• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Max Payne

#21 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:41 AM

Saw an ad for this the other day. Looked dreadful.

#22 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:18 AM

While I agree that this movie looks like its destined to be another dismal video-game-to-movie adaptation, I don't think the plotline discrepancies are a relevant gripe. Why should the movie simply rehash a story that anyone who's ever played the game already knows from beginning to end?

It's gotta be a new story. That's the only way one of these things works, imo. It's not like a book, where readers are getting to see a visual depiction of the events for the first time...

Granted, Max Payne was just comic panels, but still.

#23 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

Slumgullion Spitteler, on Oct 7 2008, 03:18 AM, said:

While I agree that this movie looks like its destined to be another dismal video-game-to-movie adaptation, I don't think the plotline discrepancies are a relevant gripe. Why should the movie simply rehash a story that anyone who's ever played the game already knows from beginning to end?

It's gotta be a new story. That's the only way one of these things works, imo. It's not like a book, where readers are getting to see a visual depiction of the events for the first time...

Granted, Max Payne was just comic panels, but still.

It would seem that it is the same story.
It even has the ending on the roof with all the police s.w.a.t dudes....wonder if they will have the helicopter too :D
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#24 User is offline   Osric 

• Captain
  • Interests:Books, Games, Programming, Beer, Women, Movies

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

I don't want the same story, but I don't want a totally new story set in a totally different world with the only thing it has in common with the game is the names and the dark setting.

It could be an awesome movie, but it looks like it's just another way for someone to milk money out of a known product, not really caring how it'll turn out or wether it does the game justice. As long as people make a lot of money with it.
Wise words are like arrows flung at your forehead. What do you do? Why, you duck of course.
-Bult

#25 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

maybe a max payne prequel

the ORIGINS OF MAX PAYNE

that would be so original, I can't believe nobody's ever done it

it could be 90 minutes of max payne hanging out with his family until they get killed...then 2 or 3 CGI shooting sequences and then the movie ends...but with a teaser at the end of the credits showing a hint of the next max payne movie: THE ORIGIN OF MAX PAYNE'S MOM

oh man that would be awesome.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 07 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#26 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:50 AM

oh good grief. i've seen other video games adaptations and always hoped that somebody would do justice to nay one of the games, but am forver disappointed. hitman was a shambles, doom just plain sucked...

sigh

this is going to end in tears. i just know it.
Question:

Does being the only sane person in the world make you insane?

If a tree falls in the woods and a deaf person saw it, does it make a sound?

#27 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Hahahaha

Wait till i tell you about the "prince of persia" movie.

Jake Gyllenhal in the freaken lead role...hahaha...
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#28 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

Just came across review number one of max payne... its official, its utter shit.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#29 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

dktorode, on Oct 14 2008, 08:34 AM, said:

Just came across review number one of max payne... its official, its utter shit.

Oh well, the dream dies. Bloody annoying, as if any game had a story that should make a great film it's Max Payne.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#30 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

Review

Sonofabitch! And I've got a very promising date to this on Friday! Well, maybe she'll like it.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#31 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

dismal review....oh well. Not unexpected anyway

oh well, maybe they'll finally realize that video game movies are dumb

Imagine if they tried to make a movie out of WoW.

There would be a nerd rebellion. I think we'd actually see violence.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#32 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

Sparkimus, on Oct 15 2008, 01:07 AM, said:

Review

Sonofabitch! And I've got a very promising date to this on Friday! Well, maybe she'll like it.

That review paints a much better picture than the first one i read...dang...wheres that link :w00t:
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#33 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

yeah, i remember reading somewhere that there was going to be a film based on the world of warcraft, or based in world of warcrat, or something to do with world of warcraft. nevertheless, there will be blood in the streets before the day is out.
Question:

Does being the only sane person in the world make you insane?

If a tree falls in the woods and a deaf person saw it, does it make a sound?

#34 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

*********SPOILERS***********
***SPOILERS HERE! SPOILERS!***
**IF YOU DIDN'T SEE THE MOVIE**
***THERE ARE SPOILERS HERE***
*********SPOILERS***********

Just watched it, and I am of course a little dissapointed. Not that my expectations were raised through the roof, but there's always hope. The "Max Payne is a broken man living for nothing but vengeance" bit wasn't very well done, and the entire plot was kind of... well, buildt on that. So all that was left were a few easter eggs from the game, and three or four shootouts that I rather enjoyed. I didn't think I would say this before I saw it, but that movie needs some more gunfights. Maybe an extra hour to flesh out the story as well. I was hoping to see Max Payne carve his way through the criminal underworld working his way to the top where he would take down mafiosos and corporate bigshot drugdealers and whatnot. Instead it turned out to be some half ass movie that didn't live up to its potential. Anyway, it sort of felt like I was watching half a movie. Like they couldn't fit a helicopter crash into their budget, so instead they wired up some C4 and blew out some windows.

I will say this though: The movie was sold out when I went to see it, and I'm pretty sure they're going to make a lot of money on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if Max Payne 2 comes along and ties up some of the loose ends. The old hag wasn't touched, Mona didn't die, there weren't enough shootouts in this movie so we need to make another one...

:p

EDIT: After reading some comments on IMDB, I get the impression that the movie was "holding back" on all the good stuff just to make sure it got a PG13 rating. Not entirely sure how that works, but it pisses me off, cause some parts of the movie were actually well done. Curse you Hollywood :p

This post has been edited by Urb: 31 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#35 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

Double post!

It would seem the director's cut might still salvage some of the movie. I haven't decided if I like it or not, but I don't hate it. Here's to hope :)
He lowered his head

-some poet on reddit

#36 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

i was worried they'd push too much of the slow motion action sequences the game was so famous for into the movie, but instead we got about one half of one! What the fuck! ...

I was hoping for an action movie with perhaps some plot thrown into it. Instead i got a half arsed plot and a half arsed movie with the most ridiculous heroine to be on screen in quite some time
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#37 User is offline   Aimless 

• First Sword

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

I didn't MIND seeing it, but it wasn't a GOOD movie. And seeing two of the worst actors from the new season of Heroes in it, even if it was only for a little while, ruined much of the film for me.

I did enjoy most of the action sequences though :thumbsup: felt video-gamey.

#38 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

I've seen it again some, and...

MORE SPOILERS!
DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THE MOVIE SPOILED
BEFORE YOU'VE HAD A CHANCE TO SEE IT YOURSELF!
SPOILERS HERE!

First things first; I've made a little list of reasons why I'm pretty sure there will be at least one sequel. Time for some forum-fu list action:

• The movie is actually quite popular. Two weeks, and still going strong in the movie theaters. If Resident Evil could get two sequels, I'm sure this one can bring in some serious cash as well.
  • When Mona goes to see the african mafia dude, she asks him something about the drugs, and he says, "The devil is building his army." She follows with, "Does this devil have a name?" To which he replies, "Many. But the one you're looking for is called Lupino." - So Lupino is just one of the bad guys.
  • Before BB and his muscle chase Max into the lake with a doze of valkyr in his pocket, he talks to Max about the problems he's been having as a full time drug dealing bad guy. He mentions that after killing Michelle, he finally saw how he could solve all his problems himself. And then it was easy to make use of Lupino and the other guys to put valkyr out on the streets. - Again. There are more bad guys for Max to kill some day.
  • The old lady boss of Aesir corporation just drives off in her limo. No conclusion to that part of the story.
  • Mona jumps into the elevator, and is not seen again. Very inconclusive.
  • After Max shoots BB up on the helipad, he gets down on his knees and takes a deap breath while the sun washes over his face. Finally, peace. But then his dead wife tells him, "Not yet Max." And the screen goes black. - This was actually rather nicely done. It could sort of work as a blunt wake up call: "You finally killed him Max, but no relief will you ever find from it." More likely it's just the director's way of saying, "Hold on there, more to come!" Kind of subtle like.

Now, I've decided I do like this movie. Most of the acting is alright. There are easter eggs from the game all over the place. Wallberg did a good job with the "I don't give a fuck about that, I'm looking for something else" attitude. The Sin City-esque style is well done, and the action scenes were really cool.

It all works nicely as entertainment, but it's just not finished. I get the feeling this John Moore director dude was making the first of at least two movies when he made this. Only he couldn't be sure he would get the chance to make a sequel, so he wrapped it up as a semi-stand alone film. He did give me the impression that he actually knew a lot about the games, and I for one wouldn't mind if he made some more film for us to watch.

I'll stop obsessing over this now. At least until the next one comes (crosses fingers) :thumbdown:
He lowered his head

-some poet on reddit

#39 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:35 PM

cerveza_fiesta, on Oct 15 2008, 09:50 AM, said:

Imagine if they tried to make a movie out of WoW.

There would be a nerd rebellion. I think we'd actually see violence.

hahaha i can see the fat kid punching a skinny guy with glasses and yelling FOR THE HORDE!!

This post has been edited by Volkh: 31 October 2008 - 11:38 PM

Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users