• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pie(s) Debate about the best dessert ever

#1 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:52 AM

Ok, so the idea came up to have a discussion on the best type of pie. This a very opinion based topic so... feel free to disagree or even name more than one of the awesomeness that is pie.

By pie, I mean fruit-filled goodness. But if you like the meat-pies better tell us why.

My favorite pie(s) is the Apple pie, or Strawberry pie. Where I live fruits are grown like it is our job, so fresh pie is often had. Apple pie is the best autumn dessert because it is the season of apples, and fresh, warm, apple pie with ice cream (vanilla) is great.

Strawberry pie is the best for the Spring/Summer though because it is strawberry season. And warm, juicy strawberry pie with ice cream is great.

Even better I don't have to make the pies, just tuck in and chow down :)

#2 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

This sounds like it shoudl probabaly be an inn topic, but here goes.

I'd have to say I prefer meat pies, Dont really have a lot of fruit pies. Pork pies are awesome though good snack if I need a bit of food fast. In fact most meat pies are good because they are filling and have meat :)
I do enjoy a good apple pie when im at home , but dont have them much at uni.
"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#3 User is offline   LORD BROOD 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:00 AM

I LIKE PIE!

I prefer fruit pies like cherry and pecan. Pecan isnt a fruit though lolz. I'm funny. haha.

anyway cake is good too.

#4 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

Yea I was thinking the Inn, but it is kinda opinions so discussion. It is difficult.

Do you think liking fruit pies is an American thing? Most people I have talked to that don't live in the US prefer meat pies or no pies which is worse.

#5 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

I dont know, its probably because I dont really have dessert much at uni so I dont bother with fruit pies, and when Im at home its usually things like crumble or sponge pudding rather than pies.

#6 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

Oh god I hope Lord Brood isnt Bwood come back from the dead... :)

#7 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:06 AM

Heh, I doubt it. It hasn't been long enough, besides he would probably get his account back.

And I don't eat pie at Uni either. They don't cook it all the way. So when I am home or wherever that when I know whats up.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Pie is nothing compared to the all encompassing wonderfulness of hot fudge sundaes. Now you are talking dessert.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:40 AM

I personally prefer cherry pie, but it has to be warm! I love cherry everything to be honest, nonetheless cherry pie is my favourite by a mile. A second and it's not even a close second would have to be pumpkin pie. I would also like to add that the filling is irrelevant if the crust isn't up to par! Nothing can kill a pie like shitty crust!
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#10 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

I see where you are coming from with the crust, but for the most part I don't eat it unless it is flawless. After eating fruit combined with crust, I find eating the last bit of crust only ruins the experience.

#11 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:43 AM

I differ a little from you on that one, I really like that last little bit of the crust, it's one of my favourite parts. I just want to add that I hate micemeat pies and tarts! Mincemeat has to be one of the worst things ever invented! :)
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#12 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:19 AM

Rhubarb pie is the way to go. It has to be really sour/bitter tasting. At a push i'll have Apple Pie, but generally they try and make that too sweet.

It's only since i moved to New Zealand, that I realised how popular meat pies are. The good ones are quite delicious. They used to have some really good ones cooked in the Med Cafe here at the uni, and the nice old lady used to have one ready just for me for when i finished work (It pays to be nice to people). I went for the Steak and Cheese Pie myself. You know it's not really good for you, but it tastes so damn nice.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#13 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

My mother's pumpkin and rhubarb pies are unbelievable. The rhubarb comes straight from the garden and I agree that it's the tart/sweet combo that makes it awesome.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#14 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:31 AM

Rhubarb pie is good. I used to love that stuff, until I was told that the leaves are mad poison-like. Needless to say, I don't trust people who cook with that stuff, unless it is my mom. I avoid it like the plague these days lol.

But meat pies are really popular, I rarely see them in the States unless I get my mom to make one for some rare occasion. I like Russian Meat Pie, that is a great dinner. I hear Shepard's pie is good too.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 30 January 2009 - 04:32 AM

#15 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Shepherds pie is awesome even though its not particularly "pie" like in the usual sense. I think Steak and Ale pies deserve an honourable mention though.

#16 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

Meat pies are the best, and much better than fruit pies, in my opinion. There's something about pastry and meat that is just magical. It's also washes down well with beer, especially beef steak pies with tomato sauce...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#17 User is offline   Karnadas 

• Seneschal Butyrum

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

I love Banoffi (sp?) pie... :)

All pies are good (especially including meat ones), as long as there's variety - beyond the initial glut, one flavour gets boring very fast...

#18 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

Meat - Steak and Kidney
Fruit - Apple, with custard, not ice cream.

#19 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

I wonder why the meat pie isn't more prevelent in the States. You'd think that fatbutt americans would be all about meat pies.

Being an american, my experience with meat pies is limited. So, my image is pie=desert.

Either way, with a good crust both sound damn good. Japan doesn't do much with either type of pie. I can't say I've ever seen a meatpie here, and the one pie you'll find (apple) is totally different from any apple pie I've ever had. <cries>
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#20 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

Yea exactly. It seems like the people who like fruit pies tend to be from the States, while people who like meat pie are from overseas. While meat pie is consumed in the states it isn't what I would call common.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users