Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crysis It's my party and I'll...

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

I just borrowed this from a friend yesterday and I've been playing it all afternoon.

My GOD this game is SEXY!

I'm only playing the game on the systems medium settings and it's fucking beautifull. Like, stop-up-and-gawk-at the-lush-environment-while-a-jap-shoots-you-in-the-colon beautifull. The amount of detail is just amazing.

The AI opponents are fiendishly clever, and I'm only playing on medium. While they can be easily fooled, especially with the cloak function, they're pretty sneaky. I've seen them put down suppression fire keeping me in a house or behind a cover while they cirkle around. And they're not easy to draw away from a strong position.

I am in love with the battlesuit. There's nothing more awesome than bursting into a group unseen and just punching them to death before they realise what's happening. Or zipping into a house, dropping a grenade, and zooming back out. Or spending 5 minutes climbng a small mountain side to get the ultimate sniper position.

So far the story is pretty well done. I could see this getting made into a movie. The characters are both funny and lifelike. The facial and body detail is pretty good.

Anyone else played this? I think I might have to pick up Crysis: Warhead.

#2 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

While I have not played this myself, I've watched it being played on the highest settings (the guy's system is a beast, and even then it was being pushed to the limit in some places), and it looks fantastic. Gameplay-wise, fighting the Koreans is great fun and really gets you thinking about how best to use the capabilities of the suit properly. The right amount of sneakage can be pretty effective!

Have to say though, after
Spoiler
, it wasn't quite as awesome, IMO. But still good fun, and a very enjoyable game.

I hear Crysis:Warhead has been optimised better so that people with slightly lower settings might be able to experience the PRETTY. And yes, that deserves capitals.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Damn you! Why must you put spoilers in there when I haven't finished it yet! :) :) :)

Is it the aliens? I've heard there's a giant spaceship at the end...?! Oooh, sweet spoiler, why must you tempt me so?!! :) :)

Right now I'm plowing around on a giant battlefield close to the excavasion site. There's tanks and humvees and choppers everywhere. It's so damn awesome. Some of the soldiers are running around with laser-like/railgun-type weapons. I want one of those badboys. The incindiary rounds for the AK47 are so far the best I've encountered. They kick so much ass.

#4 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

The Gauss Gun is your friend :).

That spoiler is nothing to worry about, it's just that I personally feel that the Man-in-Suit vs. Koreans sections are the best parts of the game. Although there's this weird...Haha, no I won't spoil it for you.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#5 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

Crysis is very good looking. Although considering the strain it puts on my system to run it at very high, compared with running Fallout 3 at very high (which looks nearly as good, imo, although I'll grant it's easier to make buildings and ruins look good than it is to make beautiful jungle), it's a bit of a pain.

The AI really isn't that good. The game mechanics are broken as well - how many shots does it take to kill a Korean again? Half a clip to the chest? W. T. F.

I eventually bit the bullet and got the weapon rebalancing mod - that makes it win. Far superior to the standard stuff.

Storyline is pretty good...nothing spectacular, though (then again, what games do have a spectacular storyline these days? Especially in the shooter genre). Still, it makes sense, mostly, which is all that is required. :)

It's a good game. Just the way the Koreans seem to be able to take more hits than you can with your suit is annoying. And the AI just looks smart. They're easy to trick, and somehow don't realize that if they all just stood in a line and fired at full auto you'd be down in 2 seconds and none of them would die. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

I was a bit surprised at the resiliance of the Koreans as well at first, but I've noticed that it's not that they're extremely tough. It's that you shoot like a drunk blind guy. I guess it's an attempt to similate the fact that real life shooting isn't just holding a crosshair at the head and chest of a guy and clicking. But yeah, generally it takes three to four shots at the torso or head before they stay down. It's not helping that I'm up against the elite commandos now with flackjackets, helmets and submachineguns. Good thing they can't figure out how to use their own rocket launchers.

#7 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

Methinks I might just have to give this a go.

Has it dropped in price yet?

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, my friend bought it for a hundred kroner. That's around 20 dollars or 10-12 pounds.

#9 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

Sweet, I've got a $25 gift card to Best Buy that's got Crysis written all over it.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

Oh my, I'm
Spoiler
this shit is creeping me the fuck out.

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

Nice Apt. :)

But what difficulty are you playing at? I'm hitting 95% of the time, and they're not going down. I say that like I'm playing at the moment, but I haven't played in months.
Seriously, it's like half a clip on Delta. Although, as I said, the weapon balance mod fixes this issue.

It's still fun without, of course. And once you get the Gauss Rifle....well....they just die. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users