• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#14121 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 September 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

I watch F1 when I can, will I ever be seeing you in the pits or are you not on the traveling team?

No I'm not with the race team.
I'm where the magic happens....
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#14122 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

View PostSolidsnape, on 12 September 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

I watch F1 when I can, will I ever be seeing you in the pits or are you not on the traveling team?

So... You're one of the hot girls that hands the winners an oversized champagne at the end?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#14123 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 September 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostSolidsnape, on 12 September 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

So... You're one of the hot girls that hands the winners an oversized champagne at the end?

I'm the one that makes the hot girls.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Solidsnape: 12 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#14124 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

Two years ago they found the HMS Erebus in Canada in the heart of the Northwest Passage...and they have just found the HMS terror now as well! Amazing!

https://www.thestar....tion-found.html
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#14125 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Two years ago they found the HMS Erebus in Canada in the heart of the Northwest Passage...and they have just found the HMS terror now as well! Amazing!

That is very very cool.

Taking this opportunity to mention that Dan Simmons has an immensely enjoyable book on Franklin's voyage called The Terror

#14126 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostAndorion, on 13 September 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

That is very very cool.

Taking this opportunity to mention that Dan Simmons has an immensely enjoyable book on Franklin's voyage called The Terror

If by "immensely enjoyable" you mean creepy and nightmare inducing, I agree.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#14127 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 13 September 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

That is very very cool.

Oh yeah it's one of the few books to genuinely scare me. I rate it very highly because of that.

#14128 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

View PostAndorion, on 13 September 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

That is very very cool.

Oh yeah it's one of the few books to genuinely scare me. I rate it very highly because of that.

To be honest, even the textbook story of the expedition is nightmare inducing....even without crazy beasts hunting everyone down in the darkened arctic weather.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#14129 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 13 September 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

That is very very cool.

To be honest, even the textbook story of the expedition is nightmare inducing....even without crazy beasts hunting everyone down in the darkened arctic weather.

I find the history of the hunt for the North west passage to be one of the most frustrating and yet intriguing reading topics. At least the hunt for the North East passage yielded the overseas trade route to Russia. The NW passage was just a string of failures. They never correctly estimated the northern extent of Canada. There were weird speculation bubbles about gold deposits in Baffin Bay (fake) Lots of parties thought the northern Canadian bays and inlets to be the Passage and ended up getting stuck. Also the weird beliefs people had - I seem to recall reading that at one point it was widely believed that if you could get through the ice, the North Pole itself was a balmy tropical paradise of open water and islands.

#14130 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostAndorion, on 13 September 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

I find the history of the hunt for the North west passage to be one of the most frustrating and yet intriguing reading topics. At least the hunt for the North East passage yielded the overseas trade route to Russia. The NW passage was just a string of failures. They never correctly estimated the northern extent of Canada. There were weird speculation bubbles about gold deposits in Baffin Bay (fake) Lots of parties thought the northern Canadian bays and inlets to be the Passage and ended up getting stuck. Also the weird beliefs people had - I seem to recall reading that at one point it was widely believed that if you could get through the ice, the North Pole itself was a balmy tropical paradise of open water and islands.

Indeed, and when you realize that they were on the right path initially to get through...if only they had not turned into the Victoria Strait and kept going more or less straight west, they might have feasibly have made it...or at the very least mapped the passage through.

#14131 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

Indeed, and when you realize that they were on the right path initially to get through...if only they had not turned into the Victoria Strait and kept going more or less straight west, they might have feasibly have made it...or at the very least mapped the passage through.

If a few of the first ones had persisted on the right track then sheer cumulative effort would have seen them through. Of course with the fall of Spain (the supremacy of Spain in the South Atlantic had been one of the main incentives to hunt for the passage) and the increasing power of the Royal Navy the passage as a viable trade route concept became increasingly obsolete

#14132 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

View PostAndorion, on 13 September 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

If a few of the first ones had persisted on the right track then sheer cumulative effort would have seen them through. Of course with the fall of Spain (the supremacy of Spain in the South Atlantic had been one of the main incentives to hunt for the passage) and the increasing power of the Royal Navy the passage as a viable trade route concept became increasingly obsolete

Very true. All fascinating for us studying it after the fact nonetheless!

#14133 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Uhh I have a hard time respecting any of these people. I found the NW Passage on my first try even as a kid. Hey 'geniuses', you ever try looking at a satellite map of the continent?!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14134 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostHigh Geek of Crawfish, on 14 September 2016 - 03:24 AM, said:

Oh man I love visiting 17th Shard these past few mths just to see how butt hurt these kids get. It's so funny to get neg reped sometimes.

Now what happened? I usually don't venture out of the reading thread

#14135 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:03 AM

View PostHigh Geek of Crawfish, on 14 September 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

Freak outs in the relationship thread by high school students. Fucking kids bugging out like kids do.

Huh, saw that just now. A bit hyper.

I spend some time lurking in Westeros. They are the masters of taking one topic and dragging it out forever

#14136 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:20 AM

View PostHigh Geek of Crawfish, on 14 September 2016 - 04:17 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 14 September 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

View PostHigh Geek of Crawfish, on 14 September 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

Freak outs in the relationship thread by high school students. Fucking kids bugging out like kids do.

Huh, saw that just now. A bit hyper.

I spend some time lurking in Westeros. They are the masters of taking one topic and dragging it out forever

It got so dumb they started negging every post this one guy makes just to do a gang up so I said something about how silly it was knowing I'd get some to and it worked. Then I taunted afterward with a reply that I knew would get another but someone up voted me not to long afterward. It's amusing really. Kids.

Neg repping in a forum is just dumb

#14137 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

Cooking for the missus
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#14138 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

Mr PigDog and Baby PigDog have gone away for the weekend. Sweet mother of god I'm alone!!!!!! There was a period of decompression that lasted about 3 hours. The first 15minutes was weeping, then there was about 45minutes of aimlessly wandering around the house, then I sat like a zombie and watched shit tv for 2 hours and then.... Oh then! I'm alive! I'm still a real person!! I'm cooking real food, I'm listening to loud music. There will be wine, oh yes there will be wine. Then I don't know! I can do anything I want.... I might put up some shelves tomorrow.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#14139 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:47 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 16 September 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

Mr PigDog and Baby PigDog have gone away for the weekend. Sweet mother of god I'm alone!!!!!! There was a period of decompression that lasted about 3 hours. The first 15minutes was weeping, then there was about 45minutes of aimlessly wandering around the house, then I sat like a zombie and watched shit tv for 2 hours and then.... Oh then! I'm alive! I'm still a real person!! I'm cooking real food, I'm listening to loud music. There will be wine, oh yes there will be wine. Then I don't know! I can do anything I want.... I might put up some shelves tomorrow.

Party at Mez's house!

#14140 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:23 PM

Yeah! Party for one! Anyone wants or needs me, I am NOT available ;)
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 966 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users