• 75 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#1481 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostAptorian, on 08 June 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

You need to buff up on your media litteracy if you think that quote is anything but pr fluff.

Todd Howard's promises are worth less than a cows farts and smell very similar.

It's also not a surprising statement though. Bethesda wants to repeat the success of Skyrim. Well, no shit. Anything less and their fanbase will flip their shit.

I think it's more concerning than that, though. This is the same statement made by so many "live service" model games of late. What I hear when Todd Howard says something like that, is "expect ES6 to be like F76", more than anything. Hope I'm wrong, but usually when a company claims they want a game to last a decade it's not because of it's size, scale, or scope - but because of it's aggressively compelling pointless gameplay loops and lack of actual content.

Granted, Elder Scrolls games have a history of sustaining themselves for a long time off the back of modding efforts and, at least for Skyrim, re-releasing on every console ever, so it's less immediately concerning coming from Bethesda than other studios - but still reflexively sets off alarm bells in my head. Especially after F76 and their apparent lack of understanding about how badly they fucked that up.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

"For the record, I'm pretty sure my mind was shouting 'CLICHESTORM' over and over again during the opening of Skyrim...just putting that out there.." - Me.

~Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.~

Share this topic:

• 75 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users