• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pagan/Wicca Who's an expert?

#1 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:10 AM

According to the What are you poll there are at least 4 of you out there. Who can teach me?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:16 AM

I think Wikipedia might be a better place to start.

Or you could just watch "Charmed"...

#3 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

or just start sacrificing random animals till it feels right...

wait must not spam thread...

from wiki

Wicca (IPA: /ˈwɪkə/) is a neopagan, nature-based[1] religion. It was popularised in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant, who at the time called it Witchcraft and its adherents "the Wica".[2]

Wiccans, as followers of Wicca are now commonly known, typically worship a god[3] (traditionally the Horned God) and a Goddess (traditionally the Triple Goddess), who are sometimes represented as being a part of a greater pantheistic Godhead, and as manifesting themselves as various polytheistic deities. Other characteristics of Wicca include the ritual use of magic, a liberal code of morality and the celebration of eight seasonal-based festivals.

There is dispute as to what actually constitutes Wicca. Initially, it referred to the lineage of one of Gardner's rivals, Charles Cardell,[4] although in the 1960s it began to refer instead only to lineages stemming from Gardner and operating as initiatory Mystery Priesthoods (such as Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca). These are now collectively known in North America as British Traditional Wicca.[5] A third usage, which has grown in popularity in recent years, and which was debatably the original usage,[6] considers Wicca to include other forms of Goddess-oriented neopagan witchcraft that are similar to but independent of that lineage, including Cochrane's Craft, Dianic Wicca and the 1734 Tradition; these are sometimes collectively termed Eclectic Wicca.[7][8][9]
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#4 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

Posted Image

ETA: I can read wiki people.

This post has been edited by Cold Iron: 14 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

#5 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:39 AM

then I guess your reduced to sacrificing random animals?

I would start with a pet fish i I where you
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#6 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:48 AM

On a long enough time scale, the survival rate for all threads drops to zero.

#7 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:05 PM

I used to be Wiccan. What do you want to know?
<--angry purple ball of yarn wielding crochet hooks. How does that fail to designate my sex?

#8 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

View PostZanth13, on Apr 13 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

then I guess your reduced to sacrificing random animals?

I would start with a pet fish i I where you

See, now, I'm one for rodents.
I still heart Goodkind.

#9 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

now now. If the thread is to continue like this I might have to move it to the Inn
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#10 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:29 PM

Erm, I don't know of any wiccans who sacrifice animals, just FYI. The whole crede of "An it harm none, do what ye will" seems contrary to the practice.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#11 User is offline   Knight of the Night 

• Claw

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

wiccans DO sacrify animals? hmm... reeely interesting... Actualy I am a bit of a wiccan and I can say: noo dear friends we do not sacrify animals. Why would we do it anyway? We are the children of nature and love her so... Talk such rot to christians who tink we are satans but not HERE. And, thanks Anomander.

#12 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

joining the conversation late, but as a pagan id just like to mention that there is a lot more to it than just Wicca

paganism is an umbrella term for quite a few different belief systems. while some of these systems are incredibly similar, others have absolutely nothing in common.

theres a saying, "you put three pagans in a room, and you get 12 different opinions."

be careful when looking for a teacher, as your more likely to find an ego hungry loon than someone who can actually help you on your way.

Try to have a look at some of the different ideologies out there, and see which one you resonate more with, then try to find a pagan bookshop and become friends with the owner. :)

thats what i did, and i turned out fine....mostly

asking for people you don't know to teach you can lead to several problems later on, as most pagans, whilst quietly helpful, are not prepared to take on a student. Those that take you as a student with hardly a hello are usually dangerous and should be avoided like the inquisition
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#13 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

As Roldom said paganism refers to dozens of nature based, polytheistic religions (Wicca, druidism, shamanism, voodoo, etc.)

Teaching others about the finer points of Wicca becomes a bit tricky. In broad terms I believe in the goddess and god who are manifestations of a greater divine being. Regarding the afterlife I believe in reincarnation to a point; I believe the soul reincarnates a finite amount of times until, for whatever reason, it is granted access to the Summerland (the final, eternal afterlife). I like to refer to Wicca as the religion of choice: you choose what teachings to follow based on what best resonates with you personally; you choose whether to be part of a coven or be a solitary practitioner; etc. The Wiccan Rede (see my last post) is the only all encompassing guideline we are required to follow although some also abide the Rule of Three: whatever energy a person puts out into the world, be it positive or negative, will be returned to that person three times.

I don't have much first hand experience with covens but from what I've read and heard they're a much more strict organization that follow the guidance of a priest/priestess. Initiates are chosen and progress through the ranks via study and various key ceremonies. In my case, as a solitary Wiccan, I was taught the basics (lore, rituals, meditation) by a woman respected in the local community. I was fortunate because as mentioned above there are many sick individuals who prey on the curious and twist their minds. After a few months of study I took part in my first ritual and from then on felt comfortable identifying as Wiccan. Should you find yourself interested in learning more I also agree with checking out your local pagan bookstore (you'd be surprised how widespread they are) and making friends with the staff. Said stores should also have info on any upcoming classes and gatherings.

Shinrei asked me to speak about my religion years ago when this topic first arose and I apologize its taken so long. The level of scorn from closed minded people can be a bit much sometimes and it's caused me to be very leery of openly discussing my beliefs. I don't claim to be an expert nor am I looking to teach anyone the craft. However I will try to answer basic questions to the best of my ability if only to avoid being accused of performing ritual sacrifice. :p

#14 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:20 PM

Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert or anything, but I did spend quite a lot of time hanging out with some pagans a couple of years ago. Some of them were pretty alright people, actually, and several are still my friends. Some flat out disgusted me. But on the whole you guys are OK, you just need better quality control.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#15 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:25 PM

It's true. Most Wiccans/Pagans are normal, friendly people... but then you get the crazies who dress in ye olde garb, believe the fae commune with them and dance in their homes, and think we should be burning Christians to make up for the witch hunts.

#16 User is offline   Goaswerfraiejen 

• Captain

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:42 AM

Opt for Ásatrú instead!

#17 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostAnomander, on 12 April 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

As Roldom said paganism refers to dozens of nature based, polytheistic religions (Wicca, druidism, shamanism, voodoo, etc.)

Teaching others about the finer points of Wicca becomes a bit tricky. In broad terms I believe in the goddess and god who are manifestations of a greater divine being. Regarding the afterlife I believe in reincarnation to a point; I believe the soul reincarnates a finite amount of times until, for whatever reason, it is granted access to the Summerland (the final, eternal afterlife). I like to refer to Wicca as the religion of choice: you choose what teachings to follow based on what best resonates with you personally; you choose whether to be part of a coven or be a solitary practitioner; etc. The Wiccan Rede (see my last post) is the only all encompassing guideline we are required to follow although some also abide the Rule of Three: whatever energy a person puts out into the world, be it positive or negative, will be returned to that person three times.

I don't have much first hand experience with covens but from what I've read and heard they're a much more strict organization that follow the guidance of a priest/priestess. Initiates are chosen and progress through the ranks via study and various key ceremonies. In my case, as a solitary Wiccan, I was taught the basics (lore, rituals, meditation) by a woman respected in the local community. I was fortunate because as mentioned above there are many sick individuals who prey on the curious and twist their minds. After a few months of study I took part in my first ritual and from then on felt comfortable identifying as Wiccan. Should you find yourself interested in learning more I also agree with checking out your local pagan bookstore (you'd be surprised how widespread they are) and making friends with the staff. Said stores should also have info on any upcoming classes and gatherings.

Shinrei asked me to speak about my religion years ago when this topic first arose and I apologize its taken so long. The level of scorn from closed minded people can be a bit much sometimes and it's caused me to be very leery of openly discussing my beliefs. I don't claim to be an expert nor am I looking to teach anyone the craft. However I will try to answer basic questions to the best of my ability if only to avoid being accused of performing ritual sacrifice. :p

Thanks for that - very interesting. Must admit to being rather ignorant on the topic. Your description though, makes me wonder if there is a fair compatibility between Wicca and Shinto.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#18 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

View PostAnomander, on 12 April 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

It's true. Most Wiccans/Pagans are normal, friendly people... but then you get the crazies who dress in ye olde garb, believe the fae commune with them and dance in their homes, and think we should be burning Christians to make up for the witch hunts.

In Denmark we burn wicca...I mean Paga....I mean witche....I mean wiccans every st. Hans' eve :D
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#19 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

Y'all suck! :D

#20 User is offline   SwiftBenjamin 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:55 AM

OP: It's not necessary to buy into their paradigm specifically. Modern Pagan/Wicca mostly comes from medieval Celtic Magick and is a pale imitation at that. Before the New Age movement of the 19th century, there was no such thing as Wicca.

Some schools worth looking at: Hermeticism (see: Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, Builders of the Adytum), Thelema (similar to Hermeticism, founded by Aleister Crowley, see: Ordo Templi Orientis or Ordo A:. A:.), Discordianism/Chaoism (eg: Illuminates of Thanateros, Chaos Magick).

"Nothing is True, everything is permitted."

Good luck!
Nemo saltat sobrius.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users