• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12521 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2023 - 05:26 AM

I don't like the John Wick films. I have fallen asleep through all of them at home. Happy to say that I just don't get it. I don't mind action and violence but I find the fight sequences go on so long, there's no soul left to them and I get bored.

On the flip side, I liked Bullet Train. We watched that one night and John Wick 3 a couple of nights later and Mr PigDog can't fathom why I liked one and not the other.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12522 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 April 2023 - 11:48 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2023 - 05:26 AM, said:

On the flip side, I liked Bullet Train. We watched that

BULLET TRAIN has no right to be AS good as it is. EASILY one of my fave movies from last year, and yeah it's better than the JOHN WICK movies (and I like the JW movies).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12523 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 April 2023 - 12:02 PM

I enjoyed the first JW, the second and third were alright.
Nobody is a better, and more fun, take on the dangerous man retired story

#12524 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 April 2023 - 01:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 April 2023 - 11:48 AM, said:

BULLET TRAIN has no right to be AS good as it is. EASILY one of my fave movies from last year, and yeah it's better than the JOHN WICK movies (and I like the JW movies).

Yes Bullet Train has to be one of the most fun movies I've seen in ages.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12525 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 April 2023 - 01:08 PM

I liked all first three. I'm not super invested in the lore or even the character, and they don't touch like The Raid movies or peak Jackie Chan in terms of action choreography, but they're about "as good as" American movies tend to get at it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12526 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2023 - 01:46 PM

View Postworry, on 06 April 2023 - 01:08 PM, said:

I liked all first three. I'm not super invested in the lore or even the character, and they don't touch like The Raid movies or peak Jackie Chan in terms of action choreography, but they're about "as good as" American movies tend to get at it.

This may be the MOST accurate thing you've ever said.

I agree, especially the last part. Action choreography especially only usually sings in America when it's done by Asian Stunt Coordinators (Like Yuen Woo Ping), but even then American Insurance disallow them to use the full extent of their skills.

Like Chad Stahelski is a good stunt-guy/fight choreographer, but he cannot touch some of the Asian choreo's....theres a reason shit like THE MATRIX movies are held up to such high regards in American cinema, and it's cause they hired a choreographer from Hong Kong with a DEEP catalog of hits.

Also, RE: "Peak" Jackie Chan....I always point out that the final fight in GORGEOUS (1999) may not be fancy with the extra bells and whistles that something like his DRUNKEN MASTER fights are using so many props....but it's a technical marvel of a fight and may be one of his very best.

Lastly, Kurt Wimmer (EQUILIBRIUM) walked so that Stahelski could run with regards to Gun Fu....
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12527 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:07 PM

Everything I say is equally accurate, so yeah in that sense it's tied for MOST.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12528 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:22 PM

View Postworry, on 06 April 2023 - 02:07 PM, said:

Everything I say is equally accurate, so yeah in that sense it's tied for MOST.

I dunno man....smash cut endings are still trash.

#12529 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 April 2023 - 03:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 April 2023 - 11:48 AM, said:

I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once and Bullet Train last November on my flight to my honeymoon.

Am I lucky or what lol.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12530 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:01 PM

Just watched John Wick 4.

Amazing action film. Completely ridiculous plot but highly entertaining. So, so many henchpeople get killed in this movie, that I am legitimately worried for their trade. I hope they have great life insurance.

I can't help wishing this was made with Paul Verhovens liberal use of squibs instead of the more neutered digital blood spatter. Maybe in 10 years time and AI can make an enhanced version with extra gallons of blood.

#12531 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:02 PM

D&D HONOR AMONG THIEVES - I totally enjoyed this. Not brilliant, not deep, but it was a fun story, the cast sold it well, the fx were good to great, and the near steady stream of dnd easter eggs and references were a complete treat.

Best. Dragon. Ever.
I need to see the last 30 or so minutes again, may wait til it streams, may not.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12532 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 April 2023 - 01:48 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 April 2023 - 04:02 PM, said:

D&D HONOR AMONG THIEVES - I totally enjoyed this. Not brilliant, not deep, but it was a fun story, the cast sold it well, the fx were good to great, and the near steady stream of dnd easter eggs and references were a complete treat.

Best. Dragon. Ever.
I need to see the last 30 or so minutes again, may wait til it streams, may not.

Seconded. Just saw it tonight and it was a real hoot. The cast looked like they were enjoying it as well.

Eight BMI-challenged dragons out of ten.

For me though the real MVP was Rege-Jean Page. The Paladin's Paladin. And my goodness doesn't the camera just love him? Some serious screen presence - easily 18 charisma.
I'm very very straight, but it's simply not fair someone is that damn good looking. :p
Consider me firmly on the "RJP for Bond" bandwagon. Noone else on any recent "Bond maybe" list I have seen comes close.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 April 2023 - 01:49 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12533 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 April 2023 - 02:37 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 07 April 2023 - 01:48 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 April 2023 - 04:02 PM, said:

Best. Dragon. Ever.

Seconded. Just saw it tonight and it was a real hoot. The cast looked like they were enjoying it as well.

Eight BMI-challenged dragons out of ten.

For me though the real MVP was Rege-Jean Page. The Paladin's Paladin. And my goodness doesn't the camera just love him? Some serious screen presence - easily 18 charisma.
I'm very very straight, but it's simply not fair someone is that damn good looking. :p
Consider me firmly on the "RJP for Bond" bandwagon. Noone else on any recent "Bond maybe" list I have seen comes close.

One of my few nitpicks of the movie.

There a dnd movie. With a Paladin. And we can’t get one damn smite?!?! Come on now.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12534 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:07 PM

RJP don't need no smite.

(insert "smitten" joke)

;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 April 2023 - 09:07 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12535 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 April 2023 - 04:28 PM

D&D:HAT seems to be doing well ...

https://www.news.com...6d6677d160aa648

#12536 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 April 2023 - 04:59 PM

Saw SUPER MARIO BROS with the fam on the weekend. It was a blast. Kids really enjoyed it and there was plenty for older adult fans to enjoy too. Just a really fun outing at the movies.

#12537 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 April 2023 - 01:26 PM

Took me years, but I finally watched RIDDICK....and I'll be real, I LOVED PITCH BLACK and CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK and saw both in theatres....but RIDDICK (the 3rd film) kind of tries to go back to the same well that PITCH BLACK came from, and it kind of feels like a back peddle from the shift away from that in CHRONICLES...like I feel like the whole movie should have been about Riddick trying to reconcile his morals and life with being Lord Marshall amongst Necromonger society....instead he's put back onto a desolate world with beasties that want to kill him and a ragtag band of other people. It feels like a step back.

That said, I'll be in the theatre to see the 4th film where Riddick finally gets home to Furya with bells on.

#12538 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 11 April 2023 - 01:43 PM

View PostAptorian, on 06 April 2023 - 04:01 PM, said:

Just watched John Wick 4.

Amazing action film. Completely ridiculous plot but highly entertaining. So, so many henchpeople get killed in this movie, that I am legitimately worried for their trade. I hope they have great life insurance.

I can't help wishing this was made with Paul Verhovens liberal use of squibs instead of the more neutered digital blood spatter. Maybe in 10 years time and AI can make an enhanced version with extra gallons of blood.

You seen the film - Nobody? If you haven't, worth a watch all things considered...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#12539 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2023 - 07:15 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 April 2023 - 12:02 PM, said:

what am I champ, chopped liver?

#12540 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 11 April 2023 - 09:16 PM

View PostMacros, on 11 April 2023 - 07:15 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 06 April 2023 - 12:02 PM, said:

what am I champ, chopped liver?

Obviously not as I don't like liver! :D

But it's difficult to respond without spoilers.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users