Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

literary influences

#1 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:25 AM

put this out a couple of different ways but got no reply. so here i am. toll the hounds was a piece of literary genius, the artistic vision that encapsulated darujistan and its constant stream of tiny epiphanies immense. it reminded me of ulysees and joyce's city of words. just wondered if you'd ever read it or did it inforn tth? if not then who does influence your writing?
sitting down here in the campfire light, waiting on the ghost of tom joad.

#2 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

SE is not around on the forums to answer questions, but if they are interesting enough (and there is enough consensus) then someone could potentially find out.

Personally I haven't read the book but I'd be interested to in the future. In what ways did TtH remind you of City of Words?

#3 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:27 PM

View PostDancer, on Oct 7 2008, 11:25 AM, said:

SE is not around on the forums to answer questions, but if they are interesting enough (and there is enough consensus) then someone could potentially find out.

Personally I haven't read the book but I'd be interested to in the future. In what ways did TtH remind you of City of Words?

sorry dancer you've misunderstood me. the books title is ulysees. its based on the odessy and has all the corresponding episodes but its transplanted to dublin in the early nineteen hundreds. it features the wanderings of two different characters and basically we spend a day with them as they wander around the city. we experince all this through their respective streams of conciousness. yes it is crazy. it has a cast of scumbags,hypocrites and deviants, is incredibly difficult to read, (best done while extremely intoxicated) and is supposed to be the greatest novel ever written. here's a simple explanation of the technique ;) http://www.emsah.uq.edu.au/courses/engl203...oyce_schema.htm

it is called the city of words for the way joyce captured dublin and the interconnectedness of its seemingly disperate elements and characters in a way that had never been done before. everything in ulysees celebrates the beauty of the ordinary, through a million tiny epiphanies. i've haven't seen many cities as beautifully framed as darujistan. the weave and flow of the narrative was awsome, every robert altman type vignette adding layer after layer of richness as the ox weaves across the city linking everyone together. very reminiscent of joyce, so i just wondered if not joyce then who does influence him?

#4 User is offline   tony 

• Recruit

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

I'm only a couple of hundred pages in right now, but I was struck by a thought that the writing in TtH reminded me of Dickens.

#5 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

View Posttony, on Oct 8 2008, 06:18 PM, said:

I'm only a couple of hundred pages in right now, but I was struck by a thought that the writing in TtH reminded me of Dickens.

hi tony. good first post. not sure i can discuss it here. maybe you could start a thread in the TTH section about the idea and we can argue there? ps, i despise dickens but you may have a point.

#6 User is offline   tony 

• Recruit

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

View Postlord of tragedy, on Oct 8 2008, 12:33 PM, said:

View Posttony, on Oct 8 2008, 06:18 PM, said:

hi tony. good first post. not sure i can discuss it here. maybe you could start a thread in the TTH section about the idea and we can argue there? ps, i despise dickens but you may have a point.

Well, I'm staying away from that forum until I've finished, but will glad to post my thoughts on the comparison when I'm done.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users