Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Seguleh Wizards Where are they? Similiar societies. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:45 AM

It seems strange to me that the seguleh do not appear to produce wizards. Are they like Toblakai that manifest their ability as a warren? Are we going to see them blast through city walls like Tool did in MOI?

It's a shame that a society that produces the greatest swordsmen of an age or maybe any age limits itself. Does anyone think this will ever get covered?

Also in a world where a society of swordsmen exist why not one of wizards where warren duels are fought to determine hierachy. Maybe slightly impractical when small mountain ranges could be affected but...It would be a fan boys dream society just like the Seguleh. Along those lines do you think SE and ICE regret creating the Seguleh since they are such fodder for fanboyisms?

We are running out of continents to sneak in a wizard society...assail versus the last of the Tlan Imas?

For now
L'oric
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:46 AM

You have obviously not read RotCG. Do you want spoiled or not?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

spoiled or not spoiled, lol sounds like a question your maitre de asks you
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#4 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

Well...

Spoiler

Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

I don't remember any mention of seguleh wizards in RCG, but they do seem to be able to spot a warren user easily.

If they don't have any magic adepts, which would sounds weird, I'm guessing the Tyrant did it. The seguleh were to be his martial elite (as far as we can guess) and perhaps he then removed their ability to produce magic wielders. Leaving that stuff to the Cabal.

#6 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

:harhar: Yes. Plus, we also know of magiocracies, like he was asking about.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

I do not mind spoilers, and I did post here knowing that all things RotCG can be spoiled here so no worries from me. Its great to know at least some of these questions will be answered in the near future for me.

(I come from a family that of readers that go to the last page first...and its hard to fight tradition but I usually manage it)

A mageocracy is slightly different in my mind from a mage society built up like a seguleh society. With the first I think of wizards ruling and only wizards ruling or maybe the Three. The meaning is the same for the latter but the way they go about doing and selecting the mages would be different.

L'oric
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

It's hinted in TtH, by someone at Krul's Bar, that there is an element of Denul in Seguleh society. The comment goes no further than that. We could speculate that an entire warrior society aspected to the warren involved in healing might derive benefits like being stronger, faster, etc.

We saw both in MoI and RCG that seguleh are good at spotting mages and warrens at work, even tho we have never seen a mage.

Rell's background in RCG tells us the most we've ever seen about their society - almost a kinder, gentler Sparta, so to speak.

Going back to the Tyrant of darujhistan link, i agree that he set up his Torrud cabal as his magic force and the Seguleh as his army, but perhaps he also used sorcery to make his army even better and that influence carries forward.

On a certain level, that's sort of dissappointing. It's kind of neat to think that Mok was just THAT awesome, that he could behead undead Kell Hunters (one of which can take on an entire Grey Sword company) and go tete-a-tete against the Tlan Imass First Sword because he's just that humanly perfect, but on the other hand, SOME influence from a magical source would go a long way in explaining just how that's even possible.

The T3 'warren of themselves' theory is another good one, altho we haven't seen anything that supports that theory over them being aspected to Denul or something.

- Abyss, only human.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:26 AM

So, does that mean that Studlock, Madrun Badrun and Lazan Door (and maybe even Thurule!) are the "lead scouts", so to speak, for the coming of the Tyrant? Remember, Studlock told them to get new masks. Is that so they are proper Seguleh?
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:51 AM

Madurn and Door are referred to as renegades, so probably not, altho from what we see of them and thinking back to the Soldier/Second's comments in TB, i can't help but wonder if mabe they are closer to 'true' Seguleh than their unexiled countrymen.

I'm still not convinced Studlock was Seguleh - i see why people think he was, but i remain on the fence. Torvald's inner monologue comments were fairly open.

As for Thurule, he was recruited by Envy back in MoI and of those three, the only one we see with her. It would make sense that Mok went his own way, but perhaps, following the alliance by way of Krul, the First let her keep Thurule as a servant/liason/sex toy. Wonder what happened to Senu...

- Abyss, bets Envy broke him...

#11 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

Well, Abyss, when the Trygalle and the rest were washed up in Mael's realm, Precious Thimble and Sweetest Sufferance said that the Revenants, Hood's warrior-priests, were based in One Eye Cat, commanded by an outlawed Seguleh. Probably Studious, but I'm sure that city's full of outlawed Seguleh... :)

I bet Senu returned to the Island...he's not that important.
Suck it Errant!

#12 User is offline   Cowl's Disciple 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 22 2009, 05:49 PM, said:

Well, Abyss, when the Trygalle and the rest were washed up in Mael's realm, Precious Thimble and Sweetest Sufferance said that the Revenants, Hood's warrior-priests, were based in One Eye Cat, commanded by an outlawed Seguleh. Probably Studious, but I'm sure that city's full of outlawed Seguleh... ;)

I bet Senu returned to the Island...he's not that important.

Senu could pop up at any time given Erikson & ICE's love of bringing back characters we (or at least I) have forgotten about but I tend to agree with you that we won't see him again. However, would his domination by Envy be seen as a source of possible shame in Seguleh society?

#13 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

Loss of manhood, perhaps.
Suck it Errant!

#14 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

He probably gained his manhood serving with Lady Envy ;)
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

She dominated (shut up) Mok and he was Third, so Senu and Thurule can hardly be called inadequate.

- Abyss, ...not that domination is a BAD thing between consenting sentients...

#16 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

As you know from ROTCG that Rell was a Segulah who got kicked out of the society of sword fighters, this would make him either a worker or a "healer" iirc, this suggest thats not all Segulah are warriors, they do have an elite academy but only the best/most focused/most dedicated go through
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#17 User is offline   Torrud Segul 

• Recruit

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

I kinda assumed the Torrud Cabal were the Segulah's version of wizards, just with the whole T'orrud meaning Shield and Segulah meaning Anvil, implying they're a unit..

Forum name is going to look damn silly if I'm wrong >:l

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users