• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sports you wish you knew more about.

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

Recently I've been watching rugby highlights on TV, and I wish I knew more about the game. I mostly get it, but my interest is increasing.

This is how I felt about Sumo a few years ago, and since I really started watching it, I enjoy it (and understand it) more and more.

What sports do you have a passing or developing interest in that you would like to learn more about or engage more time in exploring?

(This can include sports to play, not just to watch).
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:57 AM

Lacrosse. Hockey. I just have no rooting interest in hockey, so I can't get into it. Lacrosse seems pretty cool, soccer mixed with jai alai.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:18 AM

I would have to go with:
1) Curling- it is an olympic sport, yet it seems almost too easy. I'd like to try it at some point and see how wrong I am.

2) Fencing- this seems great, as a history and fantasy fan weaponry and its uses always intrigues me. I would love to get into fencing, but there isn't anywhere around where I am that does any ( I don't think so anyway). But it seems interesting.

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:21 AM

View PostStalker, on Jan 13 2009, 10:18 PM, said:

I would have to go with:
1) Curling- it is an olympic sport, yet it seems almost too easy. I'd like to try it at some point and see how wrong I am.

2) Fencing- this seems great, as a history and fantasy fan weaponry and its uses always intrigues me. I would love to get into fencing, but there isn't anywhere around where I am that does any ( I don't think so anyway). But it seems interesting.

Curling - I love hearing the captain yelling "faster! faster!" while the brushers frantically brush. Awesomely amusing. And, I'm sure it's harder than it looks. Is bowling (well) easy? Try doing it on ice, I imagine that's tougher.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:34 AM

View PostThe 20th, on Jan 14 2009, 01:54 PM, said:

Recently I've been watching rugby highlights on TV, and I wish I knew more about the game. I mostly get it, but my interest is increasing.

This is how I felt about Sumo a few years ago, and since I really started watching it, I enjoy it (and understand it) more and more.

What sports do you have a passing or developing interest in that you would like to learn more about or engage more time in exploring?

Rugby = sport of kings. I will give you a rundown on how to be a real fan.

Forwards = mindless gods
Backs = nimble fags

The mindless gods must act as one. Cohesion is essential but they are easily confused. The nimble fags must be kept out of all plays except where kicking is necessary or try scoring is imminent.

Love the forwards, worship them, notice when they do good stuff off the ball (this is where the game is won). Rucking (ball recycling/stealing in a tackle) is the skill of the game the rest of the game is there simply to support this moment. Watch tri-nations. Don't watch six-nations.

Welcome to the rest of your life.

#6 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

View PostCold Iron, on Jan 14 2009, 03:34 AM, said:

View PostThe 20th, on Jan 14 2009, 01:54 PM, said:

Forwards = mindless gods
Backs = nimble fags

Unless you're a Kiwi, in which case they're all built like brick shithouses and can do the 100 meter sprint RIGHT THROUGH YOUR FACE in 10 seconds flat.

Rugby is the sport of gods :) Of course, CI is deluded, northern-hemisphere rugby is much more interesting :)

Really the best way to learn more about rugby is simply to watch loads of it, preferably with someone who knows the sport sitting next to you to answer questions and explain more or less what's happening. But don't expect a sudden leap of comprehension, rugby's rule-book is even more hefty that cricket's, and that's saying a LOT!

This post has been edited by caladanbrood: 14 January 2009 - 06:32 AM

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#7 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:37 AM

@ HoosierDaddy
Lacrosse is silly. If you want a proper field sport along those lines, try HURLING. In lacrosse they get to catch the ball in a little net which is easy. Try balancing on a stick while another lunatic is chasing after you!

Having moved down to New Zealand Ive been more curious about giving rugby a go, but there are too many fiddly rules in Rugby Union. I did play a game under golden oldie rules (i.e. non-competitive scrums) which is fine since i've screwed my neck before so i can't go in the pack. But it was great fun being a forward running around tackling people. The back line is a different story, since i hadn't a clue how to keep my position in the defensive line. For a novice it's much easier to give Rugby League a go, although the guys are generally bigger and they get a cleaner shot at tackling you.

I used to watch Eurosport at home and they were great for showing and explaining loads of the more regional sports. I really enjoyed the sumo highlights as they explained what was going on, and you could then recognise the subtle differences in technique after a while. It looks like it would be an amazing spectacle to go and see one of the big tournaments in Japan.

Equally, I used to really enjoy the ski-jumping (and especially the ski-flying when it came around). Coming from Ireland we'd hardly know one end of a ski from the other. But again, the Eurosport guys are great for explaining the sports in a non-patronising manner, and once you see a few competitions you can again see how much technique is actually involved. It's amazing to see the good guys executing out the big jumps after a few mediocre ones. You'd nearly think they're going to land on the flat. Again, I'd love to give it a go, but i know it would scare the shit out of me!

I wouldn't mind having a go at cricket for a laugh, since it seems like the most stupid way of holding a bat. Can't get used to it having played hurling. But it looks like good fun, so i'll have to see if there are any casual games going here soon.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#8 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

I've caught the broadcasts of a few NFL games and find myself vaguely interested, although only if they've done an edit to get rid of all the incredibly long stoppages in play. There seems to be a lot of strategy involved, it's just that I don't always see the finer points. Seems like the commentators do at least a passable job of explaining what went on after the fact though, which is nice.

Aussie Rules is one I'd be interested in learning a bit more about too, since from what I know of the rules I imagine defending is pretty difficult. I mean, how do you stop someone from kicking it through the goalposts from miles out?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#9 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, Aussie Rules is another one that looks like a blast.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#10 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

I lost interest in rugby and became bitter when I stopped growing, for the reasons CI described. Hated backs, played as hooker, then stopped growing and everyone else carried on and it just wasnt sustainable anymore. I refuse to play as a back so that was it for me.

#11 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Curling is very hard to master but can be great fun to play. The yelling and sweeping are half the fun. Especially when drinking booze and playing.

I wish I knew more about cricket so I could understand what the fuck is going on when it's played.

I love hockey, baseball and American football. I hate basketball.

#12 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Ok since there have been a few mentions of wanting to know more about cricket I will repeat my performance:

Crickt: sport of gods when it's too hot for rugby.

One word: sledging. Look it up. It's like trash talk without the your mama jokes. It's like phyche outs without the your mama jokes. You think Shane Warne could spin a ball? You should have heard him sledge.

It's a battle of wits. Who can outlast the others, who wants it more, who has the mental stamina to stand in one spot for hours on end doing nothing and then at 5:30 in the afternoon after playing all day take a one handed over the head sprint-then-dive catch in the outfield landing on grass that's harder than concrete and catching a ball that's harder than your mama.

Five days is the only true cricket (and the purists *ahem* even dispute that - unlimited). One day (that's 50 overs of 6 balls each) and 20/20 (that's 20 overs each) is just to give the average punting public a spectacle to drop some cash to pay for the real test matches.

Here comes the hard part. You need to know the terms.

Shots:
Drive
Cut
Pull
Hook
Glance
Slog
Sweep (slog sweep, reverse sweep)
Block

Deliveries:
Bouncer
Leg cutter
Off cutter
In swing
Out swing
Reverse swing
Slow ball
Yorker
Chinaman
Doosra
Flipper
Googly
Leg break
Off break
Slider
Topspinner
Wrongen

Field Positions:
Wicket Keeper
Slips
Gully
Point
Cover
Mid-off
Mid-on
Mid-Wicket
Square leg
Fine leg

After you've learned all of these, all you need to do is find out if they've got a sister and tell them she should take lessons from their mother :)

This post has been edited by Cold Iron: 14 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

#13 User is offline   The Drum 

• Marine Core Sappers Club

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

The sport i'd like to know more about is Ladies Beech Volley Ball, looks like a very interesting sport. Can anyone recommend a team to follow. :)

On the subject of Rugby, i once had a big argument with a mate who was adamant that all rugby players are failed football.WTF. There's no way a pro footballer could play rugby, 1 tackle and they'd be off on the stretcher.
Any way being a true blooded Welsh Man, there is no other sport than Rugby, although i have heard some strange rumours of some sort of 'league' version of the game, sounds a bit far fetched to me though :)
Dem bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones.

#14 User is offline   Koryk of the Seti 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

well i agree with cold iron us forwards are the gods of the pitch stupid backs come poncing up after we have done all the work and steal the glory by just walkin over the line after we have put out bodies on the line even getting there! :)

wish i knew a bit more about american football as i drunkenly joined a club there not so long ago and now i have my first training on sunday which i will probably do hungover!
CRY HAVOC AND LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

American football is fun. But, I'm biased! It's my favorite sport to watch. I wouldn't recommend showing up hung-over unless you want to throw-up when you get tackled. And, that's rugby-like tackle, not soccer tackle with my legs tackle.

#16 User is offline   Koryk of the Seti 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jan 14 2009, 10:35 PM, said:

American football is fun. But, I'm biased! It's my favorite sport to watch. I wouldn't recommend showing up hung-over unless you want to throw-up when you get tackled. And, that's rugby-like tackle, not soccer tackle with my legs tackle.

done plenty of rugby training hungover nd i dont mind gettin tackled one of the reasons i play rugby is for the physicallity. but im worried about not knowing the rules and stuff whats that position where you just run and hit people?
CRY HAVOC AND LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR

#17 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jan 15 2009, 09:35 AM, said:

Ha. Girl. Uni games 2006:

One week of glorious drinking, rugby and womanising. 20-30 beers a night. Every night.

Admittedly the rugby was over after day 3 but that was a bad bad day. Every step like a dagger up the back of your skull. Every tackle made dark spots apear in your vision and you knew that unconsciousness was just a sneeze away.

#18 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

View PostKoryk of the Seti, on Jan 14 2009, 05:53 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jan 14 2009, 10:35 PM, said:

done plenty of rugby training hungover nd i dont mind gettin tackled one of the reasons i play rugby is for the physicallity. but im worried about not knowing the rules and stuff whats that position where you just run and hit people?

Everyone, other than quarterback and wide-receiver! So 20 out of 22. Larger men, 6'0+ - 240lbs+ play offensive and defensive line. They line up against each other and the offensive line trys to create holes for the running back to run through, or create a pocket for the quarterback to throw from, while the defensive line tries to slice through the offensive line to tackle the running-back or quarterback. The people who run around and hit the most are linebackers and safeties, or fullback on offense. This is the extremely dumbed down version. Here:

Most football players have highly specialized roles. At the college and NFL levels, most play only offense or only defense.

Offense
The offensive line (OL) consists of five players whose job is to protect the passer and clear the way for runners by blocking members of the defense. The lineman in the middle is the Center. Outside the Center are the Guards, and outside them are the Tackles. Except for the center, who snaps the ball to one of the backs, offensive linemen generally do not handle the ball.
The quarterback (QB) receives the snap from the center on most plays. He then hands or tosses it to a running back, throws it to a receiver or runs with it himself. The quarterback is the leader of the offense and calls the plays that are signaled to him from the sidelines.
Running backs (RB) line up behind or beside the QB and specialize in running with the ball. They also block, catch passes and, on rare occasions, pass the ball to others or even receive the snap. If a team has two running backs in the game, usually one will be a halfback (HB) or tailback (TB), who is more likely to run with the ball, and the other will usually be a fullback (FB), who is more likely to block.
Wide receivers (WR) line up near the sidelines. They specialize in catching passes, though they also block for running plays or downfield after another receiver makes a catch.
Tight ends (TE) line up outside the offensive line. They can either play like wide receivers (catch passes) or like offensive linemen (protect the QB or create spaces for runners). Sometimes an offensive lineman takes the tight end position and is referred to as a tackle eligible.[10]
At least seven players must line up on the line of scrimmage on every offensive play. The other players may line up anywhere behind the line. The exact number of running backs, wide receivers and tight ends may differ on any given play. For example, if the team needs only 1 yard, it may use three tight ends, two running backs and no wide receivers. On the other hand, if it needs 20 yards, it may replace all of its running backs and tight ends with wide receivers.

Defense
In contrast to members of the offense, the rules of professional football (NFL Rulebook) and American college football NCAA Rulebook) do not specify starting position, movement, or coverage zones for members of the defensive team, except that they must be in the defensive zone at the start of play. The positions, movements and responsibilities of all defensive players are assigned by the team by selection of certain coverages, or patterns of placement and assignment of responsibilities. The positional roles are customary. These roles have varied over the history of American football. The following are customary defensive positions used in many coverages in modern American football.

The defensive line consists of three to six players who line up immediately across from the offensive line. They try to occupy the offensive linemen in order to free up the linebackers, disrupt the backfield(behind the offensive line)of the offense, and tackle the running back if he has the ball before he can gain yardage or the quarterback before he can throw or pass the ball. They are the first line of defense.
Behind the defensive line are the linebackers. They line up between the defensive line and defensive backs and may either rush the quarterback or cover potential receivers. Their main job is to cover the run up the middle.
The last line of defense is known as the secondary, comprising at least three players who line up as defensive backs, which are either cornerbacks or safeties. They cover the receivers and try to stop pass completions. They occasionally rush the quarterback. However, this leaves the field wide open for passing.

http://en.wikipedia....erican_football

#19 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

Well there is nothing...NOTHING better than american football :) But I watched a cricket match a few yers back and wouldn't mind seeing it again, but that's unlikely since no american television station will air something like that for days on end. Jai alai (sp?) is cool too, me and my old college roomate would watch that late night after getting FUBAR and trying not to vomit.

Way to try and recruit em HD :)

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#20 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

Gol durn you fancypantser braniacs and yer peckerhead 'sports'. Ever'one know NASCAR is the only true measure of a man's athleticicsm. Like'ta see you turn left at a buck eighty. Fuctards.

:)

Or - really though - I love baseball the best, then football - then things where ladies' boobs bounce around a bit. Other than that, I don't really need to know any more...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users