• Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:18 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 July 2021 - 07:11 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 16 July 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 16 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 16 July 2021 - 07:17 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 15 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Dickhead kids.

Still got a scaffold up side of the house we're chasing to have down. On two occasions last night had kids either swinging off it or climbing up (probably to about 25 feet high in the latter example).

If I catch them up there again then I'm having coppers over. Mislike having to resort to something I don't trust but chances are one of these little twats will Darwin themselves otherwise.

Man ... I hope you have general liability insurance.

The builder / scaffolder does, but it wouldn't be my responsibility if kids were to hurt themselves trespassing up it - I've notified police and their response when they came over was as long as we're on at builder chasing it regularly there's nowt else we can do as the homeowners.

I know of two instances where scaffold left up and accessible was used for break in smash n grab.

That's another worry. We got woken up at 1:15am by kids banging on it, went outside and they'd gone but they'd been beating on the scaffold with a sheared off trolley handle. Had to get on phone to police twice in three days over this shit and I'm getting likely to smack these dickheads with the business end of my shovel at this rate.

I've seen a case where kids stole a car, crashed it, and their parents sued to the mechanic shop that'd left the keys in the car for negligence. If it's your house this scaffolding is up on I would not be surprised if whoever hurts themselves on it tries to sue you. After all, idiocy has no upper bounds.

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#27942 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 July 2021 - 09:01 AM

View PostPuck, on 16 July 2021 - 10:04 PM, said:

Watching the aftermath (and some of the still ongoing) flooding nearby... My gosh... We were lucky af, the rains went right over our little valley, and the neighbouring towns were swimming and without electricity yesterday but the water's mostly gone back down to the river courses now, overall (though still high). It's armaggedon just a bit further west and south, with dams either on the edge of breaking or actually cracking.

Oh man I've been watching the news about this, glad you're ok!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27943 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 July 2021 - 11:21 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 17 July 2021 - 07:18 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 July 2021 - 07:11 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 16 July 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 16 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 16 July 2021 - 07:17 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 15 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Dickhead kids.

Still got a scaffold up side of the house we're chasing to have down. On two occasions last night had kids either swinging off it or climbing up (probably to about 25 feet high in the latter example).

If I catch them up there again then I'm having coppers over. Mislike having to resort to something I don't trust but chances are one of these little twats will Darwin themselves otherwise.

Man ... I hope you have general liability insurance.

The builder / scaffolder does, but it wouldn't be my responsibility if kids were to hurt themselves trespassing up it - I've notified police and their response when they came over was as long as we're on at builder chasing it regularly there's nowt else we can do as the homeowners.

I know of two instances where scaffold left up and accessible was used for break in smash n grab.

That's another worry. We got woken up at 1:15am by kids banging on it, went outside and they'd gone but they'd been beating on the scaffold with a sheared off trolley handle. Had to get on phone to police twice in three days over this shit and I'm getting likely to smack these dickheads with the business end of my shovel at this rate.

I've seen a case where kids stole a car, crashed it, and their parents sued to the mechanic shop that'd left the keys in the car for negligence. If it's your house this scaffolding is up on I would not be surprised if whoever hurts themselves on it tries to sue you. After all, idiocy has no upper bounds.

There's no tort if my spade snaps their neck...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27944 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 July 2021 - 09:01 AM, said:

Watching the aftermath (and some of the still ongoing) flooding nearby... My gosh... We were lucky af, the rains went right over our little valley, and the neighbouring towns were swimming and without electricity yesterday but the water's mostly gone back down to the river courses now, overall (though still high). It's armaggedon just a bit further west and south, with dams either on the edge of breaking or actually cracking.

Yes it's been all over the news here too. Amazing, awful scenes. Looks like the landscape has been seriously changed in some places, lots of buildimgs lost.
Glad you are OK Puck.

Also seen video of wildfires in the western USA. After the heatwaves and drought I'm not surprised.
I hope it doesn't get as bad as a few years ago. I also hope the only good thing about the drought is less fuel to burn.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27945 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:14 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 17 July 2021 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 July 2021 - 09:01 AM, said:

Yes it's been all over the news here too. Amazing, awful scenes. Looks like the landscape has been seriously changed in some places, lots of buildimgs lost.
Glad you are OK Puck.

Also seen video of wildfires in the western USA. After the heatwaves and drought I'm not surprised.
I hope it doesn't get as bad as a few years ago. I also hope the only good thing about the drought is less fuel to burn.

From a few weeks ago:

'"Lytton is gone": wildfire tears through village after record-breaking heat

Officials had little time to issue evacuation orders while dry conditions make suppressing wildfires in Canada impossible

After three days of unrelenting heat, the people in the British Columbia village of Lytton were hoping for a modest respite.
Temperatures which had shattered longstanding national records – at one point reaching a blistering 49.6C (121.28F) – eased slightly on Wednesday, raising hopes that the worst was over.

The fire was in the town and consuming buildings so quickly that residents weren't given advance notice to evacuate. [...]

Residents saw the thick black smoke filling the valley, grabbed what they could, and escaped. Within hours, most of the buildings had been consumed by flames.'
https://www.theguard...columbia-canada

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 July 2021 - 02:15 PM

#27946 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

View Postamphibian, on 14 July 2021 - 10:02 PM, said:

This is my favorite vegetarian meal by a wide stretch and it's easy to cook too. https://cooking.nyti...vocado-and-lime

Swiss chard shakshuka with no tomatoes and plenty of egg + cheese.

Making me register and login to see the recipe?

Can you copy and paste it out? Wife keen to try

#27947 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 18 July 2021 - 12:20 AM

Youngest flooded the toilet after a poo and decided to let me find it on my own.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27948 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:39 PM

Was pretty fond of this tattoo on my calf:

Posted Image

... in part because it reminds me of a Zen Buddhist ensō crossed with a Daoist ink painting dragon (Zhuangzi dreamed he was a...).

Wasn't sure how many people would consider this cultural misappropriation, or what to say to the small minority who might demand an explanation of why it isn't. So after spending a while reading about the significance of tattoos in Japanese, Chinese, East Asian, and Asian-American cultures, and contemplating the arguments against it, I decided I should do more to research the cultural significance of it, and discovered... it's a How to Train Your Dragon tattoo:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had been perplexed as to why the name of the tattoo was 'Fury'. It's a 'Night Fury' dragon. Despite being a series of children's books / movies, the description isn't so bad: 'The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. Never engage this dragon. Your only chance: Hide and pray it does not find you.'

... thankfully it's just a temporary tattoo. It (or at least the large) also comes with a separate temporary tattoo of a human figure upside-down, which I assumed symbolized the death of the self or of humanity or something, but is probably a character from How to Train Your Dragon:

Posted Image

I might substitute a cat....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 July 2021 - 08:56 PM

#27949 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:00 PM

Has there ever been a study that examines the use of loud cursing when you injure yourself (and whether it is effective or not)?

Asking because this morning I clipped my pinky toe perfectly on the edge of one of the dining chairs in the kitchen. I yelled so many curse words... so many, and it made me feel better. I think the pain would have been worse if I would have just clammed up and not had that outburst. So, is there anything to that?

#27950 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:10 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 18 July 2021 - 12:20 AM, said:

Youngest flooded the toilet after a poo and decided to let me find it on my own.

Experiential learning... it's fun for parents too!

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 July 2021 - 08:39 PM, said:

Was pretty fond of this tattoo on my calf:.... it's a How to Train Your Dragon tattoo:

I had been perplexed as to why the name of the tattoo was 'Fury'. It's a 'Night Fury' dragon. Despite being a series of children's books / movies, the description isn't so bad: 'The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. Never engage this dragon. Your only chance: Hide and pray it does not find you.'

... thankfully it's just a temporary tattoo. It (or at least the large) also comes with a separate temporary tattoo of a human figure upside-down, which I assumed symbolized the death of the self or of humanity or something, but is probably a character from How to Train Your Dragon:

Posted Image

Yep...

HTTYD 2, 3, tv spoiler...

Spoiler

ame='Briar King' timestamp='1626914641' post='1439721'][/size]
Ghosting piece of dogshit contractors.

Just had this happen too.
His loss, every contractor i've been happy with has ended up doing the same/similar work for at least three of my neighbors.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27951 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:45 PM

Dang, time sure does fly, we are on the back half of Summer - I saw "Back to School" commercials last evening.

#27952 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:05 PM

When a book with 800 pages has almost halve of the pages missing from in between page 600 and 650. Contacted the bookstore where I bought it during our vacation back in June and a local partner of them has ordered a new copy for me. This could take a halve or a whole week though so I had to put the book away.

Picked up the God is not willing, but it isn't getting me yet :/

This post has been edited by Dutch: 22 July 2021 - 09:06 PM

Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#27953 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:17 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 July 2021 - 03:36 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 14 July 2021 - 10:02 PM, said:

This is my favorite vegetarian meal by a wide stretch and it's easy to cook too. https://cooking.nyti...vocado-and-lime

Swiss chard shakshuka with no tomatoes and plenty of egg + cheese.

Making me register and login to see the recipe?

Can you copy and paste it out? Wife keen to try

INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 large bunch/1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard, stems and leaves separated and chopped (about 9 cups)
½ teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
⅓ cup half-and-half or heavy cream
8 large eggs
¼ teaspoon black pepper, plus more as needed
3 ounces cotija cheese or queso fresco, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
1 avocado, sliced, for serving
1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced, for serving
Chopped cilantro, for serving
Smoked hot sauce, for serving
Corn tortillas, toasted, for serving
1 lime, cut into wedges, for serving

Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until softening, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 5 minutes more.

Raise the heat to medium-high, add the chard stems, and cook to release some liquid, 5 minutes. Add the chard leaves, in batches, adding more as they wilt, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until completely wilted, 3 to 5 minutes more. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, pour in the half-and-half and stir loosely together.

Make eight small hollows in the cooked chard with the back of a spoon. Gently crack an egg into each hollow. Cover with a lid or foil and cook on medium-low until the eggs are just set, but still soft, about 7 to 9 minutes. Remove the lid, sprinkle with salt, pepper, cotija, avocado, jalapeño and cilantro. Serve with smoked hot sauce, toasted tortillas and lime wedges.

Tip

Some cast-iron skillets come with a matching lid, which is useful for making the skillet operate a bit like a mini stove-top oven, cooking evenly and basting the food with flavor and steam. If you don’t have one, use a lid from another pan, or two layers of thick foil, folded at the center and large enough to cover your pan.

(This is amphibian talking now - the exact cheese isn't that critical, the salty flavor of it helps with the tacos made from it, so you can modify with any dairy and a bitta salt)
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27954 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:34 PM

Sweet, cheers amph!

#27955 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:11 PM

'Coast-to-coast heat dome to deliver sweltering weather next week

Early estimates indicate that most of the contiguous United States will see highs running 10 to 15 degrees above average. When combined with climbing humidity, it’ll feel like it’s well into the triple digits for millions. The pattern could also spark severe thunderstorms, perhaps packing strong winds, that could roll through the northern Great Lakes and New England during late July and August.'

https://www.washingt...-wave-lower-48/

Just ordered a cooling necklace/scarf ('nano-ice' supposedly) and decided to try putting some cooling gel packs in my backpack (along with the bulletproof plate...). NASA tech parasol should help when the sun's out. (... but even if that works... there goes my back?)

#27956 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:01 PM

I have just purchased a storage trolley on wheels for my kids arts and craft materials and I'm so pleased with my organisational skills. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can do some sorting. I ordered lots of extra inserts to go into it for even more thorough organising. Is this sensible adult rock bottom? It's Friday night for christ sake.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27957 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:01 PM

Heck yeah. Thanks Amph, gonna try it this weekend.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27958 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:20 AM

Needing to pick up some things took me outside my normal route this evening, which had me stop into a Kum & Go for petrol, and hooboy was this one a magnet for the dregs and riff-raff. I guess its location right next to the interstate makes it fertile weirdo stomping ground - drifters passing through, those looking for a handout trying to appeal to that family on vacation, what have you. Anyway, I try not to be judgey and am all about the live and let live, you do you philosophy. But damn, some folks seem like they just aren't aware of, umm, their persons, I guess is a nice way to put it. Would I be a big meanie if I supported a law that outlawed sandles/flip flops on people with ugly feet?

#27959 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:51 PM

After a fight/come-to-Jesus conversation with my wife, she goes out for a drive while I wash dishes and get the kids ready for bed, texts me at 2:30 am to tell me she is safe but drunk and sad and will be home later, and in the morning I help get her girls ready to be picked up by their father while she still is not home. And she says she feels like she is treated like the 5th child of the family...
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27960 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:14 PM

Who did she get drunk with?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users