Malazan Empire: Fan-made Non-profit Audio Books are going ahead! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Fan-made Non-profit Audio Books are going ahead!

#1 User is offline   EvadBelBurgh 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Hey all, thought I'd let you know that myself and a willing reader/recorder will be doing fan-made non-profit audio books, hopefully of the entire Malazan series (including ICE's novels). We've been emailing back and forth for the last few days, hashing out ideas, and we're pretty close to starting it off. This post is an open invitation to any of you who would like to be a part of this, guys or girls. :-) We want to give this our best shot, and also prove to ourselves that it can be done. :-)

So if you're interested in helping out, drop us a line. You'll be able to get hold of me at davebrendon@yahoo.com, and my fellow reader/recorder, Remy, at mudingay@ill.fr :-)

Cheers, :-)

This post has been edited by EvadBelBurgh: 16 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Be Fantastic!

#2 User is offline   Iconik 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

I call the Kruppe parts! Man how much fun would that be.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

I don't wish to be killjoy here but I hope you have an agreement with the publishers? Or at least contacted them and let them know what your plans are?

#4 User is offline   Iconik 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:36 PM

They aren't making money off of it so they don't need to I don't think.

#5 User is offline   Vicodin&FantasyBooks 

• Sergeant

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

Torrents are non-profit as well but it's still a method of distributing copywrited material under a different medium - say paper->pdf. What would the difference be if you replaced pdf with a voice recording on an mp3.

You should definitely contact the publisher - let them know you are a part of a fan-site etc. etc.Maybe that'll sway their opinion in your benefit.

Non-profit can be viewed as taking potential profit away from the publisher if you're distributing the same material on another media - even if that media may be free.

This post has been edited by Vicodin&FantasyBooks: 18 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

AND in your forceful innocence you all believe you're somewhat special. That you're better than the sinners of this world. Well you're not special. Not on my internet ;P

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

Indeed, reproducing the books, in any way or form, without the publishers consent sounds illegal.

But could you get a person with a really nasal voice to record this? I'd have so much fun.

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

Without the publishers consent, anything to do with reproducing the books IS illegal. Whatever form they take. Hell, you can't type it up and put it on the web, so why be able to record it?

I like the idea, but you DO need the consent.

Also, much as I hate to be negative, please don't mention the site as if we are involved in, or support, the project. Otherwise we get dragged into the legal debate, and we really don't want that hassle.

But good luck! :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

Transworld's address is in the front of the books, or you could try www.randomhouse.com.

I can tell you categorically that reproducing material from the books in any format without a formal agreement from the publishers will land you in serious trouble.
This forum is allowed to use materials with kind permission from the publishers, and I would not wish to jeopardise that agreement in any way.
So I would rather you discussed this elsewhere, and come back and talk about it when you've actually got an agreement from Bantam/Transworld books. :p

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users