Malazan Empire: Squash - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Squash

Poll: What do you think of Squash? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Squash?

1. Brillant game, possibly my favourite (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Merely Good (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. It's okay to play now and again (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. It's terrible (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I've never played. (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

Do any of you play Squash? What is your opinion of it?

I started playing Squash again pretty recently (two months ago). I've playing a lot since then and I've come to appreciate how complex, strategic and fun the game is. It's probably my favourite sport now and I'm pleasantly surprised. Is anyone else (semi) addicted to Squash?!

I'm actually playing tonight, and I hope I boost my winning record to 17-0 EDIT: :thumbsup:

LATER EDIT: The score was 66-5, I need to find some experienced players soon.

This post has been edited by Dancer: 30 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

#2 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

Squash is a terrible sport. Though my opinion may be a result of a bad experience.

I made the mistake of playing a game of squash against a friend of mine years ago and it turned me off the sport for good. I used to be really quick around the court, and like to think i have good hand eye co-ordination (I'm decent at hurling and badminton for example). But my buddy just happens to be brilliant at the Irish sport of Handball (not to be confused with Olympic handball). Now in case you've never seen it, Irish handball is basically a game of squash without the racquet. Same size court. Same ball. Only your bare hand is used to strike the ball!!! Now he neglected to mention that he was pretty much a national calibre Handball player (I knew he was a brilliant hurler), and as such his court awareness and skill level was way beyond me.

You couldn't really call it a game of squash considering how badly he was able to beat me. I honestly think he could have let me use the racquet while using only his hand and still hammered me. I didn't much enjoy the experience to be honest. I did get my revenge on him back on the soccer pitch though.

I tried playing squash again a while later but i could never really get into it. The temptation to shoulder my opponent out of the way running across the court was really strong. I'll stick to hurling.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#3 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

I've been feeling sorry for everyone I've been playing recently. It's really one of those games that you need people of equal ability as you'll be hammered if you're somewhat worst. I've not had a close game yet, and I end up feeling bad about it.

You should have convinced said friend that you should have had the racquet, you probably would have won which would be why he'd have trouble giving you that advantage. I'm attempting to find some county standard players.

#4 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

View PostDancer, on Oct 1 2008, 11:58 AM, said:

I've been feeling sorry for everyone I've been playing recently. It's really one of those games that you need people of equal ability as you'll be hammered if you're somewhat worst. I've not had a close game yet, and I end up feeling bad about it.

You should have convinced said friend that you should have had the racquet, you probably would have won which would be why he'd have trouble giving you that advantage. I'm attempting to find some county standard players.

I'm a big fan of squash, though I was turned off for a while by an incident in which I accidentally knocked someone's teeth out - went for a backhand and the racquet flew out of my hand and hit him full in the face on the other side of the court.

But yeah, it's a great strategic game - I just have a habit of not keeping the pressure on when I'm ahead in a rally, which is annoying. Still, I love the type of exercise you get from it - short distances to cover but lots of running, which suits me perfectly. Going to try and play some more this year, I've got a friend who used to be better than me but is now about my level, so we have some fun matches :).

It's not my favourite sport to play (Ultimate Frisbee all the way!), but it's a close second.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#5 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

You should play against my best friend assuming your Colleges are close to eachother. He's looking to play more but might need a bit of encouragement, it would be good if he could improve to give me a good old game :lol: He goes to Pembroke.

#6 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Haha, well Pembroke is close (nowhere is far away except Girton :lol:)...I imagine if I went up to him and said "Hi I'm friends with Dancer, want to play squash?" He would look at me kind of strangely though.

I'm on a ladder, so I plan to play a bit on that this term. And possibly play for one of the college teams.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#7 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I thought I replied to this topic.

It would be funny and he wouldn't be surprised. It would actually be a good start. Good luck with the Squash playing, let me know how you get on ;) and if you do feel like an introduction let me know.

#8 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

Squash is an amazing sport and I wish i played it more, but my new job kills my early evenings...Bah!

I'm also doubly angry that I never picked it up when I was younger, damned misspent youth.
souls are for wimps

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users