• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestions For a strategy game

#21 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

I can now tell you to not bother downloading Heroes of Might and Magic 5... stupid fucking game doesn't allow you to divide your stacks of forces, and whats's more you can only use 8 slots meaning if you for example come across a massive pile of angels that want to join you can't add them without dropping another pile. ANd that pile doesn't just stay put, it disappears! FUCK YOU DEVELOPERS!

#22 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

split troops by: Shift klik on a open spot when you are at town... i agree that its a crappy game.. WY CANT I HAVE MORE THAN 1 HERO PER ARMY DAMN YOU (and i want to have armys moving around without hero its so much simpler
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#23 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

View Postberu, on Jan 22 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

split troops by: Shift klik on a open spot when you are at town... i agree that its a crappy game.. WY CANT I HAVE MORE THAN 1 HERO PER ARMY DAMN YOU (and i want to have armys moving around without hero its so much simpler

Ah, sounds like someone else prefered HoMM4 too! :p Both of the points you mentioned are things that were in HoMM3 only to be removed for 4 and brought back for 5...

Apt said:

I can now tell you to not bother downloading Heroes of Might and Magic 5... stupid fucking game doesn't allow you to divide your stacks of forces, and whats's more you can only use 8 slots meaning if you for example come across a massive pile of angels that want to join you can't add them without dropping another pile. ANd that pile doesn't just stay put, it disappears! FUCK YOU DEVELOPERS!

For your first problem, there will be some kind of shortcut that allows you to do it, I'd imagine. Try beru's advice with the shift+click. For the second, that's something that wasn't in HoMM4...

*Waves the 'HoMM4 was better' flag a little harder*

Sir Thursday

This post has been edited by Sir Thursday: 22 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#24 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

2 was the best
naayayayaya ~stick out tongue and the like ~

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

There is no shortcut I checked the controls and online manual.

This game can go fuck itself, especially since the heroine makes me want to drive her over a cliff.

It could have been so good but for some reason they're probably going to excuse as gameplay balance they just wont allow me to build a proper army. And the battlefied should be much much bigger.

#26 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

Homm 3 was the best!
souls are for wimps

#27 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

View PostFrookenhauer, on Feb 1 2009, 03:20 PM, said:

Homm 3 was the best!

Why did you like it more than HoMM4 then?

(If you're going to make such patently false statements, I have a right to question you :()
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#28 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Of the entire series, I only played HOMM 5, and it made me wish I never ever saw it in the budget pile at my local gameshop. When I had played through the campaign up to the point where I could recruit every single unit for the empire or whatever the default human side is called, I was severely disappointed.
8 or so different units, each one with one simple single upgrade, no cohesion or nifty combinations between the units (exception: the guys that could, chancebased, intercept ranged attacks), it all was rather meh to me and I gave up after the human campaign.

It's maybe unfair to compare that one game that I didn't even finish to another, but I felt that where it comes to combat, unit development (I've fussed over them, shouted at my screen, prayed for them and babysat them, especially the 1-hit-and-I'm-dead mages) and overall group cohesion, Disciples II was vastly superior.

Disciples however has a whiny and difficult story no matter the faction, crap graphics, at least as far as the map is concerned and very repetitive maps :(
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#29 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

Haven't played any of the Disciples franchise, perhaps I ought to give them a shot.

Just reinstalled Heroes IV so I can relive the fun once more :(.

Sir Thursday

#30 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

I only ever played the HoMM game for gameboy, whatever that one was called. I loved it though.

#31 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

View PostSir Thursday, on Feb 1 2009, 03:51 PM, said:

Homm 3 was the best!

(If you're going to make such patently false statements, I have a right to question you :p)

The whole idea that the hero was p[art of the army was a bad idea. when the armies are large the hero is killed instantly and you lose the bonuses. I liked it so much I am now about to start a new game...so there!

edit: Disciples 2 is a really good game, but quite dated now, unfortunately. Good story excellent ideas, but the battles can be a bit...samey after a while

This post has been edited by Frookenhauer : 01 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

souls are for wimps

#32 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

if your hero (in HoMaM 4 i think that one with the hero in the army) dies too fast try a: train him and give him combat (evry one sould have combat even mages) B: put a tier 4 unit in fornt of him...

#33 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

if your hero (in HoMaM 4 i think that one with the hero in the army) dies too fast try a: train him and give him combat (evry one sould have combat even mages) B: put a tier 4 unit in fornt of him...

#34 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

View PostFrookenhauer, on Feb 1 2009, 08:29 PM, said:

View PostSir Thursday, on Feb 1 2009, 03:51 PM, said:

Homm 3 was the best!

(If you're going to make such patently false statements, I have a right to question you :p)

The whole idea that the hero was p[art of the army was a bad idea. when the armies are large the hero is killed instantly and you lose the bonuses. I liked it so much I am now about to start a new game...so there!

edit: Disciples 2 is a really good game, but quite dated now, unfortunately. Good story excellent ideas, but the battles can be a bit...samey after a while

You obviously didn't level up your hero enough. A high level hero is pretty much a one man army if you can get them up to about level 15 or so. Seriously - in one of the campaigns there's a level you have to do with pretty much only your 4 heroes, but if you'd leveled them up even a little they'd trounce pretty much anything.

Sir Thursday

#35 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

I played Heroes V, you could split stacks by holding shift and dragging the original over to an empty slot. Apt is an idiot.

I didn't really like it, even though one of the expansions added an alternative upgrade choice to all the armies including the new two I just though it was really limited in scope. Apt is an idiot with similar tastes to myself, only less awesome of course.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 01 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#36 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:05 AM

Really? Do they still survive against 200 + distance fighters?!?

If so, I will dig up 4 and give it another go, cos I got frustrated and let it go
souls are for wimps

#37 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:40 AM

View PostFrookenhauer, on Feb 2 2009, 02:05 AM, said:

Really? Do they still survive against 200 + distance fighters?!?

If so, I will dig up 4 and give it another go, cos I got frustrated and let it go

I'm going to play through that Heroes only mission tomorrow, so I'll let you know. Playing the first one, they would take a decent amount of damage from 100+ unit stacks, but they could withstand it - that was with Heroes in the 11-15 range levelwise.

I think the key is that you have to scale your Heroes up with your armies - I'm fairly sure if you get your Hero all the combat and defence upgrades they'll be pretty solid in any fight, no matter how huge the stacks are.

The caveat is that I haven't played in a while so I can't remember exactly how high level you need your Heroes to be...I shall report on my further investigation though.

Sir Thursday

#38 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:43 AM

hmm

the only HOMM games I have ever played were Heroes chronicles
which one were those based on?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#39 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:45 AM

HoMM3
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#40 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:33 AM

what i (and my brothers) did with heros 3: we had an army with four heros two panzers and to nukclear missile platforms... on our best save we were able to kill 1k tier 1 units on one move... (dissintigrate ftw!)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users