• You cannot reply to this topic

icarium. SE's shaved knuckle? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

View PostAptorian, on Feb 11 2009, 03:02 PM, said:

I believe the reference is a bit more subtle than something like usurping the warrens.

K'rulls warrens are grounded in earth, through Burn, and the power runs through his veins.

Icariums machines were burried in the earth and he used his blood to power them up.

Of course there must be more to it, the question is what. I believe there was some reference to the machines taking thought or affecting minds, thus suggesting that he was trying to fix his head and may have gotten a whole lot more in the bargain. That is, if he didn't completely FUBAR himself with the ancient, seemingly broken machinery.

View PostD'rek, on Feb 11 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

As I said in the now-very-similar TtH thread, Iccy slashing his wrists connects to K'rul making the warrens (via a series of visions by Lady Envy in MoI). That, plus the machines draining peoples minds like Apt said, plus the whole part where Iccy can't remember stuff means it's probably intended to make some sort of warren of time or memories using the consumed people as a basis.

Of course, the machine is broken...

The assumptions here are that Iccy's machines were meant to "steal"/"drain" peoples minds. I disagree. I think the assumption was to find his own memories and that the machine being broken it in fact returned far more than it was originally intended to return. Meaning, I think Icarium is still going to regain his own memories, but know that he blew others in so doing.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#22 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:01 AM

so as i've already asked then is time the force that erikson will use to defeat chaos? is chaos subject to time or entropy?
sitting down here in the campfire light, waiting on the ghost of tom joad.

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

Well, strictly speaking chaos is entropy. And, if our own universe is anything to go by, time kills entropy. That's why order is actually a bad thing. Without entropy we'd stagnate, the universe will just "disolve" as everything travels further and further away from itself and everything eventually loses momentum and heat.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users