• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:51 PM

From the blog:

2057. In the depths of the Solar system, large spacecraft routinely intercept and redirect ice asteroids and comets into Earth orbit, where their raw materials can be used to fuel Earth's growing economy and incessant need for raw materials. When Saturn's moon Janus inexplicably leaves its orbit and heads out of the Solar system in the direction of the star Spica, an 'ice-pusher' ship named Rockhopper is the only vessel positioned to intercept it. The plan is for the ship to tail the anomaly for a week before returning to Earth. Naturally, complications ensue and the crew of Rockhopper are forced to make a home on Janus as it accelerates towards lightspeed, which will carry them to Spica in 250 years, although thanks to time dilation only a dozen years will pass for those on board.

Pushing Ice is a hard SF novel in the 'Big Dumb Object' tradition, following in the footsteps of Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, Larry Niven's Ringworld and Greg Bear's Eon. However, unlike a lot of BDO books which tend to put characterisation way behind spectacle and awe, Pushing Ice is centred firmly on the relationship between two female crewmembers of the Rockhopper, Captain Bella Lind and navigator Svetlana Barseghian, two firm friends who suffer a catastrophic falling-out over the Rockhopper's new mission and whose subsequent relations colour much of the novel. This gives the book an emotional centre which helps make it easier to relate to the more traditional, awe-inspiring spectacle stuff that unfolds later on.

Whilst unrelated to any of his other novels, Pushing Ice features Reynolds' trademark use of non-faster-than-light travel and the inevitable closer interrelationship between humanity and its machines, although broadly along more positive lines than his Revelation Space novels. Pushing Ice is also more relatable, as its technology is less exotic and much closer to current day levels, meaning his characters have to work even harder to survive in the hostile environments they find themselves in.

Pushing Ice becomes a multi-generational tale as life on Janus during and after is voyage unfolds and Reynolds' story reaches impressive new levels of invention as we discover more about the alien Spicans and their goals. There is a strong similarity here to Clarke's Rama Cycle, but he makes more interesting and focused points in considerably less time and pages than Clarke's earlier work, and the characters he uses to achieve that goal are considerably more interesting.

Pushing Ice ( ****-and-a-half ) doesn't quite hit the same high as Reynolds' masterwork Chasm City, but it comes damn close. As a hard SF novel in the Big Dumb Object tradition, Pushing Ice is a triumph, but achieves its success with more emotion and heart than most such books. This novel is thoroughly recommended and is available from Gollancz in the UK and from Ace in the USA.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

while it would be exceedingly difficult to top chasm city i definitely agree with wert. this is reynolds in top form with two exceptionally strong female leads. a tip top read.
sitting down here in the campfire light, waiting on the ghost of tom joad.

#3 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

View Postlord of tragedy, on Dec 18 2008, 09:24 PM, said:

while it would be exceedingly difficult to top chasm city i definitely agree with wert. this is reynolds in top form with two exceptionally strong female leads. a tip top read.

aye. Lately his stand alone books have been much stronger than the books clearly located in the revelation space series. The House of Suns and Pushing Ice compared to the Prefect for instance.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#4 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:45 AM

Definitely agree with all the above. Pushing Ice is one of my favourite Reynolds novels, probably second only to Chasm City... and The Prefect was fairly dull.

Spoiler

Have to say though, I didn't think much of House of Suns. I found the idea of the Houses being in any way superior to any other beings in the galaxy as faintly ridiculous. They were children messing about with the toys they'd found, technology they had no understanding of nor respect for. So, for other inhabitants of the galaxy to find them anything other than despicable kind of annoyed me. Why did no other races do a similar thing (i.e. collect the cool things that lie around the place, giving them a large technological or military advance)? Really, all the Gentians had to them was longevity. They weren't smarter, or faster, or more deserving. They were all kind of just nobs.

edit - wow, bizarre, I thought I was on a completely different forum when I was posting that. Suprised to see the piss vial staring back at me :(

This post has been edited by Yellow: 20 December 2008 - 09:50 AM

Don't fuck with the Culture.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users