Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Music for Fantasy series?

#1 User is offline   Anomander Rake 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:14 PM

I was wondering what other people thought to this idea.

That for the major epic series, e.g like A Song of Ice and Fire and A Tale of the Malazan etc, for them to create a Cd with music created for specific scenes.

Example: While reading this battle or scene of the Chain of Dogs, play track 7. Then you put Cd into cd drive, play track 7, and read that scene. Having sorrowful background music while reading a scene that is filled with sorrow etc etc.

1. Do you think this would enhance the reading experience?

2. What are your opinions on this idea?

P.S. I think it would be cool if people like Hans Zimmer (who did music to Gladiator and Blackhawk Down) did music for ASOIAF and esp the Deadhouse Chains ending scenes.

-----------------------------
Posted Image Hood's Breath

#2 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

nice idea. actually I do recognize certain scenes while listening to a piece I was listening to while reading. and vice versa.

of course, any battle sequences.... heavy, fast, frantic metal ;)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:16 AM

I like it! I would agree with Gothos on having power metal or some such thing on for battle scenes. Dragonforce for example... their lyrics are even about dragons, warriors and battles etc! The only problem I see is that there are so many differing music opinions, so that if a piece of music would work really well in a particular part for someone may ruin it for someone else...
Though Hans Zimmer could probably work his magic somehow. ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:33 AM

Or we could petition Rhapsody;) If you haven't heard of them, check out their first album Legendry Tales I'm sure it'll appeal to the Fantasy Geek in you all:D They pretty much write fantasy in musical form, real interesting imho

And agreed on getting Hans Zimmer to do work on the Chain of Dogs film. He is my fav composer and the reason I purchased the Batman Begins soundtrack even before watching the movie or having heard a single track, lol. I found myself slapping myself for clicking on the Soundtrack link cause it meant another 20bucks out of my ever decreasing bank balance.

But what Rake is suggesting would be quite the undertaking. Any composer who did something like that would earn a place high atop my list.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#5 Guest_Kramer_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:12 AM

Since I listen to many books on my iPod from audible.com I wish they would use music.

I have had that idea for books too. Since it seems others feel the same way it seems likey a book publisher and music publisher will figure this horizontal integration out.

I hope someone figures this out soon...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users