• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Builder of Azaths?

#1 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

Does anyone have speculations as to who the builder of Azaths is? The one Nimander meets and helps after his talk with Gothos? He's refered to as Elder by the spirits and ghosts. He proclaimes that he's lost. Are there any building Elder Gods missing that might fit?
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#2 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

Grizzin Farl? :)

yet another place we'll try sticking him in.
but, tbh, I htink it's more like one of those creatures from the

Spoiler

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

Beru?:)

or maybe Sechul Lath...she's kickin' around somewhere, the hoary bastard.:)

#4 User is offline   Quick~ 

• Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

hah @ Grizzin Farl.

The Azath builder was an interesting part to things I thought, the fact that they weren't entirely organic but shaped by an entity was a bit of nice information.

It could conceivably be any of the old gods/creatures we've heard of but not seen really.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Another question is whether Gothos has a bunch of them sitting around in various pocket warrens or not.

This sequence really suggested Gothos has a more active role in working with/for the Azath than was apparent in previous appearances, where he basically seemed to be a guardian along the lines of Raest, Jhenna and i suppose Moby.

Here, Gothos seemed to be 'in control' if a being who actually manufactured Azath houses - which is even more perplexing given how in GotM (Finnest House in Daru'n) and RG (Refugium House from Kettle and Scabby's finnest) we see Azath houses be 'born' and in neither case did it pop up fully assembled, nor did a big friendly giant guy manufacture it. Plus hey, two Houses sprung from finnests... hmm....

- Abyss, notes the sad lack of hardhats and union contracts....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

Well, if you read carefully, it is suggested that Gothos was within the azath by choice, and froms some stuff , it seems he has control/knowledge about them, the kind ST/Cot want, but dont have. The choice is something Icarium fails to understand, so goes of on his hissy-fit.

The coming from finnests, I reckon, its the fact that they contain so much raw energy to feed on, so the azath gets fairly big, fairly fast.

#7 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

We've almost certainly met Sechul Lath, he was with Kilmandaros in the underwater Azath.

Grizzin Farl on the other hand can lick my chocolate salty balls.

Abyss, maybe once assembled they go into like a holding space or are simply some kind of magical structure that sits beneath the surface and they need to be supplied with power in WU to appear. Just because in the realm where Nimander was they seem to be entirely constructed doesn't mean that is how they would manifest themselves in another plane.
I AM A TWAT

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

Grief;380131 said:

Well, if you read carefully, it is suggested that Gothos was within the azath by choice, and froms some stuff , it seems he has control/knowledge about them, the kind ST/Cot want, but dont have. The choice is something Icarium fails to understand, so goes of on his hissy-fit.

The coming from finnests, I reckon, its the fact that they contain so much raw energy to feed on, so the azath gets fairly big, fairly fast.

It's certainly been suggested Gothos is more than a 'mere' guardian, altho we really have no idea how much control guardians get - by MoI even Raest was conducting tours.

I don't doubt that finnests provide a power source - it's the step/link from
fully built stone house in pocket warren to growing wood house with root defense system in world that is mysterious.

Cougar;380132 said:

Abyss, maybe once assembled they go into like a holding space or are simply some kind of magical structure that sits beneath the surface and they need to be supplied with power in WU to appear. Just because in the realm where Nimander was they seem to be entirely constructed doesn't mean that is how they would manifest themselves in another plane.

And that may be it, but then i wonder was this system in place before Gothos settled in and bought a condo unit in a House, or has he changed it...

- Abyss, ...and also, does he have a realtor's license...

#9 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

Following Abyss' train of tought if you consider local government planning regulations you'd be talking about a hefty fine for erecting an Azath house without planning permission, not to mention rules about local heritage sites and whether it was inkeeping with the tone of the locale. Consider the inconvienience of having to dismantle a node of magic power because you'd decided to pebble-dash the exterior. Then there are a host of health and safety issues with having a garden that traps and imprissons anyone who wanders off the path.

I don't think all Azaths look the same do they. Isn't the deadhouse an actual house rather than a tree that looks like the home of the jockeys in the Simpsons.
I AM A TWAT

#10 User is offline   Denuth 

• Recruit

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

I love how threads can get off topic :) but to continue on with the train of thought, and to attempt to dissapoint a few people, perhaps how azaths are fully developped will be the same as the amount of details that are given in the novels about the warrens and how exactly they work. The author's probably either find that it is not an important enough bit of information worth explaining or choose to leave it up to the reader's imagination.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

I would tend to agree that the truth behind the Azath is likely something we will never fully get, and i'm cool with that (not that it will ever stop us speculating).

One of the most interesting bits in TtH is that, arguably, Gothos LEFT Deadhouse to meet with Nimander and co (altho since the meeting took place in a dead Azath, it's debateable whether he really left).

Another element is that not all Azath houses are the same, clearly: Leth was a tower, Tremolor anchored a chunk of Kurald Emurlahn and had a maze, Deadhouse is on an island, Finnest House grew from a finnest, Refugium exists in a separate warren and a crossroads of gates of some sort...

The structure the Builder creates may only be a figurative creation seen as a 'House'.

- Abyss, fan of House music...

#12 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

IIRC, the Azath in the Refugium isn't really a new one. The one from MT somehow moved into Kettle's body, and it was just the power from the Finnest that allowed it to re-establish itself in RG.

That doesn't answer any questions about this builder guy, though.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

I took it that the one in MT died. Kettle was a seed for a new one, not the old one relocating.

But if they can seed, do they even need the Builders?

Does the seed trigger the Builder's House to move?

Can you get wood blinds to match? What about granite counters in the kitchen?

- Abyss, bets there's nowhere to plug in the woodsaw...

#14 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

To All: They're Azath. They're probably the chief mystery in SE's little madness we so enjoy. Unfathomable ATM.

Let's continue to speculate wildly, perhaps we'll hit a grain of truth and then careen past it in favor of a theory that involves Gothos teabagging the builder to charge them with their powers. Sounds good to me!
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#15 User is offline   q21 

• Condemned of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Reading, Steven Erikson (duh...), Arsenal, Football, Warhammer 40K, Drums

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

I reckon that when the builders make Azaths in their little pocket warrens they effectively make the Genetic code for the house. Deciding what it should look like look like when its fully grown. That code then needs a power source in Wu in order to grow, something like a finnest. Also, regardless of what material the Builder makes the original code for the house from the Azath ends up using whatever is readily available to grow and as such takes on some characteristics of its surroundings.
Flying Monkeys definitely win.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Adjutant Stormy;380232 said:

....in favor of a theory that involves Gothos teabagging the builder to charge them with their powers. Sounds good to me!

Clearly you've been reading Laurell K hamilton a wee bit too much.

- Abyss, and also, 'ew'.

#17 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

Does anyone have speculations as to who the builder of Azaths is? The one Nimander meets and helps after his talk with Gothos? He's refered to as Elder by the spirits and ghosts. He proclaimes that he's lost. Are there any building Elder Gods missing that might fit?
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#18 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

Grizzin Farl? :D

yet another place we'll try sticking him in.
but, tbh, I htink it's more like one of those creatures from the

Spoiler

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#19 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

Beru?:D

or maybe Sechul Lath...she's kickin' around somewhere, the hoary bastard.:D

#20 User is offline   Quick~ 

• Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

hah @ Grizzin Farl.

The Azath builder was an interesting part to things I thought, the fact that they weren't entirely organic but shaped by an entity was a bit of nice information.

It could conceivably be any of the old gods/creatures we've heard of but not seen really.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users