Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfers, January 2009

#1 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

So Wayne Bridge was the first "big-name" player to move in the transfer window (I use the term hesitantly), and Jermaine Defoe will be unveiled as a Spurs player, again, before the Carling Cup match tonight between Spurs and Burnley, but I'm sure there will be more than just that going on this month! Will City buy a totally new defence? Will City buy a totally new strikeforce? Will City buy a totally new defence? Will City buy a totally new goalkeeper? That and literally some other questions will be answered in the next month, but what are people's predictions?

This post has been edited by Imperial Historian: 06 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#2 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

I don't have a clear substantiated opinion at the moment, or at least one I'm willing to share at length now, but I should point out that you should change the thread title :whistle:

Personally I think City will probably try to get in three or four strong players, I think this includes another Defender, Given if they can get him, another Striker and one other player for a position they really need to improve in. I don't think there will be any big moves, from here on in, from the top four clubs except perhaps Heskey although I slightly expect him to stay for some reason.

#3 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

I'm pretty certain Arsenal will be making some big moves, unless you mean Villa (who are also looking like doing some buying). Already in talks over Arshavin, and if they don't buy a DM I'll be very surprised, because Wenger will be moving from stubborn to moronic.

City linked with Parker - a step in the right direction. A striker who can score would help, but they've scored 30 goals in the league anyway, 24 coming from AMs (unless you call Robinho a striker), so that should be bottom of the list - But I think Crouch worth a shot if they do. They should look at Upson as well, while they're raiding West Ham, and Chimbonda if he's still unsettled at Sunderland.
Don't think the big names will materialize. They might stick in a bid for Zhirkov, but he's not exactly high priority either.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#4 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on Jan 7 2009, 01:25 AM, said:

I'm pretty certain Arsenal will be making some big moves,

I bloody well hope so but can't see it. Wenger will probably buy some unknown toddler from uzbekistan and carry on jabberring about "building for the future".

#5 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

Citeh are doing a Chelsea in every respect. First Ben-Haim, then Bridge, now Parker, it's like they're following a blueprint. They should get Kolo Toure though, he's requested a transfer and despite it being rejected, I cant see the Arsenal board turning down £10mil plus for a player who's looked a shadow of himself since getting malaria. I also think Citeh will pick up Bellamy.

Arsenal will but no-one but a french attacking midfielder we're all pretty sure we've heard the name of but know nothing about. He will then tear his cruciate ligaments in the first game. And (this is a personal hunch of mine, I've heard nothing about it though), Robert Green from West Ham.

Sp*rs should get Appiah to go with Defoe, if he stays fit he'll be a good signing (exactly what they need in the middle) but he's had an absolute mare staying fit for a few seasons now. I wouldnt be surprised to see them get Given too.

Chelsea are after a new striker but I cant think who they'd get, and Liverpool are never afraid to buy anyone whether they need them or not, so expect another 10 squad players to appear.

#6 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

Allegedly Zenit are willing to sell Arshavin to the Gooners for £12million. Odd, considering Spurs had £16million rejected in the summer... but Arsenal won't meet his wage demands anyway, heheh.

This post has been edited by caladanbrood: 07 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

Scolari won't be buying, purse is closed aparently.
Given will likely be bought, if he stays at newcastle its appluadable loyalty

#8 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

Apparently Arsenal are willing to pay the fee and Arshavin is willing to take a pay cut, but Zenit want it all up front instead of installments, which is holding things up. As we've struggled defensively all season (and last), aother attacking midfielder is clearly what we need to spend all our money on, so this one might actually happen (eventually).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users