• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#1341 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:09 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 September 2021 - 11:56 AM, said:

Had attempt number 5 or 6 now at Skyrim on the PC because the boy has gotten into it on the Xbox 360 (yeah, we are waiting in vain for Series X to become generally available in Australia ... :p ) and ... the controls still suck. Using your mouse to turn left and right is far too slow, requires way too many swipes - even when I've upped the sensitivity - and means I can't run and turn fast enough in or out of combat. Turning 180 degrees should be one half-swipe or so in either direction, not 5 swipes.

Will go back if they release a version that means I can change all controls to whatever the hell I want. Mouse is for menu, special powers and targetting. :p

I like the look, I like the ideas, not so fussed on menu after menu for using powers (should be able to put on screen icons like SWTOR or hotkeys but as an old bastard I can't find how to do that bit if it exists), love the fluff text/lore/characters/etc. Just can't get over the stupid movement and the inability to fix it. I read somewhere this was a legacy of being a half-arsed port to PC from console.

Maybe ES VI will solve this? If it does maybe I'll have another crack.

Such a shame though, I really did want to play and did try a few times. But something as fundamental as that isn't easily gotten over.

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone here knows of any fantasy single player or MMORPGs that use a similar interface/controls to SWTOR?

First of all, why not just play Skyrim with a controller? It's what the game was designed for.

There's lots of games sorta like SWTOR. There's a new MMO coming out right around now called the New Word. Made by Amazon of all companies.

You could also delve into games like the Dragon Age games, especially Dragon Age: Inquisition might be interesting for you.

There's the Divinity: Original Sin games.

Or Final Fantasy 14. That game is getting a lot of buzz lately now that World of Warcraft is falling off a cliff.

#1342 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:11 PM

View PostAptorian, on 08 September 2021 - 02:09 PM, said:

Had attempt number 5 or 6 now at Skyrim on the PC because the boy has gotten into it on the Xbox 360 (yeah, we are waiting in vain for Series X to become generally available in Australia ... :p ) and ... the controls still suck. Using your mouse to turn left and right is far too slow, requires way too many swipes - even when I've upped the sensitivity - and means I can't run and turn fast enough in or out of combat. Turning 180 degrees should be one half-swipe or so in either direction, not 5 swipes.

Will go back if they release a version that means I can change all controls to whatever the hell I want. Mouse is for menu, special powers and targetting. :p

I like the look, I like the ideas, not so fussed on menu after menu for using powers (should be able to put on screen icons like SWTOR or hotkeys but as an old bastard I can't find how to do that bit if it exists), love the fluff text/lore/characters/etc. Just can't get over the stupid movement and the inability to fix it. I read somewhere this was a legacy of being a half-arsed port to PC from console.

Such a shame though, I really did want to play and did try a few times. But something as fundamental as that isn't easily gotten over.

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone here knows of any fantasy single player or MMORPGs that use a similar interface/controls to SWTOR?

First of all, why not just play Skyrim with a controller? It's what the game was designed for.

This. I play it like this and it's one of my fave games of all time.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1343 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:48 PM

Nah, just can't get into using a controller. I suck at even using them for the Lego games on Xbox. :p

Tried Dragon Age ... something or other. Didn't grab me.

Yeah a bunch of mates play FFXIV but again, it just doesn't grab me.

Why is WoW falling off a cliff?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1344 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:39 PM

Bethesda's not gonna fix the controls, but I'm sure some modders already did.

If you elaborate on how STWOR controls, I might be able to answer.

Kingdoms of Amalur was considered a "single-player MMO", and it came out around same time as Skyrim. Got a recent remaster, too. Try looking into that?

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 08 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1345 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:32 AM

My biggest gripe is the movement controls as described above. I can handle the rest, but the slow left-right turn movement with the mouse instead of A and D is just painful. Because forward and back are W and S, why the fuck are A and D strafe left and right? Q and E are for that. I don't get it.
You know what, I might even be able to handle the mouse bit if it wasn't so damn slllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwww to turn left and right. I want to be able to do a 180 turn with a single short movement of my mouse or (praise be!) the A and D. I don't want to have to swipe 5 times to turn around, or get a mousepad that is as wide as my desk.

Anyhoo, thanks for the suggestions, I'll do some research and check prices on Steam.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 September 2021 - 09:34 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1346 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:43 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 09 September 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

My biggest gripe is the movement controls as described above. I can handle the rest, but the slow left-right turn movement with the mouse instead of A and D is just painful. Because forward and back are W and S, why the fuck are A and D strafe left and right? Q and E are for that. I don't get it.
You know what, I might even be able to handle the mouse bit if it wasn't so damn slllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwww to turn left and right. I want to be able to do a 180 turn with a single short movement of my mouse or (praise be!) the A and D. I don't want to have to swipe 5 times to turn around, or get a mousepad that is as wide as my desk.

Anyhoo, thanks for the suggestions, I'll do some research and check prices on Steam.

So a couple things - A and D as strafe are correct, and you should be be able to turn up turn speed in the options.

What you are asking for is generally considered 'bad' by the majority of the gaming community. That said, I'd think you could remap stuff to your liking, and if you can't do it natively, I'm sure a modder has done it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1347 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:43 PM

A and D being strafe is staple sin FPS games since Doom

Q and E are default lean keys in any game worth its salt that has stealth element and hasn't been totally consolized.

Sucks about the mouse turn being slow, that's the default turning move on PC. Probably can be fixed by a config edit, though. Check PCGamingWiki.com
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1348 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:46 PM

Q and E for strafe? I always knew you were a deviant, Tsundoku.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users