Malazan Empire: Bugging Questions - Laundry List (Redux) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bugging Questions - Laundry List (Redux) Picking up where I left off pre-RG... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Pedant.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Apr 27 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

Hi... this goes out to anyone who's already finished with Reaper's Gale. I just finished a re-read (upto MT) and thought I'd stoke my curiosity further by asking the lucky few (all of Abyss' braaaainz victims :D ) which of these questions gets answered in RG... I've compiled the list from my re-read and from http://encylopaediam...ica.pbwiki.com/

Of course some of these are unlikely to be answered in RG, because they will be more answerable on in Toll the Hounds rather than in RG... still... one can hope...

If you could just answer with an "Answered in RG" or "Not answered in RG"...

(snip - list removed)

And thanks in advance...

So I was (for anal reasons) looking back at all the threads I'd started on this here board in the past, or those that survived the move... and found this one. and I realized we do have a lot of answers now post-TtH/ RotCG, so thought I'd create a new thread to make another laundry list of unanswered bugging questions that we could add to...

So here are questions from the old list that got answered (and I find it remarkable how many did in RG/ TtH/ RotCG)...

• Where is Dassem? What really happened between him and Hood? Partially answered
  • Where is Scabandari Bloodeye's soul? What form does the finnest that houses it take? Answered
  • Who is Traveller? Answered
  • Where is Toc the Elder? Answered
  • Who is the Eres'al? What is she trying to achieve?Answered
  • What happens when an immovable object (Karsa) meets an irresistible force (Icarium)? :D Answered
  • Why did Menandore - er - do Udinaas? What will come of the child Rud Elalle?Answered
  • Why are the current rulers of Shadow collecting assassins (Vorcan, Nom, Kalam, Apsalar)? Answered - it is Shadowthrone collecting just Kalam
  • What does Feather Witch want/ do with Brys Beddict's finger? Answered
  • Is the Errant the Master of the Holds? Answered
  • Who is Kellanved's child? [Answered
  • Who is Cotillion's daughter? Answered
  • Why did the Eres'al - er again - do Trull? Answered
  • Just what is the deal with the Jade giants? What happened to Heboric? Partly answered

And the still unanswered questions... (updated at the end with the ones from TtH/ RotCG:

• What is the relationship between the holds and the warrens? Is the Empty Hold the "Hold of Death"?
  • What is the relationship between the Tiles of the hold's and the Deck of Dragons?
  • Who was the 'child of indescribable terror' spawned by the Eleint to kill Bloodeye?
  • What is the Otataral Dragon all about? Was this the child of indescribable terror?
  • What is Karsa's long term terrible destiny that the Forkrul Assail that... er... assailed him hinted at in HOC?
  • Who is Trull and the Eres'al's kid? Will he/ she truly take a the throne of a healed Emurlahn?
  • What's the deal with the T'orrud Cabal and the Seguleh (and the mysterious 2nd)?
  • What is Shadowthrone and Cotillions ultimate aim?
  • Who, what, and where is Ardata/ Ardatha?
  • What god does Karsa have to kill?
  • Where are Hood/ Draconus et al now that Dragnipur is toast? Are Whiskeyjack/ the BBs etc back too?
  • Who is the Tyrant of Darujhistan?
  • Who/ what did the Perish go to fight?
  • Where/ how is Icarium?
  • What are the implications of putting an Azath at the place with many gates?
  • What will come of Cotillion and Edgewalker's conclave with the chained dragons in BH?
  • What is the deal with the Stormriders?
  • What does the Adjunct know, and what does she intend to do about it?
  • Where is Ganoes Paran?
  • What is the deal with the multiple gods of war? How will the situation be resolved? What is Toc's role in all this? What about Fener?
  • Who will be the new King of HH Death? Is one needed?
  • How will the Crippled God be "dealt with"? How will the main series end?

If you're into this sort of thing... feel free to add questions to the list.... and discuss.
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#2 User is offline   Fox 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

View PostSkywalker, on Feb 24 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

[*]Who is Kellanved's child? [Answered
[*]Who is Cotillion's daughter? Answered

Hold on, who's Kellanved's child?

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

View PostSkywalker, on Apr 27 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

Hi... this goes out to anyone who's already finished with Reaper's Gale. I just finished a re-read (upto MT) and thought I'd stoke my curiosity further by asking the lucky few (all of Abyss' braaaainz victims :D ) which of these questions gets answered in RG... I've compiled the list from my re-read and from http://encylopaediam...ica.pbwiki.com/

Of course some of these are unlikely to be answered in RG, because they will be more answerable on in Toll the Hounds rather than in RG... still... one can hope...

If you could just answer with an "Answered in RG" or "Not answered in RG"...

(snip - list removed)

And thanks in advance...

So I was (for anal reasons) looking back at all the threads I'd started on this here board in the past, or those that survived the move... and found this one. and I realized we do have a lot of answers now post-TtH/ RotCG, so thought I'd create a new thread to make another laundry list of unanswered bugging questions that we could add to...

So here are questions from the old list that got answered (and I find it remarkable how many did in RG/ TtH/ RotCG)...

• Where is Dassem? What really happened between him and Hood? Partially answered
  • Where is Scabandari Bloodeye's soul? What form does the finnest that houses it take? Answered
  • Who is Traveller? Answered
  • Where is Toc the Elder? Answered
  • Who is the Eres'al? What is she trying to achieve?Answered
  • What happens when an immovable object (Karsa) meets an irresistible force (Icarium)? :D Answered
  • Why did Menandore - er - do Udinaas? What will come of the child Rud Elalle?Answered
  • Why are the current rulers of Shadow collecting assassins (Vorcan, Nom, Kalam, Apsalar)? Answered - it is Shadowthrone collecting just Kalam
  • What does Feather Witch want/ do with Brys Beddict's finger? Answered
  • Is the Errant the Master of the Holds? Answered
  • Who is Kellanved's child? [Answered
  • Who is Cotillion's daughter? Answered
  • Why did the Eres'al - er again - do Trull? Answered
  • Just what is the deal with the Jade giants? What happened to Heboric? Partly answered

And the still unanswered questions... (updated at the end with the ones from TtH/ RotCG:

• What is the relationship between the holds and the warrens? Is the Empty Hold the "Hold of Death"?

The "Empty Hold" was where the Hold of Death would have been, had not Gothos' ritual taken place. I would say there no longer is an "Empty Hold", technically speaking.

• What is the relationship between the Tiles of the hold's and the Deck of Dragons?
  • Who was the 'child of indescribable terror' spawned by the Eleint to kill Bloodeye?
  • What is the Otataral Dragon all about? Was this the child of indescribable terror?

The Otataral Dragon, is evidently Consort in the Eleint Hold, given in Feather Witch's reading in MT. It would make sense that the Consort be anti-magic where Tiam herself is evidently the sole way of making sole-taken eleint and thus incredibly magical. Possibly explains why it was crucified, so that Tiam would be easier to handle in making further soletaken eleint?

• What is Karsa's long term terrible destiny that the Forkrul Assail that... er... assailed him hinted at in HOC?
  • Who is Trull and the Eres'al's kid? Will he/ she truly take a the throne of a healed Emurlahn?

Kettle, I'm pretty sure.

• What's the deal with the T'orrud Cabal and the Seguleh (and the mysterious 2nd)?
  • What is Shadowthrone and Cotillions ultimate aim?

I think it's to foil the Cripple God, who wants chaos in the system, while they want to become ever more powerful.

• Who, what, and where is Ardata/ Ardatha?
  • What god does Karsa have to kill?
  • Where are Hood/ Draconus et al now that Dragnipur is toast? Are Whiskeyjack/ the BBs etc back too?
  • Who is the Tyrant of Darujhistan?
  • Who/ what did the Perish go to fight?

Speculation is that they went to go fight for the "Bolkando Alliance" and begin invasion of Letheras from the East/Southeast.

• Where/ how is Icarium?
  • What are the implications of putting an Azath at the place with many gates?

It means access to that access grants access to Starvald Demelain, the heart of magic.

• What will come of Cotillion and Edgewalker's conclave with the chained dragons in BH?
  • What is the deal with the Stormriders?
  • What does the Adjunct know, and what does she intend to do about it?
  • Where is Ganoes Paran?
  • What is the deal with the multiple gods of war? How will the situation be resolved? What is Toc's role in all this? What about Fener?
  • Who will be the new King of HH Death? Is one needed?
  • How will the Crippled God be "dealt with"? How will the main series end?

If you're into this sort of thing... feel free to add questions to the list.... and discuss.

My answers in bold.

View PostFox, on Feb 24 2009, 07:19 PM, said:

[*]Who is Kellanved's child? [Answered
[*]Who is Cotillion's daughter? Answered

Hold on, who's Kellanved's child?

The Empire is Kellenved's child, as brought up in the discussion between Tayschrenn and Shadowthrone at the end of TBH.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 25 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:46 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Feb 25 2009, 06:01 AM, said:

[*]What is the relationship between the holds and the warrens? Is the Empty Hold the "Hold of Death"?

The "Empty Hold" was where the Hold of Death would have been, had not Gothos' ritual taken place. I would say there no longer is an "Empty Hold", technically speaking.

HoosierDaddy said:

[*]What is the Otataral Dragon all about? Was this the child of indescribable terror?
The Otataral Dragon, is evidently Consort in the Eleint Hold, given in Feather Witch's reading in MT. It would make sense that the Consort be anti-magic where Tiam herself is evidently the sole way of making sole-taken eleint and thus incredibly magical. Possibly explains why it was crucified, so that Tiam would be easier to handle in making further soletaken eleint?

I always thought the "consort" was Draconus. This is further validated when he gets called the "Suzerain of Darkness" in the RotCG prologue, but says "suzerain no more" or some such. The O Dragon is still a mystery.

HoosierDaddy said:

[*]Who is Trull and the Eres'al's kid? Will he/ she truly take a the throne of a healed Emurlahn?

Kettle, I'm pretty sure.

Nope... Kettle was a kid prepared as an empty vessel by the Nameless Ones. One of the two souls within her was a Forkrul Assail (as Silchas Ruin tells her in MT). While her origins are still a mystery, it is fair to assume she was "prepared" by the Nameless Idiots as a seed for a future Azath. Once she had Scabandari's finnest, she completed that role. There were also some threads out there that made an impressive case for why she wasn't Trull's kid... but I'm a lazy bum and can't link to them just now.

HoosierDaddy said:

[*]What is Shadowthrone and Cotillions ultimate aim?

I think it's to foil the Cripple God, who wants chaos in the system, while they want to become ever more powerful.

Well now, I think their end game is the death of magic, and the end of this whole hierarchical Deck of Dragons, and of the Pantheon. Note that ST and Cot both were doing exactly what Rhulad attempted - they were collecting thrones - but they did it so that no one else would use/ abuse that power. Another big and key mystery is what the dynamic duo were up to between their leaving the Empire and their ascension on the night of the Shadow Moon.

HoosierDaddy said:

[*]Who/ what did the Perish go to fight?

Speculation is that they went to go fight for the "Bolkando Alliance" and begin invasion of Letheras from the East/Southeast.

SE is too wily a writer for me to believe that with certainty. What's more, the Adjunct is far too wily a character with too much secret knowledge.

HoosierDaddy said:

[*]What are the implications of putting an Azath at the place with many gates?

It means access to that access grants access to Starvald Demelain, the heart of magic.

Yes, but what will ST and Cot do with that?

This post has been edited by Skywalker: 25 February 2009 - 06:48 AM

Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#5 User is offline   Kah-thurak 

• Corporal

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

I would find it very nice if you provided the answers to the questions you list as "answered" or "parially answered" :D
Confident, Cocky, Lazy, Dead.

#6 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

View PostKah-thurak, on Feb 25 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

I would find it very nice if you provided the answers to the questions you list as "answered" or "parially answered" :D

All righty... happy to help... big spoilers for both TtH and RotCG, so don't read beyond this point if you haven't read either...

• Where is Dassem? What really happened between him and Hood? Partially answered - Dassem Ultor is Traveller; he made his way across several continents in RotCG, fighting folks like Kallor, Skinner, etc. in places ranging from Quon Tali to Jackuruku etc. He even managed to dispatch an Edur exploration ship. In TtH he showed up on Genabackis (was probably put there by ST/ Cot... and of course, played a pivotal role in the convergence at the end.
  • Where is Scabandari Bloodeye's soul? What form does the finnest that houses it take? Answered - Scabandari Bloodeye's finnest was fashioned as an Imass knife by Gothos, who left it with Onrack and Kilava's secret son, Ulshun Pral (?) in the Refugium. Said knife was used by Silchas Ruin to kill Kettle, thus completing his bargain with the Azath and setting up a new Azath house at the very gate of Starvald Demelain
  • Who is Traveller? Answered - Traveller is Dassem Ultor, aka Dessembrae, God of tragedy
  • Where is Toc the Elder? Answered - in RotCG we found that he was on Quon Tali, leading the rebellion against Laseen. He died because the Seti tribesmen he was counting on betrayed him
  • Who is the Eres'al? What is she trying to achieve?Answered - the Eres'al is the "last innocent creature" left. She can travel through time. She is trying, among other things, to set up a successor to the Throne of Shadow - not shadow as we know it, but a fully healed Kurald Emurlahn. She's also trying to keep things from careening out of control by intervening against Icarium's rages, for instance. She may have more on her agenda than we know about however
  • What happens when an immovable object (Karsa) meets an irresistible force (Icarium)? :D Answered - hee hee. Nothing. Karsa realizes Icarium's ma was also TTT and decides not to fight him
  • Why did Menandore - er - do Udinaas? What will come of the child Rud Elalle?Answered - Menandore was counting on Rud Elalle's support in the Refugium in her fight for Scabandari's finnest. Instead he chose to side with his beloved Imass and ensure their survival.
  • Why are the current rulers of Shadow collecting assassins (Vorcan, Nom, Kalam, Apsalar)? Answered - it is Shadowthrone that was collecting just Kalam. It looks like Vorcan and Rallick Nom were kept at bay by the Azath for reasons unknown. They are now unleashed on the world once more, and at the end of TtH run the Assassin's Guild in Darujhistan again, as a... erm... team
  • What does Feather Witch want/ do with Brys Beddict's finger? Answered - she wanted to bring him back for her own purposes; specifically to serve as Mortal Sword for the Errant (who she worshipped as his High Priestess)
  • Is the Errant the Master of the Holds? Answered - Yes
  • Who is Kellanved's child? [Answered - as HoosierDaddy said, the Empire. When Tayschrenn and Kellanved talk about it toward the end of BH, it is quite clear that Tays means the empire.
  • Who is Cotillion's daughter? Answered - Apsalar. Not literal "daughter" but kinda adopted
  • Why did the Eres'al - er again - do Trull? Answered - their kid is to inherit the throne to a healed Kurald Emurlahn
  • Just what is the deal with the Jade giants? What happened to Heboric? Partly answered - the Jade Giants seem to be legions of souls bound in statue form, travelling through space and perhaps time. When they crash on to the planet where the action is, they either cause or merit the creation of veins of otataral around them as mitigation. Heboric saved the world at the end of BH by recognizing himself as Treach's Shield Anvil (not Destriant) and taking all the souls within the Giants that would've otherwise caused an Extinction Level Event into redemption in the depths of Hood's realm

#7 User is offline   Kah-thurak 

• Corporal

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

Thanks a lot :D
Confident, Cocky, Lazy, Dead.

#8 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

View PostKah-thurak, on Feb 25 2009, 06:29 PM, said:

Thanks a lot :D

You're welcome...

And welcome to the forums! :D

#9 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

I'll answer the ones that I can...What is Karsa's long term terrible destiny that the Forkrul Assail that... er... assailed him hinted at in HOC?

I would assume that it's to stop Karsa from becoming Warlord of the world or something. She hinted as such in HoC

Who is Trull and the Eres'al's kid? Will he/ she truly take a the throne of a healed Emurlahn?

A part of me thought it was Kettle. Other than that I don't know.

What's the deal with the T'orrud Cabal and the Seguleh (and the mysterious 2nd)?

They were the mages and army of the Darujhistan tyrants. Although the tyrants aren't around any more, the names and groups still remain. The 2nd is probably nothing more than a powerful seguleh who died and was animated by Hood.

What is Shadowthrone and Cotillions ultimate aim?

I like to think it's got a very Pinky and the Brain theme.

Who, what, and where is Ardata/ Ardatha?

Spider Queen, Elder Goddess and possibly Jacuruku.

What god does Karsa have to kill?

I've always thought it was going to be the new tyrant.

Where are Hood/ Draconus et al now that Dragnipur is toast? Are Whiskeyjack/ the BBs etc back too?

Probably in a similar location to wherever they died. WJ and the BBs weren't killed by Dragnipur, so that wouldn't make any difference to them. They were probably just shunted back to Hood's realm.

Who/ what did the Perish go to fight?

I don't think they were so much fighting as they were preparing the stage for the fourteenth.

What is the deal with the Stormriders?

I vaguely recall someone saying they were Jaghut/Jhag. Other than that I don't know.

What is the deal with the multiple gods of war? How will the situation be resolved? What is Toc's role in all this? What about Fener?

They joined forces to become the planeteers- Er... House of War. Fener is chilling out in The Errant's crib.

How will the Crippled God be "dealt with"? How will the main series end?

Nobody, including the CG, expects the Spanish Inquisition.

#10 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:09 PM

View PostBenji, on Feb 25 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

Probably in a similar location to wherever they died. WJ and the BBs weren't killed by Dragnipur, so that wouldn't make any difference to them. They were probably just shunted back to Hood's realm.

Erm,no. The dead BB when they Ascended didn't go to Hood and went somewhere else and they were capable to roam in the word as seen with Hedge in RG. So those BB who fought in Dragnipur probaly returned from they came to support the Gods against the CG
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:19 AM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on Feb 26 2009, 01:09 PM, said:

View PostBenji, on Feb 25 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

Erm,no. The dead BB when they Ascended didn't go to Hood and went somewhere else and they were capable to roam in the word as seen with Hedge in RG. So those BB who fought in Dragnipur probaly returned from they came to support the Gods against the CG

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Knowing what we now know from TtH, a lot of Hedge's talk with Paran meshes well with the idea that, despite not seeing Hood themselves, the dead BBs were still being guided by Hood. Hedge talks about them (and the rest of Raraku's dead soldiers I think (implied)) taking a great big march to... somewhere that isn't directly said (they're cut-off in mid-convo a lot in those scenes), however Hedge emphasizes it's not to fight a WHO, it's to fight a WHAT (chaos). Whether Hood was in power over them or Raraku was giving them up to Hood, it still makes sense that within Dargnipur was the end of their march towards battle. If so, then there is no indication there is any more to the role of the dead BBs and their supposed ascendancy than the preparation for that fight.

Some others:

What are the implications of putting an Azath at the place with many gates?

The Azath can stop the dying of that Refugium and contain the damage of the gates. The T'lan Imass Bonecaster who placed her soul into the gates had died and the gates were once more wounding the realm, and now that is stopped. Additionally, the Azath will be a regular Azath and also will contain all those gates, meaning those with access to Azaths can make use of them (though ST promised he wouldn't to Menandore)

Who is Trull and the Eres'al's kid? Will he/ she truly take a the throne of a healed Emurlahn?

Though it's not proven, I believe (and had a big explanation about it in some other thread) that it is the first of the Nerek. The Nerek compare the purity of their lineage by how close it is to direct descendancy from a single common ancestor, the Eres'al, which strangely varies in role between daughter and mother. I surmise that this is a historical confusion and the mother is the Eres'al and the daughter role is Trull's kid. This is the explanation for why ritualistic blessings from the TE have great effect on the Nerek.

What is the deal with the multiple gods of war? How will the situation be resolved? What is Toc's role in all this? What about Fener?

The situation does not to be resolved. There was never any real problem with having multiple gods of war. Even when Fener was around in the early books there was mention of Togg and Trake as being somewhat as patrons of war as well, though not fully-fledged gods of the House or anything like that, just role-model Ascendants. Still, there's nothing wrong with Togg and Trake both being gods of war, it just seems that way because of the way Fener descended when Trake became the new god. 0 seems to be a bad number of gods of war, but 2 is okay.

In any case, T&F have been asserted as the dominant gods of war, having the throne card for HHW. Trake will still be a different god of war.

Toc became Herald of Death and following the events in Dragnipur will now serve the Wolves of Winter in whatever capacity they like. Fener is much weakened and currently residing in Lether, fearing hunters who would steal power from him and kill him. Their plots will continue but there aren't any 'revelations' awaiting us there, really..

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#12 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:28 PM

Drek-If so, then there is no indication there is any more to the role of the dead BBs and their supposed ascendancy than the preparation for that fight.

Really? Supposed? I mean if they have not ascended then SE has basically been lying to us through about 4 or 5 major character viewpoints and Every single reading of the deck. Every.

They might not be walking around ascendants but they will have a use for Paran and whosoever happens to be aligned with their unaligned status. Personally I see them garrisoned at the old Bridge of Death. Now that would be a chapter I would pay to read. First they would have to clean up all the current residents. Think of the destruction a whole host of Ghost/Ascendant Sappers can do with munitions.

L'oric <----- Is listening to Metallica's "Four Horsemen" and thinks it is very appropriate.
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#13 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Wait a minute, Whiskey Jack was there when all the other Dead guys had gone after the fight. Its just him and the Chained, meaning Whiskyjack presumably will be spat out together with Hood and Draconus and the remaining Chained (OMG the sheer power of 'em, poor CG) , and Yes they will be spat out. Envy felt Draconusses presence on the world after the breaking of the Sword( yes with capital letter)

Besides WJ is ascended, since all BB's are and he was the leader of the first group of 'em

This post has been edited by Imperial High Mage Tayschrenn: 28 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#14 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

View PostD'rek, on Feb 28 2009, 07:49 AM, said:

What are the implications of putting an Azath at the place with many gates?

The Azath can stop the dying of that Refugium and contain the damage of the gates. The T'lan Imass Bonecaster who placed her soul into the gates had died and the gates were once more wounding the realm, and now that is stopped. Additionally, the Azath will be a regular Azath and also will contain all those gates, meaning those with access to Azaths can make use of them (though ST promised he wouldn't to Menandore)

True enough... I guess that answers the question as it is phrased. But that begs another question - WHY is ST so interested in getting access to SD? Yes, yes... it is the heart of the system etc. but what does access to SD get ST?

Though it's not proven, I believe (and had a big explanation about it in some other thread) that it is the first of the Nerek. The Nerek compare the purity of their lineage by how close it is to direct descendancy from a single common ancestor, the Eres'al, which strangely varies in role between daughter and mother. I surmise that this is a historical confusion and the mother is the Eres'al and the daughter role is Trull's kid. This is the explanation for why ritualistic blessings from the TE have great effect on the Nerek.

That sir, is an inspired crazy theory! Is the crazy theory thread still around?

That said, I do think it is unlikely, because the Nerek are largely wiped out (the few that remained were rehabilitated by Tehol on his islands, while the fate of those left behind in the Edur villages is uncertain) and it is unlikely that one of them will take the throne of shadow.

Also, I would assume that the Eres'al meant her and Trull's kid him/ herself to take the throne of Emurlahn. Not one of their descendants.

The situation does not to be resolved. There was never any real problem with having multiple gods of war. Even when Fener was around in the early books there was mention of Togg and Trake as being somewhat as patrons of war as well, though not fully-fledged gods of the House or anything like that, just role-model Ascendants. Still, there's nothing wrong with Togg and Trake both being gods of war, it just seems that way because of the way Fener descended when Trake became the new god. 0 seems to be a bad number of gods of war, but 2 is okay.

In any case, T&F have been asserted as the dominant gods of war, having the throne card for HHW. Trake will still be a different god of war.

Toc became Herald of Death and following the events in Dragnipur will now serve the Wolves of Winter in whatever capacity they like. Fener is much weakened and currently residing in Lether, fearing hunters who would steal power from him and kill him. Their plots will continue but there aren't any 'revelations' awaiting us there, really..

Again, fair point.

Loads of imaginary rep to D'rek

#15 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

On the origin of the Trull is Kettles father idea:

http://encyclopediamalazica.pbwiki.com/Why...ll+and+the+Eres

Note, he isn't mooted as the father of the child corspe she inhabits but as the father of the child which is one of the souls that occupy the body.

The thing that goes against it is that when bottle says in BH that the child the Eres carries is the only candidate for the throne of shadow, unfortuantely Silchas stuck a knife in Kettle at the end of RG.
I AM A TWAT

#16 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

You could argue that perhaps Silchas doesn't WANT a healed Shadow Realm, perhaps, as far as he's concerned, the destroyed warren is what they deserve... He might even have designs for a piece of KE for all we know.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#17 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

Pfft. As if Bottle would really know, he doesn't even *like* warrens...

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#18 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

View PostCougar, on Mar 2 2009, 11:00 AM, said:

The thing that goes against it is that when bottle says in BH that the child the Eres carries is the only candidate for the throne of shadow, unfortuantely Silchas stuck a knife in Kettle at the end of RG.

I don't see why the two have to be mutually exclusive. Maybe Kettle was the only real candidate, but Silchas felt honouring his pact with the dying Azath was more important than a healed KE.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#19 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

View PostLister of Smeg, on Mar 5 2009, 02:33 PM, said:

View PostCougar, on Mar 2 2009, 11:00 AM, said:

I don't see why the two have to be mutually exclusive. Maybe Kettle was the only real candidate, but Silchas felt honouring his pact with the dying Azath was more important than a healed KE.

Are we certain the child the Eres carries in TBH are kettle?

Or Silchas didn't know Kettle was meant to heal KE. Or maybe he didn't want KE healed.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

No we're not certain the child is Kettle. All we know is that Kettle said the Nameless Ones said she was a true child of the Eres. Not only is there the possiblity of her being wrong a-la game of broken telephone, but we don't even know if that's a reference to her original human-child body or to one of the many souls within her. Kettle also remembers being tall and walking on sands, but this could just as easily be the FA soul of hers or a crazy vision or something else.

There's also been raised the possibility that Kettle is the last of the Tasse, a tribe of Eres living (and slowly going extinct) on 7Cs during the reign of the Human First Empire, as remembered in a Gral legend (and recalled by Taralack Veed in RG). The last child of the Tasse was rescued and taken away by some mysterious dude commanding what appeared to be the HoS. Since the Tasse were pretty much Eres, they would be direct descendants of the Eres'al and as such Kettle could still claim to be a "true child of the Eres'al". So that's another valid theory.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users