Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

True Blood

#1 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

Anyone else watching this new show from Six Feet Under creator Alan Ball?

I watched the first few eps today and am definitely intrigued. It's slightly new ground to be treading in forms of Adult tv. Sure we have the buffys and the Angels, but I think this show nails it (haha).

Plus its nice to see an Australian actor in something, even if he is a sex craved retard.

#2 User is offline   Osric 

• Captain
  • Interests:Books, Games, Programming, Beer, Women, Movies

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

That sounds pretty cool, I might see if I can watch it online (since my tv is broken and we get everything 20 years after release here in holland anyway).
Thanks for the tip.

This post has been edited by Osric: 09 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

Wise words are like arrows flung at your forehead. What do you do? Why, you duck of course.
-Bult

#3 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

I have to watch it, because my newest celebrity crush is on it: Alex Skargård. ;) Kinda enjoy the story too though.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#4 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

View PostGem Windcaster, on Oct 9 2008, 08:57 PM, said:

I have to watch it, because my newest celebrity crush is on it: Alex Skargård. ;) Kinda enjoy the story too though.

I hate to admit to having a man crush that isn't Ewan, But yes, me also.

Although his long blond hair looks kinda stupid compared to the manly buzz cut he had in Generation Kill ;)

#5 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

I'm watching it, but I can't decide if I like it. The obvious parallels to real life are so...obvious. Throwing in a mind-reading character seems a bit contrived. The setting builds on all of the stereotypes we have of the south.

The murder mystery element is kind of fun. I'm thinking it's the bar owner, although I wonder if that was just because he was rolling around in the dead waitresses bed and Sookie said something about not knowing anything about his background. Red herrings?

So far the acting is really good, and virtually all the characters are interesting. Each one, however, is a type, but the series is new and it takes time to round out characters.

#6 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

View PostTrouble, on Oct 9 2008, 02:31 PM, said:

Although his long blond hair looks kinda stupid compared to the manly buzz cut he had in Generation Kill ;)

Oh yes, he looked good. And that smile - sheesh my heart melted like a stone in a volcano. ;) I kinda like the way he looks in true blood also though - he's got this glowing eyes sexy vampire viking king thing going.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#7 User is offline   murphy72 

• Captain

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:30 AM

True Blood is based on the series of books by Charlaine Harris. They're light fluffy reading, but a lot of fun.

#8 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

View PostBriar King, on Oct 9 2008, 03:34 PM, said:

lol flea!

I am interested in your sterotypes of the South. Please enlighten me on what you are refering to so I can respond back about how accurate it is. Should be funny for me and my wife.

It is not my stereotype--it's just that a very large percentage of the characters are white trash.

I really like the gay cook, btw. He was awesome in the last episode.

#9 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:01 AM

I'd maybe put some spoiler tags/warnings on that post Briar :lol:.

I was surprised in that too. I can't wait for the mystery to be solved!

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

Thread-necromancy performed, as i have just watched the first five eps of this show.

Preliminary point, i really, REALLY dislike Charlaine Harris' writing. And on top of that, the vast majority of vampire shows that come and go on TV (see MOONLIGHT, elements of DRESDEN FILES) are just drek, so my expectations were LOW.

First ep didn't help much - too much 'look at the stoopid rednecks', not enough crazy vampire. It picked up after that and i'm in now to watch the rest of S1. Decent acting, neat story, nothing terribly novel about the vamps generally but at least they don't sparkle or go to high school. And while the sexing in all the secondary stories is fairly gratuitous, it's pretty funny. At times the supporting cast is really carrying this show compared to Sookie and Bill, whose chemistry comes and goes. Jason is hysterical, Tara's dialogue is brilliant, Lafayette may be one of the best gay characters on genre tv.

Apparently the S1 DVD sales set all kinds of records. HBO is happynet for this show. May just be piggybacking on the TWILIGHT vamp buzz but anyone coming in off the sparkly vamps is in for a bit of a shock. Enuf will stick to keep it profitable tho, i suspect.

- Abyss, ...would pay tall dollars to watch an hour of TWILIGHT fans' faces as they watch the first 2-3 TRUE BLOOD eps.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:05 AM

View PostGem Windcaster, on Oct 9 2008, 08:52 AM, said:

View PostTrouble, on Oct 9 2008, 02:31 PM, said:

Although his long blond hair looks kinda stupid compared to the manly buzz cut he had in Generation Kill :killingme:

Oh yes, he looked good. And that smile - sheesh my heart melted like a stone in a volcano. :) I kinda like the way he looks in true blood also though - he's got this glowing eyes sexy vampire viking king thing going.

It's unfair to talk like this. It makes all the blokes on here look back. And we're all substandard as it is, so just, just stop Gem :)
I still heart Goodkind.

#12 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

I'm really enjoying season 2 so far. The show is a lot of fun. Damn those cliffhangers at the end of every episode though!

My bro's fiancee is reading the series the show is based on, and when I was visiting them a couple weeks back I started thumbing through one of the books to see what the writing style is like...all I can say is "WELL DONE" to HBO for turning such a poorly written (from the sample I read) set of books into such an entertaining and fun show. I know i wouldn't be able to suffer through one of those books no matter the amount of sex, violence and cool ideas in them.

#13 User is offline   bwgan 

• OFFICIAL Keeper of Shiny Things of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

View PostGem Windcaster, on Oct 9 2008, 01:57 PM, said:

I have to watch it, because my newest celebrity crush is on it: Alex Skargård. :D Kinda enjoy the story too though.

Aaaah, I have only half watched it so far...daughter has it on whilst I do other things....hmmm, will have to pay more attention now. :rofl:

View PostAbyss, on Jun 9 2009, 04:51 PM, said:

Thread-necromancy performed, as i have just watched the first five eps of this show.

*snip*

- Abyss, ...would pay tall dollars to watch an hour of TWILIGHT fans' faces as they watch the first 2-3 TRUE BLOOD eps.

How many? Given that I have a captive Twita...I mean a daughter who likes Twilight and is now watching True Blood.... :D :popo:
'Tell me, Tool, what dominates your thoughts?'
The Imass shrugged before replying. 'I think of Mafia, Adjunct.'
'Do all Imass think about Mafia?'
'No. Few think at all.'
'Why is that?'
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her. 'Because, Adjunct, they are sheeple.'

Sometimes I wonder, "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?" ... and then it hits me.

#14 User is offline   The Swordbearer 

• Corporal

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:53 AM

I find it entertaining so far, cool characters an all.
Would like to see some werewolves though they were always my fav to read about and char to play in the FRP game the Masquerade.
And the gratuitous Nudity is def a plus LOL

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users