• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The new Doctor Who.

#1 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

So they announced who the 11th Doctor is going to be.

Matt Smith.

I haven't the foggiest idea who he is but hey, Moffat is taking over control of the show so it could be even better.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

He's pretty decent, but hardly the most experienced actor in the world. From the interview with him that they showed though, he seems to have the right blend of comedy and serious that they need for the new Doctor :p
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#3 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

I've never heard of any of the doctors until they were on the show, but I really like the 10th Doctor.

Based off the 4th season I'd expect the current Doctor to continue through this season, but you never know.

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

Tennant is filming three (iirc) specials for 2009, and then Matt Smith will take over for the next series, in Spring 2010.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

ok Brood it looks like you are correct.

Like any normal series I was expecting normal episodes this year but the press release announcing this new guy said he would be in the 5th season starting in 2010.

So I guess we just get those specials, hopefully I can get them in the US. I tried watching the video online of Smith but it isn't available over here.

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

So, they're letting irate fans have a whole year to blast the new guy before he's even in an episode? Seems a bit silly to me.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:40 AM

Ooh Ooh can I start the blasting?

He looks like a tosser.

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:52 AM

I have some secret backstage info, actually. He's only going to be in the first half of the first episode in the new series. He's going to be hit by something heavy and embarassing, then regenerate just after the halfway mark.

After this guy, the new Doctor will be
Spoiler

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

I thought they were going with Paterson Joseph?

The more I look at it, the more that guy looks like a cross between Ecclestone and Tennant...

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#10 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

Tony Robinson FTW.......The Doctor should always have a cunning plan.

#11 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

Illy, that would be beyond awesome.

imagine the fun that could be had with him as the Doctor:

Companion No. 1: "What should we do Doctor?"

The Doctor: "DIVE!"

Magnificent, don't you agree.

though I may admit to some small measure of bias in my view.
meh. Link was dead :(

#12 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

View PostLost Marine, on Jan 4 2009, 03:40 AM, said:

Ooh Ooh can I start the blasting?

He looks like a tosser.

I couldn't agree more. Looks like the most arrogant man in the world - who tosses.

I liked the James Nezbit idea they were bandying around. but hey, just go with the loser no one's heard of. It's a big ask to step into tennants boots
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#13 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

He also looks about 12. I do like the implication that as the Doctor gets older he regenerates into a body that looks younger.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

quick note: Tennant is doing 4 specials this year according to some interview with BBC.

Also I don't like how young this new guy looks. But I'm sure he will do a good job (or a new Doctor will be taking over quickly).

#15 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8073734.stm

Posted Image

Doctor Who assistant is unveiled

Little-known actress Karen Gillan has been unveiled as the next assistant in Doctor Who.

The 21-year-old will star alongside new Time Lord Matt Smith in the new series, to be broadcast next year.

Gillan has already appeared in the drama, having played a Soothsayer in The Fires Of Pompeii in the last run.

"I am absolutely over the moon at being chosen to play the Doctor's new companion. - I just can't wait to get started," she said.

'Incredible actor'

"The show is such a massive phenomenon that I can't quite believe I am going to be a part of it.

"Matt Smith is an incredible actor and it is going to be so much fun to act alongside him," she added.

Head of Drama, BBC Wales, Piers Wenger said she brings "energy and excitement" to the role.

"When she auditioned alongside Matt we knew we had something special," he said.

Writer and executive producer Steven Moffat said they saw some "amazing actresses" but Gillan "walked through the door the game was up".

He described her as "funny, and clever, and gorgeous, and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it".

"A generation of little girls will want to be her. And a generation of little boys will want them to be her too," he added.

Gillan, from Inverness, developed a love for acting after attending several youth theatre groups and taking part in various school productions.

At the age of 16, she decided to pursue her career further and left school to study acting at Edinburgh's Telford College.

She went on to secure a place at the Italia Conti drama school in London and landed her first role in the Scottish drama Rebus.

Parts in Channel 4's Stacked, The Kevin Bishop Show and James Nesbitt's forthcoming film Outcast followed, but the role in Doctor Who is her first high profile to date.

INSIDER'S VIEW
Lizo Mzimba, Entertainment correspondent

The 2010 series is a crucial one for the programme. David Tennant has been such a big part of the show's success, that expectations for his successor are huge.

So the choice of a relative unknown to accompany the new Doctor in The Tardis is an unsurprising one.

If a well-known actress had been chosen, there would always be the danger that they would overshadow Matt Smith in his first series.

And The Doctor needs to be the main focus of the show, even though the companion role is much more significant now than it was in the classic series between 1963 and 1989.

#16 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

Doctor Who - The Wonder Years?

Freaking young cast. Hopefully they can pull it off!

#17 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

Wait a minute!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

Is this series good? Whenever I ask someone if Doctor Who is any good, they just laugh in derision and shake their heads emphatically.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#19 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

It really depends. Doctor Who is part of British TV history, and will always be looked upon with affection because of that. They've recently brought it back, and have so far done 4 new series, and while they have been very popular, they aren't neccessarily as good as the originals. They're difficult to descirbe though, really, and it helps if you know something about the old ones to understand some of the new ones. The first "new" series was fairly ridiculous, with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, and while he was excellent, he was somewhat let down by some very questionable storylines. David Tennant has had more success, because he's had better scripts to work with.

Personally, I enjoy it a lot. Not too serious, bit of a flash-back to the mid-nineties as a kid when I watched a few re-runs of old ones and hid behind the sofa most of the evening. They're not entirely aimed at adults, but like I said... dificult to really describe. The best thing to do is to watch some yourself and prepare to suspend disbelief while doing so. It's meant to just be fun, not mind-blowing.

#20 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Yes Tennant has been well served by some excellent scripts; "Blink", which was on again last week, is outsandingly good television. Ecclestone had a couple of decent scripts himself, "The Empty Child", for one, is incredibly creepy...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

Share this topic:

• 91 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users