Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The malazan encyclopedia needs YOU!

#1 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

The malazan wiki has undergone something of an update, changing address so now it has the right spelling of encyclopedia, and updating the software.

As a result of this software update the encyclopedia is much more secure, and much easier to use off the bat, so I figure it's time to start recruiting in earnest.

Now I know lots of you frequently look at the encyclopedia, but haven't signed up as you don't have the time to add stuff, but I'm not asking for people to put in a sustained effort, just sign up so if you do decide to add something you can, and feel free to edit any little mistakes you find.

The signing up process is pretty easy, go to http://my.pbwiki.com and sign up, and send me an email telling me who you are and what email address you used to sign up. Then I add you and you can edit the pbwiki to your hearts content (Though if you abuse it your access can be quickly and easily removed and your changes reversed).

The new wiki will be much more heavily linked to the new website when we update it to the new version created by fellow_traveller for which he should shortly recieve the K&B anthology.

#2 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

I'm in the early stages of doing chapter summaries for GotM, I suppose I should check if you've got any of them done already...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#3 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

Apologies for not doing more on the Wiki when I promised to. Hopefully I'll be able to add new material soon.

#4 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

Apologies on my part as well. I had some time before school to do some work on it but I didn't hear back from IH until right before the semester started, and now I'm swamped. :D

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#5 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

Yes, I need to contribute more as well, but I've got exams over the next couple of months, so I'm a bit busy myself. :D
After that, it's all spare time for me, so I should be able to help out then. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

Apologies accepted :D

I'm always willing to encourage you all to contribute more, but I'm not a shining example myself, I still try and read everything submitted, but I have less and less time to make changes and add things myself,and in my current period without my malazan books my contributions are necessarily limited, thats why I want as many people as possible to join up so when people find the time they can update, if we have enough people we should be able to get more info up there.

#7 User is offline   megaphage 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Is anyone aware of the Alphascript Publishing release "Malazan Empire" that has popped up for sale? As I understand it Alphascript print, bind and sell Wikipedia articles under the guise of research material. I came across it on Amazon and wondered if it was at all related to the Encyclopedia Malazica?
If not maybe this is an idea for a future, low budget publication of the encyclopedia when completed. Not sure how it works or how legit these guys are but it's interesting that they've already published something called Malazan Empire.

#8 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

I was unaware of this, and doubt it has anything to do with our wiki, I've certainly not heard anything about it.

I don't imagine the wiki ever getting published in paper form, but those working on the SE approved malazan encyclopedia will probably use the wiki for help.

#9 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:25 AM

Having done a bit of research (literally 10 minutes) into alphascript, it doesn't look like anything official would ever be associated with them... very very dodgy.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#10 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:57 AM

Is this still being actively updated? I'm about to start a reread and I'm gonna take notes, I think, so I'd be interested in contributing if the offer still stands.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#11 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Yep, there are updates being done fairly regularly. All help is definitely appreciated!

#12 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

For those who have not yet visited...

The Malazan Wikia site has replaced the old encyclopedia as the main research source. It currently stands at over 2400 pages...

http://malazan.wikia...ki/Malazan_Wiki

...the artists have uploaded over 100 images for you to look at...

http://malazan.wikia...ategory:Fan_art

...and there is a gallery of maps from all the books including the amazing maps by Werthead and D'rek!

http://malazan.wikia...i/Category:Maps

The best option for viewing
Create a user account, then go to your preferences and change the lay-out to MonoBook. Also choose the 'don't show all ads' option and then click save. This will give your Wiki the look of Wikipedia. The search box is in a much better place as well. Try both options and see which you like best.

Like to have a go at editing?
Lots of new people are joining in the editing fun and most say it's not as difficult as they first thought, so why not try it? Whilst there is a lot of info, more is still missing.

*You do not need to create an account to edit, but it's nice because then we know who is editing.

*You can edit using the drop down menu under 'contribute' in the default skin.

*You can use the MonoBook for editing which means learning a bit of code. That isn't actually that difficult as for most things there are only about four or five code snippets which you use and there is a handy box with commonly used wiki markup codes just below the editing window.

Editing does not need to involve writing lengthy paragraphs. Just open the books on a random page and add one bit of info from that page, like a characters hair colour for example, add in brackets the book and chapter number and job well done. Or simply correct a spelling mistake. Even the smallest contribution helps.

As with any source of information, be aware that if you have not yet read all the books, you might come across spoilers.

It would be great to see you there :p

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users