Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Laseen's Possible Betrayal Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

I am posting here since the answer - if any - could come from any book of MBOTF.

In 1154 of Burn Sleep Surly takes the throne from Ammanas apparently with his and Dancer's consent.

I161 BS Shadowthrone releases the hounds on a troop of Malazan cavalary riders. ...skip...

Ammanas, "And we have time. True vegenence needs the slow, careful stalking of the victims. Have
you forgotten the pain she once delivered to us? GOTM, TOR, pg 35

Does anyone know what pain Laseen caused and why it took seven years to begin retaliation??

This post has been edited by Wampyry: 06 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

Have you read the Night of Knives? Laseen attempted/maybe succeeded in assassinating Kel and Dancer on the night of the shadowmoon. The event where they ascended to become shadow gods.

The motivations and stances mentioned in GotM seem to not coincide with the stories we get in the later books. It is likely that the intent of the gods and empire in GOTM has been altered to fit a more complex scheme revealed in MoI.

#3 User is offline   iRFNA 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

Maybe laseen attempted to do beyond what they expected for "her role". It was shown that when someone was killed, such as oleg, they appeared as a shade. But what would happen in a room with otataral in it? Perhaps laseen attempted to prevent their ascension to godhood completely.

This post has been edited by iRFNA: 06 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:32 AM

Oleg transubstantiated into the Shadow Realm, but he was more or less doing that on purpose and a very powerful magic user as well. I don't think just anyone becomes a shade during the shadow moon. Plenty of assassins from both sides got killed and we didn't see any shades rising from their corpses...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

That would seem to be the case. In NoK Kel and Dancer appear to be trying to gain access to the Deadhouse during the Shadow Moon, presumably because they knew it was their best chance to ascend to godhood. And, with their knowledge of the Azath, maybe they also knew that the azath would also let them choose an unoccupied realm/throne.

The incident with Laseen is unclear. I always assumed from NoK that they intended to walk into Laseens trap; as it was part of their way to ascention, and an escape from Laseen at the same time - which is why she was angry, even though it looked like they'd been killed.

This is contradicted by their attitudes and comments on GotM though. I would guess that SE developed them more fully after GotM; the later books including NoK correlate, leaving GotM as a bit of an anomally. Maybe!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 07 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

classic GOTMism really. The Apsalar plotline which IIRC was to assasinate Laseen makes little sense later on but made perfect sense in GOTM

#7 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the responses. I thought there may be a clue in the ten books written so far. Guess not.
Must have been, as suggested, a change of direction on the part of the authors - particularly Erikson

#8 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:45 AM

View Posttiam, on Apr 8 2009, 07:36 AM, said:

classic GOTMism really. The Apsalar plotline which IIRC was to assasinate Laseen makes little sense later on but made perfect sense in GOTM

Not really a pure GotMism, since Kalam picks up the assassination plot in DH. And ST and the Rope clearly approve of the decision (both to do it and when he ends it).

#9 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:42 AM

I view it that while kellenved and dancer used her plot to overthrow them as a chance to ascend she still betrayed them. They never told her to take over she just did it on her own accord. So she is still a bitch. TBH I dont quite get why every book lasseen seems t come out cooler and cooler in the eys of the characers but I am not seeing it

#10 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

cause said

I view it that while kellenved and dancer used her plot to overthrow them as a chance to ascend she still betrayed them. They never told her to take over she just did it on her own accord. So she is still a bitch. TBH I dont quite get why every book lasseen seems t come out cooler and cooler in the eys of the characers but I am not seeing it

I agree, I dont see see it at all...Still a psychopath power monger to me.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users