Malazan Empire: Dust of Dreams - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dust of Dreams speculation on plot Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Toc 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Wherever darkness lay and light play, shadows are born.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:59 AM

So, Dust of Dreams then.

Dive into your mind and you all know that the next story from The Malazan book of the Fallen will be a tragedy.

My guess is that the book will be mainly about the Bonehunters, and their next war. And I'm also guessing that alot of them will die, because the war will grow bigger and bigger. (which will ofcourse be a part of Tavores plan, *sigh*).

I'm simply guessing that I won't really enjoy Dust of Dreams, because I really enjoyed Toll the Hounds, and SE has a way of making me love his work for a few moments, until something bad happens and I hate him. (because he manage to suck me in to the story so much that I which I was there to save characters like Kulp...)

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:06 AM

View PostToc, on Jan 28 2009, 10:59 PM, said:

Dive into your mind and you all know that the next story from The Malazan book of the Fallen will be a tragedy.

Aren't they all? They've all got tragic elements in the final pages, though it can vary from a wee bit (GotM) to a lot (MoI).

Will more Bonehunters die? probably. A lot? Personally I don't think so. On the one hand that bit's already been done in DG, MoI, BH and, to some extent, RG. Another book with the main malazan army getting severely reduced in numbers would be... stagnant. And on the other hand, furthering that, the 14th will be meeting up with the Perish, Khundryl, and perhaps even the Barghast and some Letheri forces. Let them die instead!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

I'm betting another god will die. I'm rooting for the Errant. I mean, since Hood and Rake are dead, I'd say that's got the dominoes toppling.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

I think DoD will concentrate on all manners of armies. It is, in the end, the set-up for what will happen in TCG. Plus, we know Paran and his Host will be in DoD... well, we have a very, very, very solid foundation for believing so.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

Seeing as how Dust of Dreams is the setup for the final big convergence, I think it will cover everybody. Literally.

#6 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jan 29 2009, 08:31 AM, said:

we know Paran and his Host will be in DoD... well, we have a very, very, very solid foundation for believing so.

What kind of foundation are we talking about here? Maybe I've missed some info but all I remember of info regarding DoD is that the book takes place on Lether and will deal with the fallout of the events from RG.
Sure, Paran and his host might turn up but we have nothing to indicate that they are enroute to Lether. All we know of Paran and his army is that they left Seven Cities, never to return.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#7 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

Only the first Book of the book takes part on Lether, apparently.

The book is essentially the stage directions for setting up TtH, don't be too suprised if very little actually happens.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#8 User is offline   Quick~ 

• Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

I actually see this as being one of the least tragic installments in the series. It's going to be a set up towards the CG so I'm thinking we'll get a lot of interesting threads being developed, but the real sad/awesome/brilliant/fucking dragon stuff will be saved for the CG itself.

#9 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

View PostLisheo, on Jan 29 2009, 06:01 AM, said:

Only the first Book of the book takes part on Lether, apparently.

The book is essentially the stage directions for setting up TtH, don't be too suprised if very little actually happens.

This is something that should never happen in a book...nothing. Robert Jordan suffered from this for 3 straight books Dumais Wells to Cleaning of the Source. Nothing big has to happen but all books should have some sort of plotline and I am sure SE is up to the challenge of setting up a final book without 900 pages of drivel.

Sincerely,
L'oric
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#10 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

View PostUrizen, on Jan 29 2009, 05:54 AM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jan 29 2009, 08:31 AM, said:

we know Paran and his Host will be in DoD... well, we have a very, very, very solid foundation for believing so.

What kind of foundation are we talking about here? Maybe I've missed some info but all I remember of info regarding DoD is that the book takes place on Lether and will deal with the fallout of the events from RG.
Sure, Paran and his host might turn up but we have nothing to indicate that they are enroute to Lether. All we know of Paran and his army is that they left Seven Cities, never to return.

See: Picker in conversation with Paran, TTH.

I don't think those activities were occurring at the same time as the activities in the final book. I'm fairly confident that we are going to see Paran and his host making their way to wherever they are in TCG.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:40 AM

Maybe he'll leave them behind? He said he didn't want the army and as MotD I think he'd do better solo. With all the god-ascendant business I mean, not fighting.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#12 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 29 2009, 08:26 AM, said:

I'm betting another god will die. I'm rooting for the Errant. I mean, since Hood and Rake are dead, I'd say that's got the dominoes toppling.

Hood isn't dead? He came out of the sword and lives a rich life !

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#13 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

That's assuming that people other than Draconus came out of the sword. But he did renounce his status as lord of the dead. Maybe now he's more fair game, like Fener?

#14 User is offline   Locke Reaper 

• Captain

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

So with hood out of the picture who is going to oppose the chained one and his crownies?

as for rake i thought that he returned to mother dark and lives with her as a "pure" god of darkness.

As for Paran he has a date with the errant and i hope to all the gods that he beats the crap out of that pathetic piece of useless...

then a last question, does this mean that the sword is finally broken or has it just become a new realm?

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hood is not dead or gone. Hood was the main god opposing the CG in MoI and he most likely keep working to undo the CG threat.

Rake is deeeeeeaaaad...

The Errant used to kill FAs as sport. He was the master of the tiles for who knows how long. By any account the Errant is so high above Parans level of skill, he properly doesn't even need to bother if he wanted to usurp Paran. Even the Errant Haters cannot denie how dangerous the Errant is.

And finally, the Sword is broken, but you may have a point. Perhaps the pocket warren survives.

#16 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

me thinks that paran got a better backup than the errant... hood now EX lord of death proably lord of ice (thus claming his old title) or somthing and he likes paran... poor errant... other friends of paran: ST CoT Brigeburners bone hunters the jagut that Karsa freed and proably alor more
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#17 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:59 AM

Perhaps the Errant will see this, and not reveal himself, but work from the shadows.
Suck it Errant!

#18 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:20 AM

i highly doubt that the errants potency remains the same as when he was killing forkul assail in their droves... he barely has any influence outside of letheras. though come to think of it he has awakened the cedance and the holds. ganoes might be in for a fight... hopefully the element of surprise will work in his favour as with poliel
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#19 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Going back to Hood, somebody above said that maybe he's gone to reclaim his old title of Lord of Ice Hold. This could make sense. After all, it's been hinted that Letheras is where the big convergence will take place and we all know that the holds are more influential than the warrens over there.

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

The Icehold isn't situated on Letheras. It nowhere and everywhere on Wu. Currently the warrens place lies within the heart of Burns. And most likely Panion now sits that throne.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users