• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11761 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:08 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 August 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

Field of Dreams is one of those sports, feel good classics that gets passed on to newer generations. The same is true for The Sandlot, and Rocky, The Mighty Ducks, and more. I'm of the same mindset though. I'm only going to check it out to see the setting and the location and not going to be bothered with what's going on with the game. After a few wide shots and overhead flyovers with a drone or whatever, that will be enough for me and I'll probably stop watching. I think it's a cool concept though. I hope it isn't a dud, which it very well could be. We'll see I guess.

IDK if most people who don't care about baseball bother watching Field of Dreams... title reminds me I find baseball more boring than sleeping. I've seen Rocky, can't remember if I ever tried to watch the others. Maybe 'passed on' in the sense of parents who like the sports forcing their kids to watch (and not fall asleep?... a coming of age ordeal?).

'…used ritually to enhance the puberty ordeal through which, among many peoples, a youth is ushered out of childhood and is certified an adult. The functions of the drugs movies as teachers, leading participants through experiences of spiritual growth sports mania, are attested by many members of contemporary drug sport cults.'

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 13 August 2021 - 04:08 AM

#11762 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:00 AM

Youngsters here wouldn't know what field of dreams, the mighty ducks and possibly even Rocky are, or what they are about

#11763 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:39 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 August 2021 - 10:00 AM, said:

Youngsters here wouldn't know what the mighty ducks

Disney+ has a first run new show, a long sequel called THE MIGHTY DUCKS: GAME CHANGERS that's been airing which stars Emilio Estevez with cameos by the old Ducks, so they might at least know this one.

The others I agree.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11764 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 August 2021 - 09:30 AM

I think this would get classified as a trailer for Free Guy, but ...

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11765 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:36 PM

Question for you practitioners of celluloid mastery and encyclopedic knowledge of film. Of the two movies - The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile - which one do you recommend? I've never seen either, but they are both similar in setting and story, right?

#11766 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:44 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 August 2021 - 05:36 PM, said:

Question for you practitioners of celluloid mastery and encyclopedic knowledge of film. Of the two movies - The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile - which one do you recommend? I've never seen either, but they are both similar in setting and story, right?

Similar settings... not story.

One is a tragedy the other is an epic.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11767 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:59 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 18 August 2021 - 05:44 PM, said:

I think over time, I've heard and read more touting TSR. Is it the better option?

#11768 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:22 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 August 2021 - 05:59 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 18 August 2021 - 05:44 PM, said:

I think over time, I've heard and read more touting TSR. Is it the better option?

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption is one of 4 novella's in Different Seasons. Also included are The Body (aka Stand By Me), Apt Pupil (also a movie), and The Breathing Method. It is very good, but it is a novella. It does not have the in depth intricacy and story-telling that The Green Mile has. Shawshank is absolutely one of the best, if not the best, movie adaptations of all time. It very closely follows the novella. The novella does have differences, but most of it is in added details and brutality.

The Green Mile is going to give you far more world-building.

Different Seasons is one of my favorite King books because all 4 novella's are excellent, but for someone who reads epic fantasies TGM might be more to your liking. You can get away with just watching Shawshank. TGM is going to offer much more as a book (even though the movie is a pretty darn good adaptation as well).
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11769 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:40 PM

They are both required watching. TGMis more of a tear jerker, SSR is the better film.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11770 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:49 PM

I forgot this was the move thread Posted Image

Shawshank. 10/10 times.

#11771 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:51 PM

Nerd.

#11772 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 August 2021 - 09:04 PM

I just watched The Lighthouse. I'm not going to say I enjoyed it but it was an experience. It felt like the perfect dramatisation of what my mind went through during UK Lockdown II.

Also, I'm never going to work in a lighthouse.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11773 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:45 AM

Saw 'Free Guy' yesterday. It's very entertaining. Not a great film overall but definitely worth a watch, got bit of a Truman Show vibe to it.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11774 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 August 2021 - 07:34 PM

Anyone check out that new Hugh Jackman movie? um, Evanescence?, or is it Reminiscence? (I'm not sure, but I think one was a crappy goth rock band from the early aughts). Is it any good?

I think upon seeing this movie, a lot of viewers might be saying:

Wake me up inside (save me)
Call my name and save me from the dark (wake me up)
Bid my blood to run (I can't wake up)
Before I come undone (save me)
Save me from the nothing I've become

#11775 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:39 PM

There was a Russian Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings ... adaptations ... back in the 80s and early 90s??? This shit is pure :wacko:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 13 September 2021 - 12:50 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11776 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:20 PM

lolz. Disney just hosed subscribers who signed up to get new movies to stream so they can avoid covid potential in theaters. I guess the Scarjo Black Widow thing got them to swerve their battleship?

#11777 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:13 AM

I saw Dune. It was good.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11778 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:19 AM

The fact Dune is out in Europe a month prior to the UK and US is an unusual decision. I want to see it! Staggered releases suck!

#11779 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:09 PM

As we roll into the spooky season, been in a scary movie frame of mind, so watched Dead Ant and Tusk recently.

Dead Ant is terrible. B horror movies are schlocky and low production quality, but can be a lot of fun. Not this one, Tom Arnold is in it and maybe some chuckles come from his performance, but that's it. Thing is, the b-horror plot could have been a hoot - band traveling to "Nochella" does mystical peyote in the desert and are told not to harm a living thing. The name of the movie should give you a clue to what calamity they brought on themselves.

Regarding Tusk. I'm not much into anything that Kevin Smith is associated with, but Tusk was fucked up, in a fucked up horror movie fucked up way. So I enjoyed it. It's fucked up. It has some excellent acting by the guy playing the villain.

[EDIT] Holy crap! I looked up the cast for Tusk and Johnny Depp plays Guy LaPointe, the Sûreté du Québec inspector. I didn't recognize him at all. Aint that crazy?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 22 September 2021 - 03:11 PM

#11780 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:58 PM

Watched Ready Player One. It's eh, alright I guess. Cool CGI as expected. Story adaptation of the book (from what I remember of it, been like a decade since I read it) is a let down. It doesn't really do a good job of bringing to film the same nostalgic feelings seeing past pop culture references. It just sort of is a fun, action filled, CGI special effects movie and not much more.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users