• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deathstealer? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

i have seen LOTS of pages where deathstealer is CG but in TBH when the card is first seen one of the participants in the "game" says that the one with that card have anoter... its clear that CG does NOT fit into the role of King In Chains... who is then, or glitch or some thing like that?
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#2 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

Well Rhulad was originally the King in Chains, and now Skinner is as of RotCG. It has been a position up for grabs for a while, as Kallor also stakes a claim to it, yet gets stuck with Reaver. As for CG being something other than Deathstealer...I don't know. In the BH glossary, there is an Unaligned card named "Chain". Perhaps that is the other card?
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#3 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

I think what they were saying is that they THOUGHT The King in Chains would be The Crippled God. They were wrong of course, but it seems to be a perfectly reasonable assumption.

#4 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

By the way its Lifeslayer and Deathslayer. Those are the names of the cards. You people confuse it with Icariums Nickname Lifestealer because he is of course Lifeslayer too. But Deathstealer does not exist.
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

The Crippled God is both Deathstealer and possibly Chain.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

DEATHSLAYER!!! Look my post above

#7 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Quit being pedantic.

"The Crippled God is both Deathslayer and possibly Chain."

Feel better?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

i'm delighted. :( no really i didnt want to unnerv you.

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

However, based on the way "Chain" is the single-word-inanimate-object kind of card, and an unaligned, it's quite probable it's like Sceptre, Throne, Orb, etc, a pseudo-natural-force that isn't quite so personifical, though that don't mean it can't represent people in readings and games and stuff.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:27 AM

If the CG is outside the House of Chains, does his mean Paran shouldn't have blessed it?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#11 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

Paran's rationale for blessing the House of Chains was to place the CG inside the game, and subject him to the "rules" that everyone else seems to have to follow. Not being in the House itself wouldn't matter. The CG works through his pawns, and if they are inside the House, then he must make sure they (and by extension he) follow the "rules". Although what these rules are I have no idea...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#12 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

I'm unsure from the original post what you are asking in the first part, nor can I look up the quote right now but, I'd point out one of our favorite mantras: a position in a reading of the deck is not the same as a position in a house. Lots of different things can happen in readings with individuals being represented by cards because of choices, actions etc which conform to the character of the card. For instance we have seen Anomander represented by Knight of Darkness, a position he also holds, but Fiddler represented as soldier of life, which we are not sure if he holds or not, although there is no evidence he does.

Hossier; unless there is some evidence you can bring to the table that suggests that the CG is chain then I'd be inclined to disagree with you; the position in the deck existed as an unaligned before the CG & House of Chains were accepted into the deck. If you are going off his nickname 'the chained one' alone then this is likely to be a red herring as the chain theme is used a lot by Erikson without reference to the CG.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 14 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

I AM A TWAT

#13 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

The Chain...it's a pity we don't know the identities of more Unaligned apart from Obelisk/Burn because then we might be able to discern more information.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#14 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

I don't think that each card necessarily has a personification, some maybe dormant, only at play on certain occasions or even just forces.
I AM A TWAT

#15 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

The way Fiddler closes one of his games (GotM I think) with an unaligned and declares that "True sight and judgement closes this game" makes me think most of the Unaligned, like Sceptre, Orb, Throne, Crown, Chain and even Obelisk to to some extent are more inanimate and don't often represent people, being more like a set of actions or personality. Though 3 of them did represent Withal's Nachts in tBH...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#16 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

GODDAMNIT Grub's friends why didn't I think of that...I'm so ignorant. :)
Suck it Errant!

#17 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

View PostD, on 14 January 2009 - 03:25 PM, said:

The way Fiddler closes one of his games (GotM I think) with an unaligned and declares that "True sight and judgement closes this game" makes me think most of the Unaligned, like Sceptre, Orb, Throne, Crown, Chain and even Obelisk to to some extent are more inanimate and don't often represent people, being more like a set of actions or personality. Though 3 of them did represent Withal's Nachts in tBH...

what three where those ones? Just remind me please, or quote it if you can :veryangry:
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#18 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

They were Crown, Sceptre and Orb.

Fist, where’s Grub hiding these days?’
‘On Nok’s ship,’ Keneb replied, bewildered and strangely frightened.
‘Well, that knocks you outa the game, though you still get four more cards, since we’ve made a course
correction and the northeast headland’s rising up two pegs to starboard. In seventy heartbeats we’ll be
sliding closest to that rocky coast, and Nok’s ship will be even closer, and Grub will dive overboard.
He’s got three friends living in the caves in the cliff and here are their cards—’ Three more skidded out to
just beyond the centre of the table. ‘Crown, Sceptre, Orb. Hmm, let’s ignore those for now.’

#19 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

what did they mean? Crown Scpetre and Orb relating to the nachts?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#20 User is offline   lifeslayer 

• Recruit

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:22 AM

View PostAin, on 14 January 2009 - 10:10 AM, said:

The Chain...it's a pity we don't know the identities of more Unaligned apart from Obelisk/Burn because then we might be able to discern more information.

I don't know why I assumed this, but I keep thinking that the Unaligned Chain is Karsa. Also, there's allusions to the chains of souls he drags around with him - I remember Samar Dev saying it at least once in TBH and perhaps again in RG.

He was at one point the Knight of Chains, right? I don't know if that's true any longer.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users