• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NFL OT madness

#1 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

I aint american so maybe it is just me, but how the hell can such a big sport have such a lousy way of deciding close games.

I have seen maybe 6 Tied games during my life on Television ( Yeah i am Danish hasnt been easy to see many games here during the years, but this year is good.) and every single one has been won by the team who wins the coin toss. :(

Last night game between NO and Chicago was just the latest exampel and got me thinking.

We have a good game with 2 good teams and then it gets decided by this bullshit. I meen comeon 1 to 3 drives and a field goal decides like 90% of the OT games, where is the fun in that after a good game.

Besides that i think this is crappy way to decide tied games, it puts advantage to good defending teams versus good offensive teams. Isnt that counter produktive?

I know i would much rather see offensive teams play than defensive teams.

Basicly i just want to know this.

How can such a huge sport with millions of fans, be happy with this solution to tied games, and why dont the fans demand another way to decide them.

My oppinion.

I would love if they played the full quarter of OT no matter what. Then i would atleast get to see the offensive teams do their stuff.

#2 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

any game that takes nigh on 2 hours to play 1 hour of actual "game" is silly imo :(

#3 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

View PostMacros, on Dec 12 2008, 02:10 PM, said:

any game that takes nigh on 2 hours to play 1 hour of actual "game" is silly imo :(

It's more like 3 :(

But that's just the way it is, If you lose the coin toss then it's your defense against their offense...better hope they're up for it. Playing a whole quarter just makes the game too long.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

View PostMacros, on Dec 12 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

Let's face it, it's not as bad as NFL!
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

3 hours?
To play 4 quarter hour sections, what a completely ridiculous sport.

#6 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:35 AM

Actually, the team that wins the toss wins the game just a little over 50% of the time. I agree though, I hate NFL overtime. College football has a much better method.

The only reason games last so long is because of tv timeouts. Take those out of the game, it would go a lot faster. Plus halftime is a big chunk of time.
Error: Signature not valid

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:13 AM

still way to many stoppages, you gota change the system. play the quarter, tv break, play a quarte,r tv break, half time, tv break, ten mins analysis, tv break, play a quarter, tv break, play a quarter, tv break, post game.
or be men and play a half, fifteen mins for half time the play another half.
And stop calling it football, oblong pigskin rarely meets foot :(

#8 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:49 AM

Ok Macros we get it. You dont like NFL.

Raymond L. Y. enlighten me what kind of OT do they use in college football and if it is better why the hell dont they use it in NFL also?

#9 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:55 AM

Ye I am danish as well. What annoyes me is that Zulu with Falkeøje and NFLming is not sending the show anymore. Instead we get 3-4 braindead commentators on shitty tv3 with commercials half the time.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#10 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:00 AM

View PostDaser, on Dec 12 2008, 05:49 PM, said:

Ok Macros we get it. You dont like NFL.

Raymond L. Y. enlighten me what kind of OT do they use in college football and if it is better why the hell dont they use it in NFL also?

Here's the deal with college OT. Both teams get a single possession starting from their opponent's 25 yard line. The first team does their possession, if they run out of downs obviously they score no points, so most of the time if they can't get a first down they'll kick a field goal. Then the other team gets their go from 25 yards out. If it's still tied, they do it again.

Now, it's a huge advantage to go second. If the first team only gets a field goal, you know that scoring your own field goal will be enough to tie it back up and force a second overtime. If the first team scores a touchdown, the second team knows not to even bother with the field goal, and knows they must score a TD. Going first sucks, because you don't know if a field goal will be good enough or not.

Not sure why they don't use it in the NFL. One criticism is that it eliminates a big part of the game, kickoffs, from overtime. I like it.

Macros, quit trolling a perfectly good football thread. I don't go into every soccer thread and point out the obvious flaws of that silly game. We get it, you don't like football and can't quite wrap your mind around the name. See you later.

#11 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:36 AM

View PostSindriss, on Dec 13 2008, 02:55 AM, said:

Ye I am danish as well. What annoyes me is that Zulu with Falkeøje and NFLming is not sending the show anymore. Instead we get 3-4 braindead commentators on shitty tv3 with commercials half the time.

With what Tv2sport is showing, i can accually see 5 or 6 games a week which is huge compared to earlier here in Denmark, so i wont complain to much about shitty commentators yet.
Hopefully the TV3 host will get better now he has more NFL to present.

Thank you for the explaination Raymond Luxury Yacht.

That sounds so much better. With those rules strong defensive teams no longer have obvious advantage and i really like that both teams have their chance.

#12 User is offline   Grumble 

• High Mage of High House HAWT

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

Before this season, of the 417 regular-season OT games, 222, or 53.2 percent, had been won by the team winning the coin flip, with 179, or 42.9 percent, being captured by the team losing the flip. Sixteen of the games had concluded in ties.

The most meaningful figure: 123 times, the team winning the flip drove for the winning points off the kickoff.
What Would Jack Do ?

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

oh please rly, I wasn't trolling I was making a joke, I actually enjoy watching yankee football, its great for sitting down with a few beers to watch, and is particularly well suited for epic showdown sports movies. It IS a drawn out affair you have to admit, if te commercials would quit it'd be a much faster paced and exciting sport
On the subject at hand, regardless of whatever method one uses to decide a tied game, there's going to be gripes.
I remember getting into a heated argument on another board with an american (possibly at the time of the germany 06 world cup) over games (football/soccer) being decided by penalties. His rationale was that it was silly and they may as well have drawn straws or had a sack race. Personally I think if a game has got to penalties there's been 2 hours of football (soccer) has been played, and either there's nothing to separate the two or ones made showcase defense, or an offense disaster (missing everything) and really a shoot out is fair, it shows who can handle the pressure, who's going to bottle it, and it allows the little team a chance, which imo is fine if they've battled it out with a superior team for 2 hours and held them to a draw.
The OT ruling in NFL always struck me as a bit of an ad hoc affair, someone came up with it one day and it was never really refined. The principle is much like the "golden goal" rule that (thankfully for a short time) had effect in football (soccer) first to score in extra time wins. The golden goal was slightly more fair (slightly) as it doesn't matter too much who gets the kick off in extra time in football (soccer) but in american football, like rugby, whoever starts with the ball gains a massive advantage. I think it has to be a considerable advantage to the team going first, if you can get a few good gains, pop a field goal, game over, and the other team doesn't even get a chance to respond (in soccer silver goal was once discussed (extra time in soccer is a half hour, broke into two 15 minute periods) where, if one team has an advantage after the first 15 mins, they win) This is much more like the college ball system rly mentioned.
But as RLY detailed, that system has its flaws as well, whoever goes second in this instance gets the advantage.
Problematic as the coin toss might be, the fact remains, someone has to go first, and the much maligned coin toss is the traditional sporting way of deciding who does this, its random, 50/50 chance, and in that respect as fair as one can make it. Were you to break down the games statisitics and award kickoff to the best performing team (disregarding score, obviously, I duno, most yards gained or best hit of the game) it would be a farce and outrage would likely result.
And as unfair as it might seem Daser's statistics would suggest that its no more flawed than many other deciding methods 52.3% of the times the winning toss is the winning team. I'd be willing to bet going second in college ball OT would relay a similar marginal win on the % front. Penalties can be a lottery, a player could slip, the keeper a lot of the time picks a side and dives, regardless of the players set up.

When you look at the resulting wins to coin flip wins ratio, its nearly 50%, why not cut out the arguments, and just decide the tie with a coin toss, that way, there would be no more draws.
(or possibly roshambo, that would be awesome)

#14 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

Okay i must admit i am surprised. I didnt know it was was only a 53,2% advantage for the winner of the coin toss.(thank you Grumble)

All i have ever seen is 1-3 drives and feildgoal from starting team. Never saw other team have QB on field in those.

I guess my true gripe is with the the many games ending without both having offensive drives.

Macros you can post as many jokes you like when you also contributes to the original post.(your first 3 didnt)

That being said i hated golden goal in soccer. The 2 x 15 minutes and if still tied - penalties is way better.

Sadly this cant be used in NFL since it would become to long. Maybe they could play 1 extra quarter and if it is still tied then fieldgoal shootout from growing distances until 1 team fails?

#15 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

oh gods no. it would result in massive pay for some guy whos sole ability is massive kicks (the leg in the replacements :() play the extra quarter for a tie then kick to victory.
Just a standard 15 minute quarter, none of the first past the post business. still leaves you with the coin toss problem but less so.

#16 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

Gah, macros, wall of text much?

#17 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

One discussion I've heard to fix the NFL system is to do it the same as it is now, but both teams a guaranteed at least one possession. So, if team A wins the toss, receives, and drives down to score a possession, team B will get one possession to try and drive down and tie it up to reset the OT. If both teams get at least one possession without scoring, then OT is played normally until one team scores and then the game is over. As far as fairness goes, and involving every aspect of the game, this is great. The downside would be longer and less exciting OTs.

#18 User is offline   MOONSPAWN 

• Recruit

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

the main reason why the nfl's ot is the way it is.
the commish said that they want the game over in the 4 quarters.
the nfl doesn't want ot. so they make it unappealing.
to make the teams go for the win , within the games natural time frame

#19 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

View PostMOONSPAWN, on Dec 13 2008, 03:17 PM, said:

the main reason why the nfl's ot is the way it is.
the commish said that they want the game over in the 4 quarters.
the nfl doesn't want ot. so they make it unappealing.
to make the teams go for the win , within the games natural time frame

Well that about sums it up right there, invisible rep for you.

Besides, College OT sucks.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#20 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:24 AM

College OT rules. So much more exciting than NFL.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users