowind has its share of generic flaws. Pretty much every single NPC looks the same, they are all blocky, they all stand in the same spot day and night.

You can't ignore that there are a lot of things Oblivion has that Morrowind didn't.

#365 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

View PostImpiusMotus, on 06 July 2011 - 11:39 AM, said:

Morrowind's concept is far more unique and original, I know.
Morrowind has its share of generic flaws. Pretty much every single NPC looks the same, they are all blocky, they all stand in the same spot day and night.

You can't ignore that there are a lot of things Oblivion has that Morrowind didn't.

Blockiness is fixed by your friends - mods :no
And as for standing in one spot all day - oh GOD I wish they did. But some casually move around, which can get quite annoying in thight spaces like stairs and doors. Especially infuriating in Mournhold, Vivec and Ald'ruhn.
But yeah, implementing some sort of day cycle for NPCs in Oblivion is a clear step forward, can't argue with that. It's good for immersion (makes me think back to Gothic! :p), not so fun from a metagame perspective, and infuriating for powergaming, I imagine :p.

As for NPCs looking the same, you have to take into account that dialogue doesn't do a closeup on their faces in Morrowind. See them from further away - less memorable by far. Though I can't say Oblivion's people are particularly memorable either.

On another note - yesterday my provider decided to screw up internet access for the whole afternoon and evening, so I was forced to do some sidequests in the wild without the aid of uesp.net and... damn, that was good. I have unwittingly ruined by game experience through easy access to locators and guides, and thus lost the exploration value. In my defense I can say I have done everything in that game years ago and I was in a hurry to... well, to something. Dunno what.

In any case, Heimdall is now done with Tribunal, and is going back to Vvardenfell to mop up some remaining issues, like the Morag Tong (only 9 or so Sanguine items left to collect, before I make Eno step down, and then the Grandmaster writs) and Mages' Guild (I want to take the top spot peacefully so I have to work a bit on Trebonius' quests still). Perhaps I'll go and do all the remaining daedric shrine quests too, and complete the Museum of Artifacts (besides Lord's Mail and Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw, which I am using).
On that subject - I have some of the artifacts detailed in the artifact listing book, but I can't turn them in as there's no conversation topic for them - Ring of Khajit and Ring of the Wind. Apparently not all artifacts outlined in the book are proper items for selling to the museum. Anyways, once I turn all of these in, and get my proper mansion on Solstheim, I'll just steal what I want back.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#366 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

With all this talk of morrowind and oblivion, figured it was time for a little bit of skyrim.

http://forums.bethso...-fan-interview/

some interesting stuff.

#367 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

View PostTrull, on 06 July 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

With all this talk of morrowind and oblivion, figured it was time for a little bit of skyrim.

some interesting stuff.

Looks like the ui won't be a console-resolution giant mess like Oblivion. Good.

I hope this new face customisation tool means that you no longer have to spend ages just getting your character to be less mutant than the elephant man.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#368 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

View PostTrull, on 06 July 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

some interesting stuff.

Some things I liked, some I didn't. But I already knew they're dumbing down the char sheet further, what with eliminating attributes entirely. I'd also love to see Medium Armor making a comeback :no They've also removed differences between male and female chars when it comes to stats, which is a bit sad too. Also, even less armor pieces now? Bleh.
I like the crafting, anyway. And tavern brawls. And I really, really hope dragon AI will be well made if they're to be the wildcards here. I also like how they are making enchanting more independant from other magic schools. I do hope that enchanting and alchemy won't turn out to be absurdly OP compared to blacksmithing.

Challange of the day: play Skyrim as a Breton warrior, a Khajiit mage and a Redguard thief.

#369 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Find something as batshit mad as this in Oblivion and we'll talk.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#370 Guest_ImpiusMotus_*

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for that :no That was fun reading.

I think the positives far outweigh the negatives in any case, I'm not stressing at all :p

I find the whole marriage thing interesting, I can't imagine anything like it. I would never have even considered Bethesda would have such a feature...

Tavern brawls sound awfully fun :p

I'm very excited :p

#371 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 06 July 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

That's an awesome find there. Have rep.

#372 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 06 July 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

fucked up.

That guy should be devoting that kind of brain power to world peace or something.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#373 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

Not sure if any one has posted this video on here but I thought it was hilarious!

http://www.youtube.c...9fDM2mo&ob=av3e

Literal Skyrim Trailer.

Also cannot wait for this game.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#374 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

That was hilarious ;) I have not watched those literal trailers since the last AC trailer. You must now be the channel through which my appreciation must flow! Shut up and take my rep!

#375 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2fxVeAVl2I8

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2fxVeAVl2I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

#376 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Steams having a Bethesda Sale, so I FINALLY purchased Morrowind! I started playing it at a friends yearrrrrrrrrs ago, but never got around to playing it again. it finished downloading in less than 2 hours. I love these Old School RPG's it really shows how much heart the modern ones have lost. I hope skyrim can prove me wrong. Enjoying it so far, Created a dark elf named him Anomandaris Dragnipurake hehe.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#377 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

Big picture.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Nyapt Cat: 13 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

#378 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

Yeeeahhhh....

That Khajiit looks bad f'ing ass.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#379 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

I never really understood the appeal of playing the "non-human" type characters in the older games because they looked almost human or weird anyway. Now I think I'm going to chose the catman or lizard man as a character just for the novelty of it.

#380 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, I always wanted to choose the Khajiit for my light armor sneaky character, but seriously, look at that thing. No way i could do a whole playthrough having to look like that. It would just annoy the shit out of me.

But if they're gonna look that good, that'll be awesome.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

33 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users