Malazan Empire: Epic Kitchen Screw Up. - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epic Kitchen Screw Up. I really cannot cook anything.

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

I'm lazy but hungry so I'm trying to make tortilini in my microwave. It's not going well.

For some reason the microwave has begun resetting itself to "cook/grill" instead of "microwave".

I put a caserolle in the wave filled with water and tortilline, fully expecting it to take care of itself, but oh no... 3 minutes later a weird burnt chemical smell is starting to spread in my apartment. I look in through the little dirty window and the caserolle is SMOKING! I open it and the whole thing looks like it was doused in carosine and someone threw a match at it.

Well, I reset the wave and put it back in ignoring the weird smell. I am currently airing out the room and staring at this developing disaster of culinary proportions.

I haven't changed the water or anything. I wonder if it's going to be eatable...

EDIT: My god, I think the handles may be slightly melted... I'm giving them another 7 minutes.

#2 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:35 AM

Ever heard of take-out Apt? ;)

Is it possible to make the tortilline without a microwave?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

Yeah I have a stove.

I have now consumed my tortillini. It was surprisingly good. The pot looks like shit though...

#4 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

apt... get a wife (or similar)... (or just a cookbook)
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#5 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

I think the major mistake you made was that you're not supposed to place any item in the microwave except for those made for it. In other words: the plastic on your pot probably wasn't microwave resisted and melted because of it. (this may sound weird, since it acts perfectly fine on a stove, but a stove heats in a different way than a microwave does. It's all in the details :) )

Anyhew, glad your food still tasted nicely. Do air out your appartment, most burned plastic fumes are quite toxic if not cancerous.

And next time, just use the stove to boil pasta's. In my opinion it goes just as fast, requires the same amount of attention to it (which is none... or in your case a lot :respect: ) and i'm not sure about cost but my guess would be it's about the same. (except that now, with the microwave, you'll probably have to buy a new pot :) )
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

View PostMcflury, on Jan 27 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

I think the major mistake you made was that you're not supposed to place any item in the microwave except for those made for it. In other words: the plastic on your pot probably wasn't microwave resisted and melted because of it. (this may sound weird, since it acts perfectly fine on a stove, but a stove heats in a different way than a microwave does. It's all in the details :) )

Anyhew, glad your food still tasted nicely. Do air out your appartment, most burned plastic fumes are quite toxic if not cancerous.

And next time, just use the stove to boil pasta's. In my opinion it goes just as fast, requires the same amount of attention to it (which is none... or in your case a lot :respect: ) and i'm not sure about cost but my guess would be it's about the same. (except that now, with the microwave, you'll probably have to buy a new pot :) )

Stoves are for women, microwaves are for men. They get the job done in half the time and they take less clean-up.

In my experience you can put ANYTHING in microwaves. The problem was that I set the wave to cooking, like in an oven, which the pot didn't like at all.

Still. I'm impressed that I failed a simple job of boiling tortillini.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

You neglected to make a sacrifice to the microwave sprites.

Thus, they made spriteshite in your food. Hence, the curiously good taste yet you've have tapioca colored diarrhea for the last 24 hrs and just aren't admitting it.

- Abyss, ...yes, "spriteshite"...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

So Abyss has shed a tight beam of bright white light, from a great height, on why the spriteshites might fight against Apt's bite-sized meal that's obvious with foresight?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

I love how your dinner was held in a flaming melting vessel and you put it back in the microwave anyways for more time. Your only worry seeming to be that your food may taste funny! Who cares if the house burns down! :respect: Maybe it is best you aren't using a stove!
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#10 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

Yo Apt- Cereal and Hotpockets is where it is at. We men can cook that type of food.

I consider myself a Cereal Killer.

#11 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Just for the record... You don't COOK things in the Microwave, you just make them hot.

You COOK things on a stove, or in an oven, or on a barbecue, or on an open flame (though technically only on stove, you roast or bake in an oven, roast or char on a bbq and roast over an open flame...)
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#12 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

I fail at simple things. More difficult things like cakes or pies or goats cheese pepperonata, no sweat. But in just the last 24 hours, I've managed to completely fuck up an omelette and try to make cheese on toast but forget to turn the bread into toast. So I sympathise heartily with you, you danish bastard. Although as a dane, you should be making nothing but bacon sandwiches, in which the bread has been replaced by more bacon.

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

Bacon baconwiches.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#14 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

That idea deserves rep.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#15 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:54 PM

....if we had it!

Anyone ever had a tomato sauce sandwich? Now that is epic.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#16 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

Got a friend who has cheese(like slabs of the stuff) tomato ketchup and squirty cream sandwhiches.
He's wierd.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#17 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:00 AM

Had a friend who got a meat pie, got rid of the pastry on top, submerged the meat with tomato sauce and filled it with jelly frogs. Then he cut it into portions, sprinkled chocolate powder over it and...

yeah.
Suck it Errant!

#18 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

my BROTHER wanted a cake for his b-day... not supring... but he wanted a Cholatgellyapllemarsipan cake... and he got it... (my mom got tierd of his constant begging and agreed on making the abonmeation...)
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#19 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

I agree on the epicness of tomato sauce toast... Food of Gods really.
I used to invent such weird meals when I was younger and never really felt like making real dishes.

One of my other brilliant creations was a sort of "lowlife raclette", it basically means you fill a plate with cheese and put it in the microwave. It'll be all melted and liquidish and then just eat it with whatever you can find. Ah, yes... me hungry now :respect:
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#20 User is offline   Karnadas 

• Seneschal Butyrum

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

If you ever decide to have a mayonnaise toasted sandwich, don't look at it once it's melted...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users