• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

confused Traveller/ Edur

#1 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

I was horribly confused with the part of the book when Traveller and Ereko meet up with the Edur. I understand that the Edur were the Raiding party that Traveller and ZEreko wanted to protect the villagers from. I had to read the section several times and I still dont really know what happened. I assumed Traveller killed the war party on shore. Then the Edur woman on the boat comes into play...
Why didnt she want her war party to fight Ereko? Traveller did make quick work of the war party, right? What was going on in the other boat that had her distracted? Why did she wig out? Did she want to become a desciple of Traveller and he sent her away?

Sorry, lots of question.

Were they on Stratem at the time? Stratem is south of Fist(Korel) and North of Lether, right?

This post has been edited by foolio: 21 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#2 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

I'd have to read the section again to be sure, but my take on it was that she recognised Ereko as one of the Ancient races, and knew he was not a threat unless provoked.

As for Traveller, her reaction was probably due to the fact that the Edur clearly believed themselves to be superior to other species, and Traveller was basically slaughtering them, which kind of spoils their world view. Also, I can't remember if she was sensitive to magic or not, but she may have realised that Traveller is an Ascendant as well.

And along those lines, she may have seen the side of Traveller that is Dessembrae.

No idea on the Stratem bit.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

I loved that part.

Two warships, probably hundreds of Edur and Traveller KILLS THEM ALL! Ereko has barely opened his mouth before the first ship is in flames and Traveller is making sushi out of everyone. Crazy bastard :)

Besides Ereko being ancient and sacred, I also think she was worried over what Ereko could do. Despite Ereko not doing much in the book, I suspect that he was am immensly powerfull being that could have FUBAR'ed the Edur even worse than Dassem.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

just an aside but lether is far to the east (west?) of stratem and korel, on the other side of the world basically
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

I had a look at the world map, and Lether is to the east of Korel/Stratem.

What happened to that girl, Sorrow?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#6 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 22 2009, 05:38 AM, said:

She intended to go home and spread the "truth" to her people but Traveller stops that beacause he knows she'd get killed out of hand and tells her to go north instead.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#7 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

View PostUrizen, on Jan 22 2009, 10:25 AM, said:

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 22 2009, 05:38 AM, said:

She intended to go home and spread the "truth" to her people but Traveller stops that beacause he knows she'd get killed out of hand and tells her to go north instead.

Prediction: She is going to be in Stonewielder.

#8 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

What's up north?
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 21 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

I had a look at the world map, and Lether is to the east of Korel/Stratem.

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 24 2009, 01:55 AM, said:

What's up north?

Seeming as how Korel is south of Malaz Island and Quon Tali, and Stratem is south of Korel... the "north" is Korel and then Quon Tali.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

I don't get how Sorrow wanted to worship Trav or something...she wouldn't even know who he was, right?
Suck it Errant!

#11 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:46 AM

well she was some kind of sorcery yeah? she sensed his ascendancy and everything that has built up around him. traveller is basically a walking spiritual visitation
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#12 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

View Postfoolio, on Jan 21 2009, 07:43 PM, said:

I was horribly confused with the part of the book when Traveller and Ereko meet up with the Edur. I understand that the Edur were the Raiding party that Traveller and ZEreko wanted to protect the villagers from. I had to read the section several times and I still dont really know what happened. I assumed Traveller killed the war party on shore. Then the Edur woman on the boat comes into play...
Why didnt she want her war party to fight Ereko? Traveller did make quick work of the war party, right? What was going on in the other boat that had her distracted? Why did she wig out? Did she want to become a desciple of Traveller and he sent her away?

Sorry, lots of question.

Were they on Stratem at the time? Stratem is south of Fist(Korel) and North of Lether, right?

I too, have troubles understanding this passage. What are the "lies" she now sees revealed, after Traveller's performance? What is this "message" Traveller brings to the world?

Admittedly, I've only reached this scene, so maybe some of this stuff is revealed later in the book, but told from Ereko's perspective, who clearly doesn't know any more about Traveller than the reader does, the whole passage seems, at the very least, strange.

I don't really buy the "Edur were supposed to be a superior race" stuff, I'm sorry. That's not enough a reason for the girl to go all crazy about Trav. Besides, all those mentionings of "that which goes with him" are also rather weird.

#13 User is offline   Ganymed 

• Captain
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

Hm, just had a thought: I wonder how one Edur girl is going to manage sailing north in an Edur warship, that is supposedly to be crewed by dozens of people, after Traveller pwned every single Edur except her? Or am I missing something? My memory is admittedly a bit hazy about that part.

Another thought: Maybe she has become some sort of Destriant to Dessembrae?
FIDELITY, n. A virtue peculiar to those who are about to be betrayed.

#14 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

View PostGanymed, on Feb 1 2009, 09:44 PM, said:

Hm, just had a thought: I wonder how one Edur girl is going to manage sailing north in an Edur warship, that is supposedly to be crewed by dozens of people, after Traveller pwned every single Edur except her? Or am I missing something? My memory is admittedly a bit hazy about that part.

Another thought: Maybe she has become some sort of Destriant to Dessembrae?

I think it's implied that shel travel north over land and not by ship.
Dessembrae is a relucant god and he, like Rake, is called a denier at some point of the story. Which makes me doubt that he has any organized priesthood, more like random believers here and there who might wind up togehter more by accident rather some design. Also, despite Clip claiming to be the Mortal sword of Rake without Rake knowing and caring about it, I doubt you become destriant, Shield Anvil or Mortal Sword without the God's acknowledgement.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#15 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:43 AM

It may seem odd that she's going to travel alone through the wilderness, but I think she'll be fine. Look at Naval D'natha-if a god tells you to go somewhere, it's probably not as simple as that.
Suck it Errant!

#16 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

She's not alone. When the Edur landed, only half of them went to fight Traveller, the other half went to fight Ereko, who didn't kill them. Traveller killed his half, but the others were left alive.

#17 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

@ benji

The first boatload went off to fight Traveller, and got slaughtered.

The second boatload wanted to kill Ereko, but Sorrow stops them. On seeing the slaughter, they rush off to challenge Traveller as well. She doesn't stop them because she's in shock from what she's seeing, and Traveller kills them all too.

It's after that, that Traveller arrives back covered in a mist of blood, to talk to Ereko (and Sorrow).

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#18 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

Ah. My bad. My memory span tends to last about a week and it's been longer than that since I read the book :p

#19 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:29 AM

omg this is stupid! it makes my heard hurt what the hell was going on? take about being vague with almost everything you write ICE!
Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users