Malazan Empire: Kilava? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kilava? Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Scytale_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 20 March 2004 - 05:39 AM

It's been bugging me for a while now, but Kilava doesn't seem to be an ascendent (at least nothing hinted at that fact in MoI). However, she is still alive 300,000 years later after the events at Morn (and still mortal, I think Tool once points out).

Now, exactly what was the point of the ritual of Telann if the Imass naturally live for so long? Therefore, assuming the ritual was necessary for the immortality granted Kilava must be an ascendent, or there is a MAJOR plot flaw here.

Comments?

--
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

— Hector Berlioz (1803-1869)

#2 User is offline   Bourbonjack 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

This has been bugging me a lot as well. Not sure why more people don't ask this very same question. Unfortunately, I did not come upon anything that might hint at an answer in MOI. I am hoping that more is revealed in later books. I doubt that Erikson would miss such a huge plot flaw.

#3 User is offline   ThinkingMalaz 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

Well she IS a soletaken and a very powerful bonecaster, so I don't think she is really a typical Imass... Still I don't think she is an ascendant, but something is deffo still hidden, I hope for some clarity in tCG

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

she's definitely an ascendant. after all this time as the only living bonecaster it would be ridiculous if she wasn't. at what point she ascended i'm not sure, but soletaken who aren't ascendants have been around since the first empire so i think that alone could contribute to her longevity.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

She's not an Ascendant, and Imass don't live so long. Kilava lived so long because Onrack captured her in paint, SE's homage to Wilde.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#6 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

BTW -- Scytale -- best character in the later Dune novels :-D
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#7 User is offline   Bourbonjack 

• Recruit

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

View Postjitsukerr, on 17 February 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

She's not an Ascendant, and Imass don't live so long. Kilava lived so long because Onrack captured her in paint, SE's homage to Wilde.

...maybe that should have been spoilered? :dry:

#8 User is offline   Hoods Breath 

• Corporal
  • "Um... It's a Mr. Death. He's here about 'the reaping'...."

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

Any soletaken or d'ivers seem to live forever.
"The truth is that the goal of existence is to kill you" - Ansty, ret. Sergeant, Bridgeburners

#9 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostBourbonjack, on 17 February 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

I don't know, to be honest. It's not information that affects anything, and neither is it a stunning revelation (at least, it wasn't to me).
-- Oscar Wilde

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

View PostBourbonjack, on 17 February 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

Agreed. It doesn't particularly matter how big a revelation it is, if it's in a future book it should be Spoilered. The little things matter. (That said, I personally think it's a pretty big revelation).

This post has been edited by worrywort: 19 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:21 AM

It is a big revelation. Please spoiler it.

Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#12 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:27 AM

i don't see how you can justify that statement. the fact that
Spoiler
would have no effect on her longevity. she's 'immortal' in the sense that her image is forever captured on a cave wall. her long life comes from being a soletaken bonecaster ascendant.

spoilers from the rest of the series:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 19 February 2011 - 04:28 AM

- Oscar Levant

#13 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 19 February 2011 - 04:27 AM, said:

Spoiler
would have no effect on her longevity. she's 'immortal' in the sense that her image is forever captured on a cave wall. her long life comes from being a soletaken bonecaster ascendant.

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by nacht: 19 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

#14 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

View Postnacht, on 19 February 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 19 February 2011 - 04:27 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

all well and good, in fact, i'm willing to concede that may have something to do with it.
Spoiler

- Oscar Levant

#15 User is offline   Hoods Breath 

• Corporal
  • "Um... It's a Mr. Death. He's here about 'the reaping'...."

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

Spoiler

If she ascended, then what did she ascend to? She's neither an elemental force, elder god, or a position in a hold, house, or deck. Unless we see something else from her in the series, I'd have to believe that Kilava is 'just' a powerful Soletaken bonecaster.
"The truth is that the goal of existence is to kill you" - Ansty, ret. Sergeant, Bridgeburners

#16 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostHoods Breath, on 21 February 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

Spoiler

If she ascended, then what did she ascend to? She's neither an elemental force, elder god, or a position in a hold, house, or deck. Unless we see something else from her in the series, I'd have to believe that Kilava is 'just' a powerful Soletaken bonecaster.

Well...
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Luzburg: 22 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

View PostLuzburg, on 21 February 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

Spoiler

Well...
Spoiler

The point, made abundantly clear in DoD, is that Kilava is immensely powerful. Keeping in mind that the term means different things in different situations, Kilava has ascended beyond any other Bonecaster, except possibly Olar who happens to be a draconic Elder God (and possibly a d'ivers manifestation of the world but that's an aside).

Mages are long lived. Shapeshifters are effectively ageless. Bonecasters are mages and shapeshifters. Living Bonecasters (as opposed to T'lan Imass who are undead via the Tellan Ritual) keep growing in power in every respect. And Kilava is the oldest living bonecaster in the world, and subject to what version of the timeline (is not important) you accept, may be a hundred thou years old or so.

So if the question is 'has she ascended?', in the sense of 'is she worshipped as a goddess?', then as far as we know the answer is no. But in the sense of 'has she become far more powerful than the average Imass, Bonecaster or Shapeshifter?', then the answer is absolutely yes.

- Abyss, ...important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

View PostLuzburg, on 21 February 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

Spoiler

Well...
Spoiler

The point, made abundantly clear in DoD, is that Kilava is immensely powerful. Keeping in mind that the term means different things in different situations, Kilava has ascended beyond any other Bonecaster, except possibly Olar who happens to be a draconic Elder God (and possibly a d'ivers manifestation of the world but that's an aside).

Mages are long lived. Shapeshifters are effectively ageless. Bonecasters are mages and shapeshifters. Living Bonecasters (as opposed to T'lan Imass who are undead via the Tellan Ritual) keep growing in power in every respect. And Kilava is the oldest living bonecaster in the world, and subject to what version of the timeline (is not important) you accept, may be a hundred thou years old or so.

So if the question is 'has she ascended?', in the sense of 'is she worshipped as a goddess?', then as far as we know the answer is no. But in the sense of 'has she become far more powerful than the average Imass, Bonecaster or Shapeshifter?', then the answer is absolutely yes.

- Abyss, ...important the timeline is not important the timeline is not important...

For example: Anomander Rake didn't ascend, he became a Soletaken Eleint, and he had the power of Kurald Galain from his Andii blood. You couldn't really say he is an ascendant in the same vein as Shadowthrone or the Queen of Dreams, they obviously trancended weaker human flesh. The same was true of Silchas Ruin. Andarist still held a lot of power, despite not taking his brother's path, but he is very definately described as being a mortal Andii. But yes, she is greater than other lmass (except Tool?) and shapeshifters (except maybe rud elalle?)

I guess it really comes down to the definition of Ascendant. If it means one of great power then yes all the Jaghut Tyrants, Tiste soletaken and true Toblakai are ascendants.
And spoiler for crippled god preview:
Spoiler

But, I think of mortal humanesque people like T'riss, Caladan Brood, Kellenved, Dancer, Dassem and Whiskeyjack when I think of ascension. And I would include Treach because he is shown ascending. The others really don't need to ascend, they are badass at birth. Note: The Seragahl, just like Karsa but called gods.

This post has been edited by Luzburg: 22 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

#19 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:47 AM

Onrack was a weak bonecaster; he says that about himself first time you meet him. It's never mentioned again. He had the hots for a woman and painted her on a cave wall. There was significance to imaging something you value. It affected her with longetivity.

Granted, after 300,000 years you have to be a potent power to survive that long. The difference between Olar Ethil's supposedly ubber power and Kilava's, is that the formner shared the "condemnation" she put her people through and sort of maintained her status quo. Whereas Kilava has had the chance to grow and explore new experiences and expand her bonecasting over milennia. Kilava's eye glitter was enough to stall Ruin's prowess; she would outmatch Ethil in a fight.

Such speculation is useless, of course, as the author kills anyone at anytime in any sudden way.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#20 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:39 AM

Was this thread moved? Cause in the DoD folder the only thing that needs to be spoilered is Crippled God stuff right?

Kilava is one of my favorites characters. I eat the pages she is in with gusto. She has done a ton of things since being the last surviving Bonehunter and each can be seen as an event worthy of leading her to ascendancy. From filling the hole in the rent above Morn to withstanding the pull of the Ritual.

Sincerely
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users