Malazan Empire: A second chance for Tool! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A second chance for Tool! Why Tool deserves a second chance at Mok Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

1. He is no longer a bag of bones.
2. He is once again the First Sword/Champion of the Barghast a position that he might deem worth fighting for when in contact with another.
3. I am hoping that the sword is sister Kilava makes for him is better than the last.
4. I dug up this little quote from MOI which brings to mind Rake vs Dassem, when the Rake fanboys declare how much awesomer Rake is.

pg 228 American Paperback Edition (edited in) of Memories of Ice
"The plain is vast," Tool replied. Also, there are the effects of the Tellann warren which surrounds me- though that is much weakened at the moment. Someone has drawn on my life-force, almost to exhaustion.

Plainly to me Silverfox is drawing on Tellann to bring the T'lan Imas to her or for some other reason. He is in a weakened state when they fight and is for much of the action in MOI.

Sincerely,
L'oric

This post has been edited by L'oric: 18 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#2 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

Interesting, haven't set that quote in contact with Tool's fight against Mok. The question is if he is still in a state of weakened Tellann warren and how much it affects him. Pretty much I would bet. I wonder if all his skills and knowledge was brought onwards to his new mortal body and if it made him stronger or weaker.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#3 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

i think it was already discussed somewhere that being alive again makes the imass stronger, but for obvious reasons, easier to destroy.
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

GOTM'isms! Tool had a thousand league wide tellan warren that zapped mages like flies in a fire. He could sense anything that happened anywhere. It would make T'lan Imass ridiculously overpowered.

#5 User is offline   Xardean 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

I dunno but it seemed to me SE had Tool as being this super powerful magic deadening force in GotM, but then forgot about it in all the other books.... Becasue i don't remember ever hearing of it again.

#6 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

i do not recall him being magic-deadening. the only thing that can suppress magic is otataral.
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

#7 User is offline   Xardean 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

I need my GotM book, so i can find the passage that says that Tool was the one that created the no-magic-or-die zone, and not Lorn's Otataral sword, because Otataral just deadens magic, it doesn't make Tattersail blowup in a firery conflagaration.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

Erikson didn't forget the tellan magic killing warren thing. He just removed it because it doesn't make sense in a balanced magic system. And ottataral only affects things in close proximity. I'm guessing few meters not leagues away.

#9 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Well, in HoC the adjunts otaral sword defends the entire army from the magic of the priestess and whirlwind goddest

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#10 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Didn't Dryjina take down the wall in order to stop Tavore from piercing it with the sword?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

Indeed. I think it was merely that she didn't want the sword in contact with the warren. Hmm.., I can't remember, are the swords compact o-dust or are they just steel coated with O-dust?

#12 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:52 PM

Pretty sure they include the dust in the process of creating it, otherwise that would be one heavy-ass sword. And, from RotCG:
Spoiler

Edit: By the way, Tool has bigger things on his mind now that he is no longer T'lan and no longer First Sword of the T'lan.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 17 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#13 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

OOpps forgot to mention it was in Memories of Ice. At least that particular quote was. It can certainly be a GotMism that slipped through. There is another quote from MOI where Envy says exactly what Tool and his sword is capable of.

L'oric
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#14 User is offline   Called-by-the-Voices 

• High Fist
  • I am not yet done

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

If I recall correctly, in GotM K'rul says about Tool: "He is the First Sword of the First Empire, there is no equal to him in this world." Hmmm...
And one by one the gardens died

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

And, that was a GotMism. K'rul had just recently returned from Chaos, and had no idea what was going on.

#16 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

View PostAptorian, on Jan 18 2009, 08:48 AM, said:

Indeed. I think it was merely that she didn't want the sword in contact with the warren. Hmm.., I can't remember, are the swords compact o-dust or are they just steel coated with O-dust?

For swords, they are alloyed with it. Remember Kalam's otataral knife.

I'd actually say Tool's chances would decrease as he is mortal...wouldn't T'lan Imass be faster? Plus, if it was a straight-up duel to the death, he is mortal.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#17 User is offline   El Bogan 

• Recruit

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

I found this in MoI
Pg 502 Bantam Paperback
"- Toc had never before seen a T'lan Imass so badly damaged. It seemed impossible that Tool could stand, much less walk"

So Tool was pretty shagged before he fought Mok. Mind you, I dont reckon we'd ever see a rematch anyway...

#18 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

It wasn't a fight to the death.
T'lan dont die nearly as easily as mortals.
In a fight to death, Tool would not need to damage mok nearly as much as mok would, so over time, with minor wounds, Tool would win, since it would take mok many more hits to kill him, however, they only fight to determine who is better, not to kill each other.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users