• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Everrday I talk to you guys not physically, but you get the point

#41 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:40 PM

So... like like the chimney sweep from Mary Poppins?

Hoss-pit (writ)-ul (bull)
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#42 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

If people can tell you come from the US then you have an American accent, obviously. So the statement that you have no accent at all is....inherently ridiculous. Everyone has an accent.

The only person who could be considered not to have an accent would be someone who was the sole speaker of a particular language because there would be no other voices to compare them against; and, again obviously, they would be deemed to have no accent only when speaking that language.

Denying you have an accent is like denying you have an idiolect; to quote Enrico Fermi, "It's not even wrong!"

My own accent is a mixture of Manc [South], Jamaican (not all that much of that one tbh but there are bits here and there; my mother was fairly strict about eliminating traces of the West Indies from her childrens' speaking patterns in the belief that it would hold us back in later life) and RP (public speaking lessons at my high school; the sole purpose of which seems to have been to eliminate any Northernisms from our diction...failed miserably of course)
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#43 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:43 PM

View Poststone monkey, on Feb 19 2009, 11:27 PM, said:

RP (public speaking lessons at my high school; the sole purpose of which seems to have been to eliminate any Northernisms from our diction...failed miserably of course)

Still, we should applaud the effort and insist upon the implementation of even more rigorous courses in northern schools, in order to ensure higher success rates in future.:question:

#44 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

I dont really sound like any of these, I'm in the midwest so its kind of a mix between st. louis and the south, with less twang.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#45 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

Southern Illinois sounds like Southern Indiana, which is basically Kentucky and Tennessean sounding. And, evidently I've learned today that "Hoosier" is a bad-name in St. Louis land.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#46 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:53 AM

Yeah pretty much KY & TN with less twang.

Hoosier in St.Louis=White trash of the worst kind. :question: LoL

#47 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

So, they think an entire state is pure white trash? :question:

#48 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:57 AM

No, it actually means about the same thing as redneck, bumpkin, etc. For some reason i just think its gotten worse over the years.

Found a sight for you.

http://www.indiana.e...ra/hoosier.html

#49 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Oh, there are all kinds of theories for the meaning of the name. Most popular is that Butternuts who moved into southern Indiana in their hillbilly accents said "who's there?" and it sounded like "Hoosier?"

Rednecks. Indiana is full of them, and I sound like one when drunk.

#50 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on Feb 19 2009, 11:43 PM, said:

Still, we should applaud the effort and insist upon the implementation of even more rigorous courses in northern schools, in order to ensure higher success rates in future.:question:

If we all sounded like effete Southerners, there'd be no reason for you lot to go around thinking you're all special, would there?
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#51 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:15 AM

Release your inner redneck Hoosier.

#52 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

I get along with them real well. When I was down in the absolute sticks in Tennessee with some family, I was constantly told that I "wasn't half-bad for a Yank." Lol. You just have to be able to speak the language. Drop the g's in present progressive, pick up the ain't and your half way there.

#53 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

Yeah, thats about it. Dont forget the dip stains.

#54 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:10 AM

Hoosier, you didn't know that Hoosier meant redneck in Missouri? Actually, not all of Missouri. I had never heard it used that way until I went to Mizzou and was around people from St Louis all the time. I don't think it even has any connection to thinking that people from indiana are rednecks. Not sure where it came from.
Error: Signature not valid

#55 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:12 AM

I had no clue it was used outside of referring to either Indiana natives or Indiana University.

#56 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:13 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Feb 19 2009, 06:12 PM, said:

I had no clue it was used outside of referring to either Indiana natives or Indiana University.

Yep. As in, "Look at that Hoosier over there with the mullet and the El Camino."
Error: Signature not valid

#57 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

Sounds like what I'd hear around any resident trailer-parks around here.

Also, how did you know that was me?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users