• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

#21 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:50 AM

Greetings Mr. Sanderson, good to see you both here and at FBSPosted Image

Amusing how people seem to feel the need to respond to Mr. Sanderson about my thoughts and not merely their own.

I also would like to offer, if Mr. Sanderson did not make an appearance, most of these outright negative, rude, and purposeless comments would never have been posted by those above, which is more telling of their motivation than any response I care to offer. An author audience for some reason makes them comment in such a way, offering them perhaps in their mind some special platform or opportunity. Such a line of thinking is beyond me as I communicate with multilpe authors, editors, and publishers daily regarding business for the insignificant site I am affiliated with.

However I will take the high road:

Regarding statements in prior posts -

* I Edited my response in this post, being a admin and owner of a site that features authors as guests on a weekly basis, I feel the responsibility not to involve myself in the displays by others of childish delusions of grandeur by posters on other genre based boards; comments most often made in anonymity afforded them by the messageboard format as they question the credibility of others*

DD I have sent you a PM, and we will discuss as such if you will Posted Image

My apologies for breaking up the topic of the thread Posted Image

#22 Guest_Dark Daze_*

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:20 PM

I was specifically talking about the first two books of the New Sun. I agree with the SFsite review of Shadow and Claw which said that Wolfe had "a command of the language beyond the ability of 90% of writers working today in or out of the SF field."

Wolfe's use of language is better in a New Sun because it serves it's purpose more than Mievilles style did in Perdido Street Station. Wolfe created a sense of wonder with his combination of terse language and powerful imagery. At times I lost sight of what Mieville was trying to accomplish with his prose and his language as a whole. Maybe he did too because his descriptions often became repetitive. The words had a nice sound and texture though. (As for the vocabulary, I don't think choosing an unknown word over a known word makes language better. Word choice is the important thing.)

#23 User is offline   Lady Atheilen 

• Emerging from the Warrens
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Bullshitting (aka grad school), writing, music, theatre, food
  • The forum's original obnoxious baby sister.

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:02 PM

Have started the book and am enjoying it so far. The writing style is quite distinct and original. It's like a fun adventure story that actually succeeds in being fun for once.

Criticisms so far...
What's with the Incompetent Misogynist Father-In-Law? Sigh. Just once, I'd like to see some brilliant woman-haters or stupid feminists that are actually intentionally stupid. In the modern era, I'd think that anyone who thinks half the population is useless IS an idiot, but Back Then, most kings probably shared Iadon's opinions.

I keep waiting for Sarene to screw up in a big way, but somehow I don't think she will. Same with Raoden. Normally this would make me Really Mad, but right now I'm having too much fun to care. We shall see.

Hrathen might actually be interesting, from the the looks of things. *gasphorror* Usually, evil religious head priests bore me to tears, but well, I read ahead a bit, and now I'm anticipating something more.

#24 Guest_Dark Daze_*

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

Isn't Brandon merely saying that fantasy fans have different criteria of quality than fans of literature and that when a writing professor recommends "A Hundred Years of Solitude" as a blueprint, it makes most of us question his judgment because our favorite parts of fantasy have been lost in the process of blending fantasy with literary fiction?

(I don't know if this holds true for myself since I am always on the look out for stuff that pushes past the low expectations of fantasy. Yet, on the other hand, if something were to become too slow-paced, high brow, or esoteric, I might dismiss it as something for pretentious English majors. For instance, when I tried to read the Gormenghast trilogy, I was halfway convinced that I developed a mild case of narcolepsy.)

#25 User is offline   euol 

• Recruit

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:23 PM

Hey, no worries, folks! I posted because I thought you made your points quite eloquently, and I couldn't resist throwing something in. You were critical, but your comments were informed, and the thread had more meat to it than simple insult trading.

Actually, I've been very impressed of what I've seen of this forum in general. It certainly seems more active than most that are attached to a particular writer.

Anyway, happy reading! Athi, once you’ve finished the book, I’d be very curious to hear your opinion. I have a lot of confidence in it, and certainly hope it doesn’t disappoint. But, if it does, I’d like to hear why.

Dark Daze--the greatest compliment you can pay an author is to read his work. Buying it is secondary, in my opinion. Not that I’d complain if you did. . . . Posted Image

#26 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:56 AM

He had some interesting (by that I mean repeating what superior writers have already said) things to say Here

#27 User is offline   Lady Atheilen 

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:15 PM

LOL, well, maybe I should have been more clear. I didn't think the essay was bad. It just seems like on every single forum I attend, somebody has to bring up Tolkien and whether or not he was good/bad for the genre. It usually degenerates pretty quickly into OMGTolkienshouldneverhaveexisted!!!!111 Mieville is TEH ROXXORZ!!!!!! vs. HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE SACRED WORDS OF THE MASTER OMG???? MIEVILLE IS AN UPSTART!!!! (Mieville ALWAYS comes up.) As someone who likes both authors but isn't passionate about either, I get bored of this really quickly, so at any hint of it, I am on the defensive. Most of these posters don't make their point as well as you do, at least not past the first two posts.

Looking forward to starting the book. Will certainly post what I thought here. One of the reasons I have trepidation is that my expectations are high, so if it's merely okay I'll be disappointed.

Thanks for stopping by.

Athi

#28 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

quote:
The book is a perfect example of what I think causes the disconnect between the lit community and the genre community. I did not enjoy the book.

I'm just looking for clerification on this; What does the disconnect between the lit community, and the genre community, have anything to do with you or anyone not liking a single book? I don't understand how it would be, as both these works, are considered genre works by most authors.

quote:
I enjoyed the prose, but the novel itself lacked a solid plot or characters. Yet, in their minds, this novel was superior to an excellent translucent work, such as a Card novel. (Who I think does Orwellian prose quite well.)

Look, I enjoy Card's work, I really do, and since both are writers of speculative fiction, I don't feel bad about asking this...are we really comparing Orson Scott Card, to a Nobel Prize winner (for Literature), in regards to how they move a plot?

The Buendía family of Marquez, is much better depicted IMHO then any Card creation ever.

quote:
made the mistake of reading Love in the Time of Cholera before reading A Hundred Years of Solitude

I haven't read 'Time of Chloera' (although I am aware of 'Love in the Time of Chlorea'), perhaps a different edition), however my favorite Marquez novel is probably, 'The General in his Labyrinth'.

#29 Guest_johnturing_*

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:15 AM

I agree with you absolutely Ainulindale (except I haven't read Peake yet, but he's on my to read list).

#30 Guest_Dark Daze_*

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ainulindale:

DD I have sent you a PM, and we will discuss as such if you will Posted Image

My apologies for breaking up the topic of the thread Posted Image

Is that some kind of computer virus? I will hunt you down and gut you like the pig that you are.

Just kidding. It's probably some sort of message which won't reach me because I no longer use the email address associated with this name.

I'm also assuming that I am the they with the childish delusions of grandeur...blah, blah, blah. Since you took the high road, we're cool with that. (Our fan club, on the other hand, might not be so forgiving.)

#31 User is offline   euol 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:22 PM

quote:
I agree about Tolkien though - his prose wasn't very good, just longwinded and written as if he was writing the bible at times, but the description itself was usually described by the use of archaic, but simplistic, language

I don't know. I LOVE reading the Hobbit out-loud. There's a rhythm to Tolkien's prose, a beauty, that is very auditory. LotR can get a bit thick at times, but when it's good, I think it's really good.

All this talk of Wolfe reminds me of something my editor wrote on my manuscript once. I'd made a particularly good turn of phrase, using a somewhat obscure vocabulary word. By editor crossed out the word and said "You can't be Gene Wolfe for one sentence!"

I still disagree with that particular change, but I agree with the soul of his comment. I love stories, and I love to tell stories. That's why I became an author. If I let my attempts at writing pretty prose overshadow the story, then I'll end up with a mess--because I think I can write stories as good as (or better than) most of the people writing right now. However, I can't do prose like Mieville or Wolfe. And, if I try to put myself up next to them, I'll just end up making an idiot of myself.

I think, by the way, this is where genre fiction runs into so much trouble with the literary community. Many of them refuse to acknowledge that an excellent story with intentionally translucent prose can be as great a work of art as a meandering story with poetic prose.

#32 User is offline   euol 

• Recruit

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

Whew! You guys are harsh. I didn't think this little essay was all THAT inflammatory. But, then, I guess I can see where you're coming from--I'm immediately wary whenever anyone mentions Tolkien. Generally, I think "Who is this joker, and what business does he have comparing himself to the master?"

Let's see...what can I say in my defense? I'm certainly not Michael Moorcock! He's a man whose writing and mind I respect greatly. Maybe after I've been doing this for thirty years, I'll be where he is. For now, I'm just the new kid on the block.

However, my essay wasn't meant to be a literary masterpiece. I simply noticed something interesting, and thought I'd comment on it. The soul of the essay was by no means meant to be a criticism of Tolkien. It just interested me that by being SO good SO early in the development of fantasy as a genre, he did some interesting things to...well, the development of fantasy as a genre.

I am familiar with China's comments on Tolkien, and I really don't agree with them. One of the reasons I wrote this little essay was to try and offer a different opinion--that, instead of being terrible and ruining fantasy, Tolkien was excellent and ruined fantasy. I admitted inside the essay itself, however, that I was overstating my case intentionally.

But, well, it's no masterpiece--I'll certainly give you that! It's more a blog entry than it is a literary essay. (If it's any consolation, I wrote it a while ago for a website run by a friend of mine. I didn't actually intend to post it to my site--but my brother and webmaster has been collecting a lot of my writings over the years and putting them together in one 'rants' section. I was amused that this was the essay that popped up the same month that my book was released--but, then, I didn't take it down, either. I still think the concept is interesting.)

Now, let's see. Lady Atheilen--I hope you don't end up thinking the purchase was a mistake! If it's any consolation, I've yet to have anyone read it and dislike it. George Martin thought the ending could use some work, and Kirkus thought that the names were awkward, but both generally liked the novel--and they were the harshest criticisms I've come by so far. I have no trouble in admitting that I’m better at fiction than I am at essays! Posted Image

#33 Guest_johnturing_*

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:36 AM

I agree with SF site's review as well - but I still think Mieville's is better. Mieville's language, for me, is a perfect description of the city of New Crobuzon or whatever he is describing, and any other word would fail to convey the same meaning and have the same effect (particularly "psoriatic" in the opening). Wolfe never hugely impressed me with his language, but his style was excellent. Sometimes it wasn't quite as complex as I would like, but that seemed to fit the character. I just preferred Mieville's language. I don't agree that Wolfe created a sense of wonder though - he was too vague to do that, but I think he achieved exactly what was intended with the novel - his empathy with Severian was perfect, and it felt like reading an account by this torturer with perfect memory, not just another novel by a speculative fiction author. I also think that Mieville's use of choosing unknown words is exaggerated- there were only 3 or 4 occasions in each book for which that was the case for me, at least. I don't think I have a much wider vocabulary than most people, just slightly larger. Mieville also knew exactly what words to use in every situation IMO, but that wasn't necessarily the case for Wolfe, I think, but that reflected Severian's character. I'm not criticisng Wolfe's language as in any way poor, but because of the type of novel he wrote, the writing seemed very slightly weaker.

#34 User is offline   Lady Atheilen 

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:28 PM

*snerk*

I find the whole thing amusing because I like Mieville and Tolkien at roughly the same level and think they have the same strengths and weaknesses.

But maybe we should take this to another thread, if people still feel like discussing it...?

#35 Guest_Duiker_*

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Brys:
I think that Thomas Covenant is one of the best done characters in fantasy, and I wouldn't say that he was particularly depressing, yet people say that he is just a whingy annoying character, which I would say isn't really the case.

No, he is Mr. Sunshine himself. And his adventures are jolly too!

#36 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:08 AM

quote:
Actually, Mieville never comes up because most people haven't heard of him. Instead it's usually people saying Jordan is extremely original and Tolkien was really bad and vice versa.

Without question, at least from my experience, Mievile is the name (along with Moorcock and at times Harrison) that come up in such debates.

Mieville is not an unknown by an stretch to fans of the genre. It guess it depends on what circles one inhabits on the genre, as to what types of disucussion they see.

Most of the time, I have found someone like Jordan is not even mentioned, due to the fact that he is simply not recognized or mentioned by most boards that are chiefly inhabited by fans of "literary fantasy" and the like.

#37 User is offline   Lady Atheilen 

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

Ainulindale- just to be clear, my comments about other debates were in no way directed at you, in case you thought so.

#38 Guest_Dark Daze_*

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:42 PM

I thought Brandon was attacking the pervasiveness of certain aspects of Middle Earth e.g. the racial distribution: dwarves, elves, ogres, humans. Maybe, Brandon's article was self serving and obvious, but to say he has no idea what he is talking about is off base.

I enjoyed reading the Moorcock article again. It reminded me that I might have to sneak around my local library and read some children's books. It also made me aware that not only do I dislike the sentimentalism of Tolkien but that I also dislike some of the conscious subversion of Mieville. I much prefer the unsentimental but unsubversive works of Erikson and Martin (at least that's how they come across to me.)

#39 User is offline   Lady Atheilen 

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, I bought it in hardcover cause of recommendations and my love for magic cities, but I've been hearing I might have made a mistake. Will let you know my thoughts.

#40 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:46 AM

It's being reported Mieville just won the Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel, for 'Iron Council' to go along with the Arthur C. Clarke Award he won earlier this year for it.

Not bad for the worst of his 3 Bas-Lag novelsPosted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users